3 From Hell (2019)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

3 From Hell (2019)

Post by Flack »

3 From Hell is the third Rob Zombie film in his "Firefly" series, following House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. I liked Corpses only because it was essentially a Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, thought the sequel was little more than an excuse to shock people, and went into 3 From Hell fully expecting not to enjoy it. In that aspect, I was not disappointed.

The Devil's Rejects (the second film in the series) ended with the three remaining members of the Firefly family -- Otis, Captain Spaulding, and Baby -- drive headfirst into a police roadblock on a suicide mission as Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird" wails in the background. As the bullets begin to fly, it seems impossible that any one of the three -- much less all three -- would survive the onslaught.

As 3 From Hell opens, we learn through a series of news reports that that's exactly what happened. Although each Firefly sustained "more than 20 bullet wounds each," the trio survived. Ten years later when the story picks up, Captain Spaulding is executed by the state while Otis and Baby remain behind bars. (The frail Sig Haag was physically incapable of making this film, and passed away with days of its release.) Otis -- "Public Enemy Number One", and a man who was convicted of 50 murders in the "largest murder trial in history" -- somehow ends up digging ditches on a chain gang, and is freed by his step-brother, "the Midnight Wolfman" (who essentially takes over Spaulding's role). Meanwhile, Baby -- a woman who personally murdered 50 people, received 50 life sentences, has 158 prison violations, and is very clearly insane -- goes up for parole after serving 10 years. Surprisingly, she is denied.

By the end of the first half Baby has been freed from prison, and after a short bloody distraction at a nearby hotel, the three end up in Mexico. As Hollywood would have it, the sleepy hotel in the nothing town the trio stop in happens to have a tenuous connection to their past, one that ultimately sends local drug lords to their location armed with machine guns and luchador masks. By the end, bullets and buckets will be served by the bucket.

For roughly two hours, the Firefly family kill people. Some of them deserve it and some don't. At best, it's bad people killing other bad people. At it's worst, it's a trio of maniacs killing people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Re: 3 From Hell (2019)

Post by Jizaboz »

I did not even know there was a sequel to this. Is it better than Devils Rejects?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻