Joker!

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Joker!

Post by Casual Observer »

Has anyone else seen Joker yet? I loved it. Not going to get into any plot spoilers but this was a great take on the origin of the Joker. Joaquin Phoenix seemed to craft a Joker which combined the depravity of the Heath Ledger Joker with a bit of Jack Nicholson's comedy and added his own desperation and humanity. I've mentioned before that I enjoy cynical comedy a great deal and this film just drips of cynicism about modern day lack of humanity. They made Thomas Wayne (Batman's dad) into a bit of a Trump character whose complete lack of giving a goddam shit about anyone not like him drives an anti-rich movement which builds to total riot at the climax. The take on Joaquin's jouney to becoming Joker is the most human of any Batman movie to the point of making him an actually sympathetic character. I did find myself laughing out loud at some acts of violence which seemed to make other audience members uncomfortable so perhaps I need to think about that.

Saw this film in the ONLY actual IMAX theater in the entire Bay area, 2 tickets came to $48 at the AMC Metreon. WTF is up with ticket prices these days? I remember paying like $8 a ticket in Rochester but I guess that was a decade ago so oh well. Besides the movie which was great, the second best thing is that more and more theaters have a bar and the Metreon's bar sold me a lovely double Gimlet for the incredible price of only $8.14.

The worst thing is the fact that our country is in the midst of a gun violence epidemic so my wife was pretty nervous about someone going all Aurora Colorado and shooting up the place. The bay area is no stranger to this kind of thing, the wife and I were one oversleeping morning from being at the Gilroy Garlic Festival massacre this summer so it's a legitimate concern. I was hoping that the Metreon would be doing bag checks and in fact we didn't do our usual thing of bringing our own candy because of that but no, nobody checked anyones bag so something could have happened.

What do you guys think about Joker?

Jizaboz

Re: Joker!

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am Saw this film in the ONLY actual IMAX theater in the entire Bay area, 2 tickets came to $48 at the AMC Metreon. WTF is up with ticket prices these days?
You'd be lucky to get 2 people to pay half of that around here.
Casual Observer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am I was hoping that the Metreon would be doing bag checks and in fact we didn't do our usual thing of bringing our own candy because of that but no, nobody checked anyones bag so something could have happened.
Found the guy that actually WANTS to be searched!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:58 amFound the guy that actually WANTS to be searched!
yeah, I don't want to be shot at a theater, so SHOOT ME.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I would say your chances of beimg a shooting victim in a theater in the U.S. is much less than the chance of dying in an earthquake or tornado. According to NATO - that's the National Association of Theater Owners, not the military organization - as of May 2016, there are a total of 5,833 movie theaters and 40,759 movie screens in the US. Assuming each screen has an average of 5 shows a day, that means there are over 200,000 movie showings each day in the US. Call it 60 million showings a year. So let's count figures for the last three years, with 180 million movie showings, how many bad incidents of violence?

In 2018 there were 340 mass shhotings. Not theater shootings, but mass shootings in general. None of those occurred in a theater. If we go back as far as 2010 there have been three incidents of violence in theatres: February 2010, suburban Los Angeles, 3 stabbed, none killed; July 2012, Aurora Colorado, twelve killed and 70 more injured; January 2014, Florida, 1 shot and killed.

In 9½ years, 13 people have died and 74 have been injured in theater-related violence. During 2018 alone, 4'.5 million were injured and 40,000 killed in automobile accidents, the third year in a row that yearly deaths reached 40,000 or more. That means since 2016, over 10 million people have been injured and 120,000+ killed in automobile accidents, and zero have been killed or injured in theaters - unless you count the risk of heart attack from the food they serve.

Oh as I said before the chances of being killed in an earthqake or tornado are greater than in a theater. From 2016 through July 2019, one person has died from an earthquake. From 2016-2018, 63 people died in tornadoes.

You're statistically far more likely to be killed or injured driving to and from the theater than anything happening in the theater, unless the movie is so.bad you die of boredom, but that's natural causes and doesn't count.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

That... that was not the topic.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah sorry. My bad. I do I think want to see this movie at the cheapo theater near me where all I have to worry about are morons.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer

Seriously, nobody else has seen this yet? Yeah, I watch most new movies when they come out on Xfinity/streaming but some things are worth paying theater dollars for. It was a fun movie, not a spectacular IMAX worthy movie but worth a fun night out.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I checked last weekend but they weren’t event playing it! May have to go outside a 10 mile radius.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:41 pm I checked last weekend but they weren’t event playing it! May have to go outside a 10 mile radius.
Too late now, better just wait for it to come out on . . . well video doesn't exist so i guess torrent or binaries or wait longer for the monopolies (xfinity/att/etc) to let you purchase it for $6.99.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I saw it this evening. It was one the most depressing and disturbing films I've seen in a long time. It was also fantastic. I actually felt butterflies in my stomach while watching the film. I'm guessing someone has already made an Oscar for Phoenix's performance.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Just saw it. It was... okay! I liked it better when it was called Taxi Driver. I mean, they even got Bobby D. and had everyone do Travis Bickle's "fingergun to the head" thing. Bit on the nose there, Todd.

It was fine. Three stars!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

There a lot of comic book hijinx in it? Does he have that carnation on his jacket that shoots acid? Fuck you Taxi Driver, I do t remember him fighting Batman which I assume the Joker does. They wouldn't take that part out.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, right, and that's what I commented after it was over. WTF did that have to do with actual Joker? It could have been virtually the same movie without the DC label smacked onto it, but nobody would have seen that, instead of everybody.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Interesting. This is kind of what I expected when I saw the previews.

Comic book movies are a sore spot to me. The Watchmen movie (not the series) was good because it was very close to the comic. The first Superman movie was good because it was very close to the comic. And then.. well it all goes to shit with comic book movies for me.

I do want to see the Joker movie just to watch it as a movie.. not as a comic book movie.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻