Android (1982)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Android (1982)

Post by Flack »

It's lonely out in space.

After androids are banned from earth, Dr. Daniel moved his experiments to space. On a private spaceship, Dr. Daniel performs scientific experiments with help from his assistant, Max 404, who looks and speaks like a young adult but has the wonder of a child. Max is obsessed with video games and pop culture and does a good job, but Dr. Daniel is working on a new android -- a female one -- and plans to deactivate Max once the new model is ready.

The action begins when three visitors arrive. Keller, Mendes, and Maggie dock and are invited on board as guests, but Max quickly learns that the three are fugitives of the law. The fugitives want to take the ship for themselves; Dr. Daniel wants to study Maggie so that he can improve his new android, Cassandra; and Daniel, knowing his time is short, wants to leave with the fugitives and go to earth.

The special effects in this film are more realistic than flashy, and better than the film deserves. It's got more in common with Blade Runner than Star Wars -- truth be told, it felt like a 90-minute episode of Star Trek (okay, Battlestar Galactica). There were a few twists I didn't see coming, and somehow this walked away with a PG rating despite half a dozen murders, a beheading, and both female actors appearing topless. The ship models aren't great (more Dark Star than Deathstar), but there's enough there (or not there) to convey the loneliness of space.

Way better than expected. This one goes in the good pile. Now take us home, Max 404!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Re: Android (1982)

Post by Jizaboz »

I have had this saved in my "to watch" list since you first talked about this one. If I have seen it was probably an edited version on Comet TV.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻