The Batman

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: The Batman

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

It was the most Batman any Batman movie has ever been. He's breaking down crime scenes with Gordon, like he did in 700 issues of Detective Comics.

The I'm Vengeance thing was dumb, yes.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ok, I never read the comics so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's all good!!!

I'll expand this thought tomorrow.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Here is the expansion - this was the best goddamn superhero and detective movie since Se7en. Which did not have superheroes.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

The reviews on this movie seemed to be pretty split, with some preferring the more detective-y first half. Personally, I didn't think that was so great. People who are somewhat familiar with Batman know that crime family plots are just an appetizer to the more fun stuff later, and Penguin's representation was adequate but, again, this representation is just an appetizer. I thought the detective stuff was okay but I have some sympathy; it's hard writing great mysteries for Batman to solve.

I thought the film's most brilliant moment, though, was its explanation for how Riddler gained his followers. In the Batman universe, it seems like most of the time, when they try to explain how this or that villain even got his followers, they are represented as thugs-for-hire who switch between one villain to the next from week to week (which seems extra silly since it often involves costumes and you'd think there'd be some kind of training involved, ha). Riddler's angry incel army was the first explanation I ever saw that ever made any kind of real sense and Dano did a good job at a character that I think must be one of the most difficult to depict.

The Joker tease at the end was pretty weak, but considering how much I enjoy Batman stuff when done well, I'll still be curious to watch what they do with this iteration in future installments.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:52 am Ok, I never read the comics so I don't know what I'm talking about.
Why should that stop you?

Come to think of it, when has "not knowing what I'm talking about" stopped any of us here from expressing our opinions on any subject?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:22 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:52 am Ok, I never read the comics so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Come to think of it, when has "not knowing what I'm talking about" stopped any of us here from expressing our opinions on any subject?
Would you enjoy seeing "The Batman", Commander?

ChatGPT

Post by ChatGPT »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:22 pm

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

The above is a laudable statement, but is based on a universe that is √-1, i.e. imaginary. Expecting people to make pronouncements on less than reasonable knowledge is probably all but impossible.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, I mean, a computer came up with it.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:29 am The above is a laudable statement, but is based on a universe that is √-1, i.e. imaginary. Expecting people to make pronouncements on less than reasonable knowledge is probably all but impossible.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:16 am Well, I mean, a computer came up with it.
And a human did it wrong. I left a word out. My statement should have read:

The above is a laudable statement, but is based on a universe that is √-1, i.e. imaginary. Expecting people not to make pronouncements on less than reasonable knowledge is probably all but impossible.

The original item was recommending not to make pronouncements when you don't know what the fuck you're saying.

ChatGPT

Post by ChatGPT »

My data stopped at 2021 so there's that