OKC Thunder [2012-2013]

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:54 am

I just looked this up the other day. The name "Hornets" was a nickname that applied to Charlotte during the Revolutionary War. It would be like naming your New York team the Big Apples, and then having them move somewhere else and still calling them that. It doesn't make sense.

That being said, the name "pelican" is terrible. I thought mascots were supposed to strike fear into your opponents!
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:37 am

Nothing about moving teams make sense. If a team moves everything about the team's history should stay where that history happened. It should begin as a glorified expansion team wherever they go. Would it make any sense to be sitting in OKC watching Gary Payton's jersey get retired?

The Winnipeg Jets moved to Phoenix and became the Coyotes. Yet they kept all the Jets stuff. They have banners hanging from the rafters of retired Jets players who never stepped foot on the ice in Phoenix. And they even made the banners in Coyotes colors instead of Jets colors. Now the Winnipeg Jets are back yet they have no history, all their history is stuck in a city where it didn't happen. It makes no sense. A team's history should be tied to the city it happened in, not the mascot.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm officially sick of Dwight Howard.

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:20 pm

The Thunder lost Kevin Martin earlier this week (K-Mart) to the Bucks after they offered him $30 mil. K-Mart was supposed to be the next coming of Westbrook and Harden but instead we just trained him so he could get bank from another team.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 pm

I don't think he should be allowed to be called K-Mart. Kenyon Martin was K-Mart. You wouldn't call somebody else The Mailman.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:03 am

Exactly. Kevin "The Mailman" Durant and Russel "The Worm" Westbrook are gold.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 am

Kevin Martin shouldn't be called "K-Mart".

(Odin Lloyd should have been called "Target".)
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!