What is consent?

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

What is consent?

Post by Tdarcos »

I think one of the problems that occur in certain situations such as girls who've had a bit too much to drink and someone takes advantage of them. Yet, we don't consider being drunk to lessen one's responsibility if they are also operating a motor vehicle.

I think part of the problem is we don't really have a simple definition of "consent.' If you ever looked at a telephone book anywhere in the US, they all had the same definition of " emergency," which allowed you to demand exclusive use of a party line or a pay telephone: "An 'emergency' is a situation where life or property is in jeopardy and the prompt summoning of aid is essential."

So perhaps we can come up with a short, simple definition of 'consent' so people can stop being confused. How about this: "'Consent' is a condition where a person is capable of declining or refusing to participate in a sexual act and chooses not to do so."

Let's hear your comments.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Billy Mays

Re: What is consent?

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:09 pm"An 'emergency' is a situation where life or property is in jeopardy and the prompt summoning of aid is essential."
Property is not a factor used for determining an emergency.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So flooding is not an emergency?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

AArdvark wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:13 am So flooding is not an emergency?
It is, but only in regards to the threat it poses to life. Property often has a tangential relationship with emergencies but it is never a factor in determining one.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Sure it is. Nobody's being killed by the flooding but the collective property damage is enormous enough to warrant a state emergency. What all this has to do with consent in relationships is puzzling to me however.

THE
GOLDILOCKS
AND THE THREE
CONSENTING BEARS
AARDVARK

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

I'm sorry for sidetracking your guys' rape loopholes conversation but I couldn't allow Tdarcos to get away with fake quotes no matter how much he is the soul of this place.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:47 pm Property is not a factor used for determining an emergency.
Oh yes it is. If your house is on fire, you definitely have an emergency, your property is in jeopardy. If your dog is hit by a car, you need to get it to the vet, your property is in jeopardy.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:54 am I'm sorry for sidetracking your guys' rape loopholes conversation but I couldn't allow Tdarcos to get away with fake quotes no matter how much he is the soul of this place.
What do you mean by "fake quote"? Have you ever seen a telephone company white pages? I memorized the definition. If you disagree, please name the telephone directory that is different.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:43 pm If your house is on fire, you definitely have an emergency, your property is in jeopardy. If your dog is hit by a car, you need to get it to the vet, your property is in jeopardy.
The fire department isn't concerned about saving your house, they only care about saving your life. After the fire is put out, they come in and completely gut the inside of the property by tearing out walls, ripping out carpet, slicing up furniture and breaking open appliances to ensure no loose embers were missed that could spark the fire back up and spread to adjacent buildings where again the only concern is the threat that that would cause to life. And they are quite thorough in all regards.

Your dog isn't your property, it is your pet so therefor a life you take responsibility for.

Flooding kills people all the time, state or national emergencies are issued to minimize casualties from the disaster.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:46 pmWhat do you mean by "fake quote"? Have you ever seen a telephone company white pages? I memorized the definition. If you disagree, please name the telephone directory that is different.
If you can make a youtube video that shows a telephone book that defines an emergency as including property then I will never call into question the accuracy of any of your quotes again. However, if you are not able to do that then you have to make a youtube video about phone books or anything even remotely related to phone books in general and then in return I will also not question your quotes again.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:06 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:43 pm If your house is on fire, you definitely have an emergency, your property is in jeopardy. If your dog is hit by a car, you need to get it to the vet, your property is in jeopardy.
The fire department isn't concerned about saving your house, they only care about saving your life.
Bullshit. If a known unoccupied building is on fire they will still put it out. If a wiseass sets a Dumpster on fire, they will come out to put it out. I ain't seen many ads advertising Dumpster apartment rentals. Why do Fire Departments put out refinery fires even when the refinery is unocupied? A Fire Department puts out fires whether or not people are endangered.

Exactly whom is being saved when the Fire Service and sometimes National Guard go out to stop wildfires in remote - read "unoccupied" - forests?

Your own example of them tearing into a house is an example of making sure a fire does not reignite notwithstanding the current occupancy of the building. If someone torches an unoccupied structure the Fire Department will still come out to extinguish the fire.

Why don't you call the local nonemergency number for Fire and EMS and ask if they only handle fires where people are endangered, or will they put out fires at unoccupied structures?
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Billy Mays wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:59 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:46 pmWhat do you mean by "fake quote"? Have you ever seen a telephone company white pages? I memorized the definition. If you disagree, please name the telephone directory that is different.
If you can make a youtube video that shows a telephone book
(1) I happen to be flat on my back and unable to go anywhere, did you forget? (2) Telephone Companies no longer print directories since a small and little-noticed computer network called "The Internet" came out.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Are there any residents or staff members there you could do a youtube interview on regarding old phone books before the internet? I think that would help out a lot in shedding some light on the topic.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I have a response, and I'll use Colorado as the example. Essentially the same thing appears in section 384 of the California Penal code, as well as similar laws in other states.

Colorado Revised Statutes Annotated
18-9-307. Refusal to yield party line
(1) The following definitions are applicable to this section:
(a) "Party line" means a subscribers' line telephone circuit, consisting of two or more main telephone stations connected therewith, each station with a distinctive ring or telephone number.
(b) "Emergency" means a situation in which property or human safety is in jeopardy and the prompt summoning of aid is essential.
(2) Any person who willfully refuses to immediately yield or surrender the use of a party line when informed that the line is needed for an emergency call to a fire department, or police department, or sheriff's office or for medical aid or ambulance service commits a class 1 petty offense. This section shall not apply to persons using a party line for such an emergency call.
(3) Any person who requests the use of a party line on the pretext that an emergency exists, knowing that no emergency in fact exists, commits a class 1 petty offense, punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars.

18-9-308. Telephone directories to contain notice
Every telephone directory published for distribution to the members of the general public shall contain a notice which explains the provisions of section 18-9-307. Such notice shall be printed in type which is no smaller than ten-point type and shall be preceded by the word "WARNING". The provisions of this section shall not apply to those directories distributed solely for business advertising purposes, commonly known as classified directories. Any person, firm, or corporation providing telephone service which distributes or causes to be distributed in this state telephone directories which are subject to the provisions of this section and which do not contain the notice provided for in this section commits a class 1 petty offense.

- - - -
Checkmate. Game over.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Ninety days later and Billy is dead.

THE
DOLLAR SHORT
AARDVARK