The Mandalorian SPOILERS

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Mandalorian SPOILERS

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This is the first Star Wars thing I've really liked since I was 9 years old. Jesus Christ they knocked it out of the park with this one. (At least the first episode.)

EDIT: There are some spoilers later down, be warned. Avoid this thread until you have seen the first episode.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by Flack »

I'm a little concerned that they're letting a different director handle every episode, but yeah, that first one was awesome. I think it might have been the first Star Wars thing I've watched that felt like it was intended for adults.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Jesus, now I have to sign up for yet another damn streaming service? Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and now Disney+ (which I read is getting all the simpsons now)? I really think I ought to get credit for disney+ consider I'm already paying for several fucking Disney channels on Xfinity. I guess I'll have to wait for a few episodes of this (and your reviews) to try it for its free 7 day trial and just binge them.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

oh, nevermind, I get a free year with Verizon so that's good.

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 pm This is the first Star Wars thing I've really liked since I was 9 years old. Jesus Christ they knocked it out of the park with this one. (At least the first episode.)
Thought it was really good. Loved the fight scene at the end and they found a baby yoda. The The Mandalorian seemed a good actor even though he's not a well known guy. Its good they gave Carl Weathers a job, always liked him. Bounty hunter droid kicked some royal ass. I love all of the weapons the Mandalorian has at his disposal, lots of good action. Like Flack said, hopefully the next director doesn't fuck it up. I actually usually like that these streaming shows use lots of different directors: The Ozarks, The Last Kingdom, Frontier, Yellowstone (not sure about this one but they're all great), and of course House of Cards which was mostly good until the last season. The different directors in lots of the shows actually add variety to a serialized show. Though Lucasfilm and Disney never miss a chance to fuck up Star Wars so we'll see what happens.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:02 pm Jesus, now I have to sign up for yet another damn streaming service? Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and now Disney+ (which I read is getting all the simpsons now)? I really think I ought to get credit for disney+ consider I'm already paying for several fucking Disney channels on Xfinity. I guess I'll have to wait for a few episodes of this (and your reviews) to try it for its free 7 day trial and just binge them.
I mean, you have to do that if you want to watch it when it originally runs, but it's, ah, out there.

Disney is getting laws rewritten in this country to serve their own interests, I don't really care if I watch their new show illicitly. They have acted like pigs for decades.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:02 pm Jesus, now I have to sign up for yet another damn streaming service?
It was on usenet about four hours after it debuted.

(EDIT: the first two episodes are now up.)

Casual Observer

Re: The Mandalorian SPOILERS

Second one is good too. Damn that yoda baby is fucking cute.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

I have not viewed this program.

Casual Observer

Third one had less action but more heart. Still enjoying it but cautiously skeptical.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

I have now viewed this program through Episode 3 (S01E03).

Ice Cream Jonsey

ChainGangGuy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:52 am I have now viewed this program through Episode 3 (S01E03).
I haven't seen 3 yet. I'm on a flight tomorrow and I kind of think flights go faster with TV. I need this show!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Gerrit, what are your thoughts so far??

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:19 am
ChainGangGuy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:52 am I have now viewed this program through Episode 3 (S01E03).
I haven't seen 3 yet. I'm on a flight tomorrow and I kind of think flights go faster with TV. I need this show!
We need an official JC cloud deposit and/or ftp site. Somebody with some AWS or Linode space, get on it.

Casual Observer

Flack wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:13 am We need an official JC cloud deposit and/or ftp site. Somebody with some AWS or Linode space, get on it.
I only have drive and I'm quite sure they would refuse it or rat me out.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have now seen episode 3.

I will give them credit for making the show appealing to people with a soft spot for BABIES. Let me explain.

Last year we adopted a cat named Clyde. His owner died so he went to the shelter. He's a really good cat, hasn't misbehaved once in a year and most of our pets are undisciplined lunatics.

He's a little shy, he stays downstairs a lot but the last two weeks he's been coming upstairs as the rest of us spend the night by the fire.

On Saturday he was in the bedroom closet and I went in there to get my clothes for the day. He kept coming out, seeing me look at him and then, when I finally followed, he went to all the Christmas presents that Melissa bought and placed in the closet and rubbed his chin on them as I sat down to hang out with him. It was like he was saying HAY, look at all this cool new stuff!

Adorable.

So when the baby made that sound as Herzog and the other idiot took him away, it made me feel something inside, for like the first time ever in a Star Wars thing.

It's a good show!

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 pm he went to all the Christmas presents that Melissa bought and placed in the closet and rubbed his chin on them as I sat down to hang out with him. It was like he was saying HAY, look at all this cool new stuff!
Wait, your girl is so damn organized that she's already done her Xmas shopping? Didn't even wait to cybermonday, wow. My wife gives me her list and I wait until like the day before christmas. I tell her what I'm buying myself and then I usually get around to it. I actually really hated xmas for the first 90% of our relationship because it was always about her and always just cost me. I'm ok with it now but it's not magical or anything.

I enjoyed the 3rd episode, still loving baby yoda. It reminds me of a lop eared bunny except that it seemingly doesn't shit everywhere.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:22 am Gerrit, what are your thoughts so far??
I enjoyed it just fine. The writing is decent, not great - it feels like a top-notch Saturday Morning cartoon, particularly given its runtime, that still takes itself reasonably seriously, so far (even with the Rocketeer salute at the end of the third episode).

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:08 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 pm he went to all the Christmas presents that Melissa bought and placed in the closet and rubbed his chin on them as I sat down to hang out with him. It was like he was saying HAY, look at all this cool new stuff!
Wait, your girl is so damn organized that she's already done her Xmas shopping? Didn't even wait to cybermonday, wow. My wife gives me her list and I wait until like the day before christmas. I tell her what I'm buying myself and then I usually get around to it. I actually really hated xmas for the first 90% of our relationship because it was always about her and always just cost me. I'm ok with it now but it's not magical or anything.

I enjoyed the 3rd episode, still loving baby yoda. It reminds me of a lop eared bunny except that it seemingly doesn't shit everywhere.
She'll get gifts for people all year long. My take is to not do that because Christmas is punishment and one of the punishments if shopping at the last second to prove love. She, not being insane, us able to get gifts in February for the following Christmas. I admire and respect it. I'm targeting 12/22 for everyone personally.