Movie recommendation: Thirteen Lives

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Movie recommendation: Thirteen Lives

Post by Casual Observer »

Great movie! Ron Howard did a great job with his take on the saga most of us paid some level of attention to a few years ago. In 2018, the Tham Luang cave rescue of 12 Thai boys and their assistant soccer coach who got trapped 2 miles into a flooded cave. The whole thing is nail biting even though most people know how it ends (the boys all live, not a spoiler if you read news).

Howard had the real guys, one guy considered the #1 cave diver in the world working on set. Viggo even read Richard Stanton's book to prepare. Cave diving scares the hell out of me and this was super dangerous with fast strong currents, debris, jagged edges and explosions. According to Stanton, this was 100% accurate (well his parts right) except visibility. They made the water murky but in reality he says they couldn't see more than a foot or three. Good news for Vark, I bet this works without sound.

Best part is learning all the parts of the rescue I didn't pay attention to at the time. All the work and sacrifices the villagers made for 13 kids like diverting streams away from the sinkholes that feed water into the cave, agreeing to destroy their years rice crop. I never realized they gave them xanex and fucking Ketamine to get them out without panicking.

Second best part is no mention of the guy who derailed the entire news cycle by proposing a stupid solution, a "submarine tube" that actual expert cave divers who had been in there laughed at. Then Musk called a British cave diver a Pedo Guy and got sued. I hate most of what Musk does so glad Howard left that out.

Watch it free on Prime or I guess torrent it.

Last edited by Casual Observer on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: Movie recommendation: Thirteen Lives

Post by Casual Observer »

I'll shitpost my post. This whole costly rescue effort could have been avoided by one of 2 things:
1) the kids could have check d the weather
2) the government could have barricaded the dangerous parts of a tourist cave that was well known to flood EVERY year

AArdvark

Re: Movie recommendation: Thirteen Lives

Post by AArdvark »

They wouldn't have made the movie if everyone died at the end. Maybe the Director's Cut has them all drowning like rats?

THE
DARK, DARK
AARDVARK