Jizaboz's Halloween Movies and Shows (2022)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Jizaboz's Halloween Movies and Shows (2022)

Post by Jizaboz »

I've decided to try to do short reviews of Halloween themed movies and shows this year.

First up:

Black Roses (1988)

If this movie doesn't has you hooked within 5 minutes, it's not for you. When I was around 12 years old, I was fascinated by the idea of a "scary band" actually being real monsters, aliens, or something else as equally disturbing. This movie makes that fascination come alive complete with an awesome soundtrack by Metal Blade records. It's cool, gruesome, and funny. Maybe if I was younger I'd find it a bit scary but there really isn't any nightmare fuel here for me which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.

I don't know how I missed this movie back in the day considered it was released by Troma but I recently saw it the other day on Shudder.

4 stars out of 5

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Re: Jizaboz's Halloween Movies and Shows (2022)

Post by Tdarcos »

Notice how the bandleader's name is Damien? I can guess his other two names have six letters each/ This was a common trope of the '80s that the Devil would have a name where all three parts each had six letters, which ties it to the Biblical claim in Revelations chapter 13, that 1the Antichrist would have a name, and a number:
  • 13:15 The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.
  • 13:16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads,
  • 13:17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.
  • 13:18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.
But it could be, it's tried to hide this, because, "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects.

I think this idea to be ridiculous, and there's no significance to someone's name having 6 letters, and I don't want anyone to think that.
Sincerely,
Tansin Arogan Darcos
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:30 pm I think this idea to be ridiculous, and there's no significance to someone's name having 6 letters, and I don't want anyone to think that.
Sincerely,
Tansin Arogan Darcos
Thank you for this awesome analysis! :twisted:

I never studied any version of the bible much, so really I'm glad you made these connections I've heard vague references to before. This movie definitely exploited the "Satanic Panic" if you will, and that's what makes it so fun.

BTW: Would you like a month of Shudder TV to watch horror movies this month? How about a month of Discovery+ to see the latest "Ghost Adventures" and other newest paranormal shows? I'll hook you up, bro!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Let's get this man some Shudder!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:23 pm Let's get this man some Shudder!
The legend that stated "THERE'S NO FUCKING SPIRIT HERE" deserves no less for Halloween. Hell, let's get him Discovery+ too so he can start breaking down the science with me behind scenes on shows like Ghost Adventures, Skin Walker Ranch, and Blind Frog Ranch. You can easily go through all the good stuff in 1 to 2 months across them both. I'll buy one of em if he actually cares to watch this sort of thing.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

The Mutilator (1984)

This one caught my interest as I saw in the Carteret Times https://www.carolinacoastonline.com/ent ... 14076.html that they are making a part 2 there now. I figured it was worth a watch because this area is my 2nd home, but I was mistaken.

This movie drags a lot. Had boring acting. I can't even call it bad it's just boring. It is very accurate on a local level as far as people talking about fishing; complete with triangle lead pier-fishing weights thrown dart-board style. It makes the Atlantic Beach, NC area look even more "boring" (AKA tourism hasn't completely ruined it) than today which is pretty cool. Nice beach and pier camera shots.

Things get boring here real quick with people just spending too much time in a room talking to each other. Around an hour and 5 minutes in, the audio gets a bit out of synch but at least we are treated to two girls wandering outside their beach house in their nighties complete with ocean views calling someone's name with fake Jaws music playing!

WTF is up with the stuffed wild cat on the wall? That's something you don't commonly see around here. OH SHIT that giant fish-hook kill on the workbench! DAYUMMM!! Ok, that was crazy. The use of the car cigarette lighter was interesting. My uncle was cast in a low-budget movie where he plays a thug in the backseat beside the hero in a car. The hero grabs the cigarette lighter and burns my uncle's eye, making him yell and jump out the car. His back was fuct for days and the pictures I saw of the makeup looked awesome but the gore was never shown in the final version.. and the final version probably only made it to a few local mom and pop VHS rental spots.

Giving this one 2 & 1/2 stars out of 5. It's mostly boring, but has some great older shots of my surfing/fishing stomping grounds, a couple of nice looking actresses, and some brutal kills.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Dark Glasses (2022)

A new movie from from good ol' Italian Dario Argento. This movie is subtitled, so try to to be too wasted when you go to watch it. In this film, the lead actress is very convincing and really sells each scene she stars in well. As someone who knows what it's like to be blinded, I felt the way this movie portrayed the fears of the unknown when you are blind quite well. At one point in the movie shortly after the actress is blinded, you will notice bruises on her arms if you pay attention; an obvious thing that realistically happens when you are knocking around the walls of your own house blind.

There isn't a hell of a lot of motive for the killer in this movie.. which in my opinion makes it even cooler. True psychopaths don't need much motivation after all.

In the title description I gathered there was a kid involved in the main plotline which made me a bit wary.. but it totally works. Everything in this movie works if you enjoyed old Italian horror films. The music, the vibe, the camera work, the actors, everthing.

5 out of 5 stars

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

The Hitchhiker (Cable TV series from late 1980s)

Season 1 Episode 7 features a younger version of the creepy dad from 7th Heaven. And he's just as creepy here and I hope horrible things happen to him.

(Full episode on YouTube. Looks like a VHS rip.. so you'll need to crank up the volume unless you are Aardvark.)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻