OKC Thunder [2012-2013]

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Tonight, the number one ranked Oklahoma City Thunder took on the number one ranked San Antonio Spurs. (They are tied for number one.) Only one team could walk away number one, and that would be YOUR Oklahoma City Thunder! Stepping up to the plate tonight was Ibaka, with 17 rebounds and a career high 25 points. Thunder wins, 107-93. The Thunder have now won 11 games in a row, a franchise record since relocating to Oklahoma City.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Congrats in advance on getting to the second round of the playoffs!!
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:01 pm

pinback wrote:Congrats in advance on getting to the second round of the playoffs!!
Actually David Stern changed the rule and whoever's team is the most awesome goes straight to the finals.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Tonight YOUR Oklahoma City Thunder played the Houston Rockets. You might remember that the sixth man of the year, James "The Beard" Harden, left OKC last year to go play for Houston along side Jeremy Lin. Well good move Beard, because the Thunder beat the Rockets by 30 goddamn points tonight. So really the lesson to this story is that's what you get for leaving, Sir James!

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:52 pm

earlier this week Mason, Morgan, Susan and I went to see the Thunder play the Mavericks. We had floor tickets and there were so awesome. We won the game in overtime. I'll write more about it later. Here are 170 pictures of the night. See if you can spot Marv Albert, Steve Kerr, Mark Cuban, and others!

http://robohara.com/photo/index.php?alb ... -Mavericks

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:29 am

The night before last the Thunder got their asses kicked by the Nets in a game that was so unevenly called that Durant ended up with his first ejection. So I guess it was worth watching for that reason alone.

CO

Post by CO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Y'all can keep your Thunder, looks like the Sacramento Kings may be the new Sonics. VA Beach can't manage to build a stadium so we're up next with a stadium deal and investor group lined up. I just hope this doesn't help our mayor's ratings before his upcoming re-election failure.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:04 am

Yeah that's been a big local news story here (obviously), partially because Clay Bennett (owner of the Thunder) is apparently the head of the NBA's relocation committee.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:10 am

Last night it was YOUR Oklahoma City Thunder up against the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers sure have a lot of celebrities that come to their games! It's just too bad that they don't stick around for the fourth quarter when the Thunder blows them out at home.

If'n you want, here are the highlights from the game. If you don't want to watch it I'll just tell you that most of it consists of Thunder players dunking on Kobe, Kobe missing free throws, and Kobe getting T'ed up.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8837411

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:12 am

OKC and the Clippers are both now at 28-8 for the season. The Spurs are right behind them at 28-11. In the east, Miami are 23-11 and the Knicks are 23-13.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:24 pm

Friday night, the Thunder played Dallas (again) and beat them (again) in overtime (again). It was a good close game. In typical fashion the Thunder built up a large 2nd quarter lead and blew it in the 3rd quarter.

Sunday evening, the Thunder battled it out with the Denver Nuggets. Denver has the Thunder's number this year and once again edged out the Thunder by three points.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:20 pm

I missed the last couple of games but I caught last night's against Phoenix. All I can say is, wow, today's Phoenix is a far cry from the Phoenix of the past. There was no rising, just the flames. Thunder won by 31, 127-96.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:01 am

Flack wrote:I missed the last couple of games but I caught last night's against Phoenix. All I can say is, wow, today's Phoenix is a far cry from the Phoenix of the past. There was no rising, just the flames. Thunder won by 31, 127-96.
Do you think huge money for player salaries vs., say, the 1970s-early 1980s before professional players wised up, started getting everything the traffic will bear, caused reduction in the quality of performances?

You sound like we're being given "the bird" from the current players in Phoenix. Could this be fear of playing harder, as aggressive, or factor x, things they'd have done back when a professional meant a good living, not multimillionaire status, makes them less good now because they're afraid of injury/some other factor? This/these question(s) not confined just to Phoenix - put these against OKC if you want - but I mentioned it because you mentioned PHX as being less than what you feel they used to be.

These questions - especially the second - are probably more appropriate to football but I'm sure you understand what I'm asking.
"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch."
-The Weeknd, Blinding Lights

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:02 pm

I do not understand what you are asking. The Phoenix Suns suck because Steve Kerr left a couple of years ago. After Kerr left, Stoudemire went to the Knicks and Nash went to the Lakers. Last month, their head coach quit. The Suns have first round picks coming in 2013 and 2015 so ask me again in three years how they are doing.

Tonight, however, they got their asses kicked again by the Thunder, this time in Phoenix. Thunder wins, 97-69. The Suns' star player, Jermaine O'Neal, had 7 points.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Tdarcos wrote:Do you think huge money for player salaries vs., say, the 1970s-early 1980s before professional players wised up, started getting everything the traffic will bear, caused reduction in the quality of performances?
You know what, I think the league overexpanded and still hasn't recovered from it. (Hockey hasn't either - hockey is worse off.)

Which is astounding when you think of it. There's, what, 30 NBA teams? Basketball is played all over the world. There really isn't enough talent to go around? It seems weird, except I'd say that there isn't enough ultra-elite talent to go around. And then the ultra-elite talent decided to play together. So you are going to get some terrible teams who just don't have it some nights.

My outsider's opinion. Anyone out there who disagrees should call me a goddamn idiot and I doubt I will disagree.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Anyone out there who disagrees should call me a goddamn idiot and I doubt I will disagree.
Funny, I didn't even go that far in saying you were ineffective as a showrunner and you demanded an apology. In fact, I never said you were ineffective, all I said was that if Pinhead thought you were not capable, he should fire you. I never made any comment about your ability but you seemed to think I did.

Maybe that proves your comment.
"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch."
-The Weeknd, Blinding Lights

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Anyone out there who disagrees should call me a goddamn idiot and I doubt I will disagree.
Funny, I didn't even go that far in saying you were ineffective as a showrunner and you demanded an apology. In fact, I never said you were ineffective, all I said was that if Pinhead thought you were not capable, he should fire you. I never made any comment about your ability but you seemed to think I did.

Maybe that proves your comment.
Shut the fuck up, Paul!

Last night, YOUR Oklahoma City Thunder came to Denver to play SOMEONE ELSE'S Denver Nuggets. For the sake of this thread, I attended.

I can say that this was the first decent pro basketball game I have ever seen in person. Every other time I have seen an NBA game, the players were going completely through the motions. NOT SO THIS TIME!

One of the things I noticed was that the Nuggets would seem to pull ahead when Durant, Westbrook or both were not on the floor. I am assuming that when that used to happen, James "The Beard" Harden would take the game over at that point for the Thunder? Is that right? Do I have that right? I don't know how the NBA works.

It was tied up on the final possession. With about three seconds left, Ty Lawson for the Nuggets took what I thought was an awkward, off-balance shot... that went in, giving the Nuggets the lead with 0.2 seconds left.

Some surprising things:

- Kevin Durant got a technical foul on the dumbest call of a technical foul I have ever seen. If THAT will get you teed up, then how are some people like Ron Artest allowed on a roster?

- Everyone seems to hate Russell Westbrook

- Four idiots had court side seats. Two were in the "Dumb and Dumber" tuxedos. One was dressed the same, but in a crayon yellow tuxedo. One guy was wearing blue spandex.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: - Four idiots had court side seats. Two were in the "Dumb and Dumber" tuxedos. One was dressed the same, but in a crayon yellow tuxedo. One guy was wearing blue spandex.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Last night, YOUR Oklahoma City Thunder came to Denver to play SOMEONE ELSE'S Denver Nuggets. For the sake of this thread, I attended.
Don't you hate it you beg everybody to watch your winning team and then the first time someone watches, they lose? Yeah, that.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I can say that this was the first decent pro basketball game I have ever seen in person. Every other time I have seen an NBA game, the players were going completely through the motions. NOT SO THIS TIME!
It was bound to be a good game. There are four teams that the Thunder struggle against: the Miami Heat, the San Antonio Spurs, the Memphis Grizzlies, and the Denver Nuggets.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:One of the things I noticed was that the Nuggets would seem to pull ahead when Durant, Westbrook or both were not on the floor. I am assuming that when that used to happen, James "The Beard" Harden would take the game over at that point for the Thunder? Is that right? Do I have that right? I don't know how the NBA works.
Correct. Harden was such a good backup point guard that a lot of people made the argument that he should have been a starter with Westbrook as his backup. We lost Harden and have been struggling with who to put as their backup. It was Eric Maynor until last week when we traded him. For the past couple of weeks it's been Reggie Jackson (no, not that one) but he's just not that good. Kevin Martin is great at 3 pointers but never drives with the ball. Last week we resigned Derek Fisher for the remainder of the season, so last night was his first game back with the Thunder. They'll have to work out the kinks there because that's our only answer right now to giving Westbrook a break (or worse, when Westbrook's having an off night.)
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:It was tied up on the final possession. With about three seconds left, Ty Lawson for the Nuggets took what I thought was an awkward, off-balance shot... that went in, giving the Nuggets the lead with 0.2 seconds left.
Right, and I told you that wouldn't happen if you were cheering for the Thunder. Were you cheering for the Thunder? I've already requested a copy of the security tapes. if you weren't cheering for the Thunder pal, I'll know about it soon enough.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Kevin Durant got a technical foul on the dumbest call of a technical foul I have ever seen. If THAT will get you teed up, then how are some people like Ron Artest allowed on a roster?
Kevin Durant, along with being one of the best players in the NBA, is also known for being one of the nicest guys in the NBA. I mean, I don't know if you noticed but his Mom sits courtside every game and before every game he goes over and kisses her on the cheek. Ron Artest does the same thing except instead of kissing he punches fans in the face. Anyway... to combat this there's a series of commercials where Durant's new nickname is "Not Nice," which is cute and all, except somehow it's getting him technicals on (as you saw) completely bullshit calls.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4-fASraCKY[/youtube]
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Everyone seems to hate Russell Westbrook
Westbrook is so damn good when he's on. He's got this jump shot about 3 feet in from the 3-point line where he runs down, pops straight up, and drops buckets all day long... when he's on. When he's not on he keeps shooting and shooting and shooting. He's a ball hog who has single-handedly won and lost games for us. Like I said, when he was cold the answer used to be to pull Harden in off the bench. He's a big baby and more than once he's thrown fits on the bench and walked off the court and back into the tunnel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wLTGvp5ctU[/youtube]
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Four idiots had court side seats. Two were in the "Dumb and Dumber" tuxedos. One was dressed the same, but in a crayon yellow tuxedo. One guy was wearing blue spandex.
I saw them but never did figure that one out. At least you didn't have Brick-Man or Thundor...

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Also, just for good measure ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WrkIVVxcPI[/youtube]

#2 is one of the most bad ass plays ever and explains why, despite all his faults, we keep Westbrook.

#1 explains why we keep Durant. :)