Pick it Up - Ska in the 90s (2019)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Pick it Up - Ska in the 90s (2019)

Post by Flack »

When I think of ska music, I think of bands like No Doubt, Reel Big Fish, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones -- all members of the third way of ska, I learned from this documentary. The first wave of ska unsurprisingly has its roots in Jamaica. The second wave, which peaked in the late 70s/early 80s, gained popularity with English bands like the Specials and Madness. The third wave -- essentially the only ska I know -- was born in Orange County, California.

This fun documentary interviews every ska band you've ever heard of and dozens you haven't. The majority of the doc is spent on the third wave of ska, starting with early bands like Goldfinger, the Aquabats and Fishbone, and covering the genre's rise in popularity and eventual demise. The documentary starts with an underground swell of ska, and ends with the same music being played in Target commercials. The best thing about this documentary is that every single person that appears on camera is likable. Ska is a happy, uplifting style of music, and apparently so are the people who perform it. Each time a band gets signed, the other bands cheer them on.

If you want to know more about ska music and want to hear some good music in the process, check to this documentary.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Re: Pick it Up - Ska in the 90s (2019)

Post by Jizaboz »

I'll have to check that out! My dad and I really liked the Madness in the 80s when we first saw the One Step Beyond video on MTV. Dad is a saxophone player so he digs the saxophone but was laughing at basically everything in the video too.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻