Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (2019)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (2019)

Post by Flack »

I used to think there were only two groups of people: those who loved Kevin Smith and would watch any of his movies no matter what the reviews say, and those who have no interest in his films. Over the past decade, a third group has emerged, one I identify with: those of us who loved his early films, but grew up and away from Smith's View Askewniverse.

In Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, the fictional Bluntman and Chronic (a film based on a comic based on Jay and Silent Bob) is being rebooted, and the two stoners decide to travel from New Jersey to Hollywood and try to stop a Jay and Silent Bob film from being made. If this sounds familiar, that's because in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, the pair also traveled from New Jersey to Hollywood to try and stop a Jay and Silent Bob film from being made. The entire joke of the film is that it's a reboot, in which J&SB attempt to prevent a reboot from being made.

After the collapse of Clerks III (which has since found new legs) and a failure to sell Mallrats as a series, Smith wrote Jay and Silent Bob Reboot as a farewell, and as such the film is packed full of cameos and callbacks. Viewers who aren't deeply vested in Smith's universe won't get half the references. When everyone gets in a van, that's funny, because back in 2001, all the characters also rode in a van! When a character appears in a black leather suit, that's also funny, because back in 2001, different characters also wore black leather suits! See how this works?

Along the way Jay discovers that is the father of an 18 year old girl named Millennium Falcon, played by (of course) Smith's real life daughter, Harley Quinn. Five minutes after Smith tells the audience all reboots must be updated to include diversity, "Millie" along with her three friends -- one black, one Asian, and one Iranian -- join the train wreck.

There's a bunch of dirty jokes and distractions before the crew arrive in Hollywood at Chronic-Con to attempt to prevent the filming of Bluntman v Chronic, but you already know what you need to know by now -- are you loyal a fan of Smith's work, are you not, or are you, like, someone who got too old to enjoy one hour and 45 minutes worth of dick and fart (and joint) jokes? View accordingly.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (2019)

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Oh shoot. I couldn't find your thread. But here it is. In the movie base. Well, maybe I can try combining threads.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm After the collapse of Clerks III (which has since found new legs) and a failure to sell Mallrats as a series, Smith wrote Jay and Silent Bob Reboot as a farewell,
Flack, your description tells me that the last word in the above is correctly spelled "cashgrab." Seems like a more honest title for the movie would have been "Kevin Smith Needs More Money."
Flack wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm Along the way Jay discovers that is the father of an 18 year old girl
Who is That? Do we know who That is? Have you met That? Have you seen That? The "I ain't never heard of any country called What," references keep coming to mind. I had to read it twice before I realized you meant "Jay discovers that he is the father." All right, I know it's nit picking but I have to do something to entertain myself from time to time.
Flack wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pmnamed Millennium Falcon,
"What the fuck kind of bullshit is this?" - Dr. Alain Quarles in Paul Robinson's The Gatekeeper: The Gate Contracts

What kid of a sick fuck would name their child after a piece of science fiction technology? Kids in school would tease them mercilessly. "I'd like to introduce my kids to you. Here are the twins, Light Saber and Death Star, my daughter Warp Drive and her brother Jeffereys Tube."
Flack wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm played by (of course) Smith's real life daughter,
I think the last time a director cast his own daughter in a feature film was when Francis ford Coppola cast Sofia in Godfather III. We all saw how well that turned out, didn't we?
Flack wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pmplayed by (of course) Smith's real life daughter, Harley Quinn.
What kid of a sick fuck would name their child after a fictional villain? Kids in school would tease them mercilessly. "I'd like to introduce my kids to you. This is my son Darth Vader and my daughter Catwoman." Kevin Smith might also consider reducing the amount of recreational marijuana he is consuming.
Flack wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm Five minutes after Smith tells the audience all reboots must be updated to include diversity, "Millie" along with her three friends -- one black, one Asian, and one Iranian -- join the train wreck.
There seems to be this insidious form of "political correctness" in which characters in a story - and those playing them - are selected, not for their acting chops or how it drives the story, but to show how enlightened the director is.

The recent Ghostbusters remake, featuring all women. Fine, it's a cute gimmick. But put in actresses known for doing comedy well in a movie. Whoopi Goldberg or Wanda Sykes, among others. Make sure the jokes work. The necessary basis of a comedy movie is first a comedic script, and second, actors who can do comedy. If it works in context then you can select for other things such as diversity. The original was able to hire a lesser-known negro actor as the straight man because the other three were very strong comedic actors and even if he didn't do well it would still work. That he was a fairly good straight man just added to the movie.
Flack wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm There's a bunch of dirty jokes and distractions before the crew arrive in Hollywood at Chronic-Con to attempt to prevent the filming of Bluntman v Chronic
okay, first, telling dirty jokes is the lowest grade of humor, and probably works in live shows where there is an audience. But I don't think it works in a movie.

Not exactly sure what ir is they plan to do to "stop it. Do they own the characters Buttman and Chronic? If not, they have no grounds to stop it. If they do, and they licensed it, they also have no grounds to stop it. Otherwise they could sue and potentially collect a huge award of damages and an injunction to stop the film.

Now, if they want to picket the studio, they have every right to do so. Same for picketing the places where filming occurs if in location. Post criticism on Social Media. But anything else will get them quickly arrested for disturbing the peace - if they maake a lot of noise - or trespassing - if they enter the studio or a shooting set without permission - and in bad enough cases the production company can get a restraining order. A studio with millions of dollars riding on a film is not going to let a couple of punks act illegally to stop it.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

"Women: A cute gimmick."