Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Re: The Mandalorian SPOILERS

Post by pinback »

Sorry, I meant "where either of those movies wasn't in the top 50."

Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry sorry sorry.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

uruzrune

Post by uruzrune »

We've had this discussion in Discord. Just because they were technical marvels of their time, and define "high cinema" for their age, doesn't make them good movies.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, my point is that these are lists of GREAT, not "good" movies, and the two you busted me for liking appear on every single such list in the universe. Which sure, just because everyone says they're great doesn't mean they are. Just saying, that was not the sickest burn I've ever been the victim of.

pinback

Post by pinback »

After watching S2E2, it seems they've switched from pure storytelling to trying to show the coolest thing you've ever seen every week.

I'm okay with this. S2E2 is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Hey, what was the name of those versions of Star Wars where the guy restored the first three original screen versions on dvd? I used to have them but when I went to play them last Sunday they were the special editions, and not very good copies at that.

THE
EWWW,
MCGREGOR!
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Despecialized.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Yeah, Harmy's Despecialized was the original, and if you're only going to get one, get that one. 4K77 was the new hotness (a 4k scan of an original theater print) and they also did 4k83 but haven't finished 4k80 (Empire) yet.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

For being, you know, a Mandalorian and all, ol' Mando sure has a bad sense of who to trust.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Bayley betrayed Sasha with next to zero character motivation .. so Sasha became a Mandalorian to get her revenge!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:59 pm For being, you know, a Mandalorian and all, ol' Mando sure has a bad sense of who to trust.
Yeah, this was the weakest one of the season so far, but had one of the best scenes. The Stormtrooper being hesitant to close the doors in the transport because he knew what was gonna happen was great.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

So whatsername is a Trump-loving disgusting dumb bitch. That doesn't bother me while watching the show, because she's also not a very good actor, and I'm glad she's not featured more prominently.

You have to separate the art (which in her case is pretty bad) from the artist (which in this case is pathetic and nauseating.)

Pretty cool episode, though. I feel like the show has switched to a formula of "set up some dumb story so that the last half can just be a super-sweet display of special effects and cool Star Wars shit." Which is perhaps not aiming terribly high from an artistic perspective, but boy is it fun to watch.

Flack

Post by Flack »

The episodes seem to be pretty interchangeable at this point. Like, the last episode was Mando lands somewhere to get his ship fixed, begins and ends a mission in 30 minutes, and then flies away. The Krayt dragon episode was the same thing. The last episode was the same way, except for the big reveal which... uggggghhh.

I was perfectly fine with a stand alone series that didn't tie directly back to the movies, but they just haaaaad to do it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Spoilers, questions, and comments for S02E06
#######################################

Every episode this season has consisted of the Mandalorian going on one episode missions. In episode four, Mando went on a one-off mission (to destroy an Imperial base), was told to find Ahsoka, who would train the child. In episode episode five, went on a one-off mission, found Ahsoka, but was told she wouldn't train him and sent to a rock formation that would allow Grogu (formerly known as The Child or Baby Yoda) to call Jedi. That brings us to episode six.

01. This episode begins a lot of poorly executed exposition. The entire mission (and point of the show) is repeated by Mando to a child that can't respond. So much is recapped that it's like the episode was designed for people who have never watched it before. Because I've got Jaws on the mind, it would be like Hooper going up on the deck in act three and talking to the ocean, reminding it and the audience that we're looking for a shark. Mando literally says, "I can't train you. I have to take you to the Jedi temple, remember? I promised to take you to your people, right?" It's so redundant it hurts.

02. With everything Mando does wrong it's amazing that he wasn't killed five minutes into his career as a bounty hunter. First of all, apparently no ship has the ability to detect that a homing beacon has been attached to it. Windows 10 comes with a firewall that tells me every time my computer tries to connect to a strange website. No ship has the ability to detect a beacon strong enough to broadcast a signal millions of miles away? Then when Mando lands his ship on this foreign planet that he knows nothing about, he leaves his ship's door wide open. I live in a gated neighborhood, but I still shut my car doors at night.

03. Yet again, Mando leaves Baby Yo-- GROGU alone. Without fail, in every episode Mando will remind the audience how important the child is, and then leave it somewhere. If I wake up in the morning and my cell phone isn't on my night stand, I flip out. Grogu my be the most important baby in the universe. He uses the Force, is the entire crux of the Empire's new plan, and may rebuild the Jedi. Can we quit taking him to new locations and leaving him alone?

04. The old cliché of Stormtroopers not being able to hit anything is getting old. In episode six, two ships with a hundred Stormtroopers each arrive and our merry band of three are like "welp, I guess we'll shoot those guys." Toward the end, when they suddenly begin hitting their target, we're reminded that Mandalorian armor is pretty much indestructible as dozens of laser bolts bounce off him. I'm reminded of the old joke, "why don't they build the airplane out of the same thing they build the black box out of?" I get it, beskar metal is rare, but Jesus Christ. Every Stormtrooper battle looks like the beginning of Saving Private Ryan but without the handful of survivors. The Mandalorian takes place five years after Jedi, which means every remaining Stormtrooper has walked into a bar and heard people snickering and whispering, "that's one of those guys who got their asses kicked by EWOKS." The last dozen troopers are taken out with Boba Fett who is welding a Gaffe stick (Tusken Raider weapon). Think about the paperwork on that.

"And so Boba Fett took out 12 men with his rockets?"
"No, no. He just had a metal stick."
"A metal stick that fired lasers though, right?"
"Nope. It's just a heavy stick. It's pointy though. Mighty sharp."
"And how did all our Stormtroopers become unarmed?"
"They-- wait, no. They were all armed. State of the art blasters. Yup. All of 'em."

05. I was very confused by the scene in which Stormtroopers appear to recognize Boba Fett and retreat in fear. First of all, everyone in the galaxy thinks Boba Fett has been dead for five years. Second, I don't know what Boba Fett's reputation was across the galaxy. Was he a household name? I don't know. Maybe? But three, "Boba Fett" doesn't really look much like Boba Fett. His armor looks like it's been sandblasted, and underneath instead of a gray jumpsuit, he's wearing a cloak/cape outfit. You might say, oh, well the armor is so legendary that people would recoil from it, but nobody was doing that at the last planet when that dopey sheriff was wearing it around. Frankly, the Mandalorian looks a lot more like Boba Fett than Boba Fett does, and nobody seems to be scared of him at all.

06. I just wanted to say that the line "put it in shackles" cranked me up, as if Stormtroopers walk around carrying handcuffs that fit Baby Yodas. Even in Return of the Jedi, when Vader saw Luke in those metal binders he was like, "yo, that's stupid. This kid's a Jedi." I've seen meth heads on COPS escape from handcuffs. If the most powerful Force user in the galaxy can't escape from them, perhaps we've put our eggs in the wrong floating metal basket.

pinback

Post by pinback »

You make fine point, and I am not arguing with you.

I do believe this episode was particularly aimed at superfans, and trust me that even as I freely label you a superfan, it is not in a derogatory fashion. My wife is one. She makes fun of me for not knowing the name of the species of that one weird alien barely on-screen in the background. I can barely follow the main plot of the show, and it's -- forgive me, Favreau, not that complicated a show.

I think this entire show's (and this episode in particular) audience is split three ways:

1. Superfans who will (rightly, let me reiterate) tear apart its inconsistencies and plot holes (while hopefully still enjoying its better qualities.)
2. Superfans who will revel in seeing their lesser-known favorites on the screen doing cool stuff. (My wife loved it, and told me beforehand that a lot of the other superfans said it was the best episode ever.)
3. Non-superfans going, cool, baby Yoda and big spiders and TIE fighters and shit.

I think you're in Camp #1. I am firmly in Camp #3.

I'm glad it's there for us to enjoy in our own ways, even when it doesn't make any sense. Which it doesn't.

That being said, I liked the Doctor Who episode we watched last night, and my wife (also the bigger fan of the Doctor) didn't, and was complaining about the dumb plot and how it didn't make any sense, and I retorted, this show is about a time-travelling alien zipping around time and space in a blue box. I'm... I'm okay not pulling a lot of threads on this one. And so it is with Mandalorian.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hey guys, I found someone who was better equipped for tonight's episode than Mando

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:02 am 06. I just wanted to say that the line "put it in shackles" cranked me up, as if Stormtroopers walk around carrying handcuffs that fit Baby Yodas. Even in Return of the Jedi, when Vader saw Luke in those metal binders he was like, "yo, that's stupid. This kid's a Jedi." I've seen meth heads on COPS escape from handcuffs. If the most powerful Force user in the galaxy can't escape from them, perhaps we've put our eggs in the wrong floating metal basket.
He can't break those cuffs

Flack

Post by Flack »

I think I needed a Snickers bar earlier or something. I've now watched the episode three times -- once alone, once with the wife, and once with my buddy Jeff. I know I came off as a member of Camp #1, but I am really in Camp #2. I have been reading about Dark Troopers since I first dabbled in the Star Wars RPG, and geeked the hell out when they appeared on screen. I complained about the Stormtroopers retreating from Boba Fett, but in all fairness he had just slaughtered at least 20 of them with a fucking pointy stick. That shot of Boba looking toward the camera with the music cue announcing "I'm back" may be tied for the coolest Star Wars scene I've seen since 1983 (the other being the ending of Rogue One). I do still wonder how Mando made it to where he is by how careless he's been, but we all have bad days.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

People are complaining about the fact Mando left his jetpack when the empire came. Obviously the show made that character mistake as a plot shortcut because otherwise Mando could have just jetted up to the dark troopers, destroyed 3 and harpooned the fourth to grab the kid. Would have stopped the next episode plotline at least.

I find the common denominator of most of the series to be lazy writing. Still fun and going to finish it though.

Ice Cream Jonsey

And he can also get it via remote control.

I think they could have fixed their story. They showed that Fett's jetpack can start if it gets kicked, which was a hilarious callback. It is very understandable that they "fixed" that in jetpacks that were made more recently - like what Mando has - if you turn it off there is a boot up sequence that takes forever if you do a cold boot.

I have now fixed Star Wars.

pinback

Post by pinback »

So I guess... I guess we're done with that arc? Time for the Boba Show?