Now this is both funny and ridiculous: The Big Book of Orgasms, e-bool, $14.31

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Now this is both funny and ridiculous: The Big Book of Orgasms, e-bool, $14.31

Post by Tdarcos »

I thought the title of this book was cute and funny, until I saw the price, and thought, "how stupid."

The Big Book of Orgasms: 69 Sexy Stories Paperback – October 15, 2013
by Lady Cheeky (Author), Rachel Kramer Bussel (Editor), T. Fox Dunham (Contributor)

Hmm. I wonder where the idea to select exactly 69 stories came from? Perhaps that number has some, ahem, significance to the subject of sexuality in general and orgasm in particular?

Let me get (this) off (my chest). Here's the blurb:
What happens when you bring together 69 authors sharing their hottest orgasm stories? If you have top notch erotica editor Rachel Kramer Bussel, you get The Big Book of Orgasms! This climactic collection captures top erotica writers serving up steamy scenarios all focused on The Big O. Whether getting off from exhibitionism, voyeurism, or a very special pair of blue jeans, the characters in The Big Book of Orgasms explore all sorts of ways they can come. Go "Under the Table" with Elizabeth Coldwell and cheer for "The Pink Team" by Kelly Rand. Discover the thrill of hot wax and even hotter sex; these short stories bring the heat on every page! With a foreword by Ecstasy is Necessary author Barbara Carrellas, these are climaxes you'll want to relive again and again.

Dr. Ruth once said about Rachel Kramer Bussel, "she is only satisfied if you come and come again." With this rousing read, The Big Book of Orgasms counts all the wonderful ways women get off. Inspirational as well as aspirational, this book celebrates women's sexuality by reaching new heights of excellence. Each of the 69 stories about "the big O" is a peak experience in and of itself.

Overpriced at $14.31 (List Price: $15.95, Save: $1.64 [10%]). Wow! A ten percent discount off the printed book price! Whoop tee doo. Something tells me publisher Cleis Press of Berkely, California knows nothing about e-book pricing.

You're taking a manuscript in electronic form (usually Microsoft Word), that was already set up for publishing, the tools to convert to an e-book are free, there is no up front cost to publish an e-book on Amazon (cost of delivery is 15c for books under 3 megabytes, and is subtracted from the sales price). The effort to reformat for e-book is probably minor: maybe 2 - 3 hours for a person having done it before. It's also not a recent book, it's 6½ years old. Digital publishing requires no expenditure for printing, shipping or returns, so the cost is less. Substantially less. And it's not a hot, new book.The price should reflect all these factors. And there is another reason it should be cheaper.

The royalty rates are better on less expensive books. Amazon pays 35% royalty on (1) books sold outside of the top roughly 30 countries; (2) books below $2.99 or above $9.99; (3) books not discounted at least 20% off the print edition price. If it is outside of all three of these exclusions it's elligible for a whopping 70% royalty.

So lets look at this for a moment. The Kindle price is $14.31 minus 15c delivery fee is $14.16 so 35% is $4.95. Now, let's price this book at $8.99. Subtract 0.15 gets you 8.84, and 70% of that is $6.18. At the maximum $9.99 add 70c to $6.88. They are losing at least a minimum of a buck and a half to (almost) two dollars, plus at a lower price they'd probably sell more books.

They are leaving money on the table by pricing the e-book too high. I wonder what the author thinks or if she knows about it. Probably not.

The climax to this story is they are losing money by being greedy instead of practical. And that can't feel good, no matter what the book's subject is.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Re: Now this is both funny and ridiculous: The Big Book of Orgasms, e-bool, $14.31

Post by AArdvark »

Tdarcos

Re: Now this is both funny and ridiculous: The Big Book of Orgasms, e-book, $14.31

Post by Tdarcos »

In my midnight confessions
When I tell all the things that I want to
- The Grass Roots, Midnight Confessions
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Re: Now this is both funny and ridiculous: The Big Book of Orgasms, e-bool, $14.31

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:40 pm So lets look at this for a moment. The Kindle price is $14.31 minus 15c delivery fee is $14.16 so 35% is $4.95. Now, let's price this book at $8.99. Subtract 0.15 gets you 8.84, and 70% of that is $6.18. At the maximum $9.99 add 70c to $6.88. They are losing at least a minimum of a buck and a half to (almost) two dollars, plus at a lower price they'd probably sell more books.
...and then splitting those amazingly high profits between 69 authors, plus the publisher.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Books like this buy the stories at flat-rate, usually something sad like $0-$100, so the royalty goes to the editor, and the publisher is paid out of the remainder between whatever this math is and amazon's %33 or so cut.