Child's Play (2019)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Child's Play (2019)

Post by Flack »

In the original (1988) version of Child's Play, a dying serial killer (Charles Lee Ray) transfers his soul into a doll by performing a Haitian Voodoo ritual. This led to a lot more killing (and at least four sequels), but I think we can all agree on this "how realistic is this plot on a scale of 1-10," the plot of the original film scores a hard zero.

In the 2019 remake (reimagining?), the setup is a little different. This time around, "Buddi" dolls are made by the Kaslan Corporation (think "Amazon"). The dolls play games and entertain children, but they're also walking-talking smart hubs designed to interface with all Kaslan products. Once you sync your Buddi doll to the cloud, it can control your Kaslan television, your Kaslan security cameras, and any other Kaslan device you happen to own. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea didn't see the first film.

Like the original, the plot revolves around "Chucky" being purchased by a family, a lot of choppy-choppy, and a lonely kid initially taking the blame. The difference this time around is, it's hard not to feel sorry for Chucky -- he's programmed, after all, to be loyal to his human buddy at all times. So what's an animatronic doll to do when his best friend says he wishes the asshole his mom is dating was dead? It doesn't help things that the doll witnesses his surrogate family watching horror movies and laughing as people are killed. Life is confusing for dolls!

That's not to say the movie isn't ridiculous, and halfway through the film you discover why linking your psycho doll to your Kaslan rototiller might night be a good idea, but what I'm saying is, maybe it's not as far-fetched as we would all like to think.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Child's Play (2019)

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I gotta remember to watch this one. Are you up on the histories of your Chucky movies, Flack? Have you seen them all?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I want to see this as I have seen all Chucky movies many times. The human female version of Chucky’s bride.. hrmmmmgh
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:36 pm I gotta remember to watch this one. Are you up on the histories of your Chucky movies, Flack? Have you seen them all?
I have seen them all, yes. First two were great, third was forgettable, fourth (Bride of Chucky) was when things started getting insane. Here's the Wikipedia summary of movie #5, 2004's "Seed of Chucky":

"Chucky and Tiffany's child Glen finds his parents six years later, in 2004, and brings them back to life, but is horrified by their murders. Chucky and Tiffany force a pregnancy on actress Jennifer Tilly, which is accelerated by voodoo magic. Glen suffers a split personality disorder, having both a male and female soul in his/her body, and dismembers his father. Tiffany uses the ritual to take over Tilly's body and as Tilly bears twins, Glen's dual personality now has a body each of its own. In an epilogue set five years later, in 2009, one of Chucky's severed arms is mailed to the home of his family, where it attacks the now-human Glen."

The 2013 and 2017 movies (Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky) were both direct-to-video releases. The 2019 remake has breathed live back into the franchise, and the original writer/director is working on a television show as well as another film. According to Wikipedia, the director still hopes to someday make "Child's Play on Elm Street," a Chucky/Freddy crossover.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I do not want to see anything like this, and I suspect it would make me go "up Chucky."

The dangers of linking everything together has been explored a lot of times in fiction, even going back to 50's sci-fi radio shows like X Minus One. Usually you get "cascade failures," in which some small and minor problem "snowballs," as it triggers more failures and the problem keeps escalating until it becomes an out-of-control disaster. Much like my postings here.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

The first one really is the best. I could watch the part where Chucky first "comes alive" to the Mom. "You stupid bitch!" lolol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

*watch the part 100x
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

One detail I left out is that new Chucky is voiced by Mark Hamill.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:10 pm One detail I left out is that new Chucky is voiced by Mark Hamill.
Neat!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻