Breaking Bad: The Journey Journal

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Flack wrote:We had another flash forward in which we see Walt returning to his house which has been destroyed and vacated. Graffiti inside reads "HEISENBERG" which makes it look like a gang hit took place.
That's what you thought? That these mythical "gang-bangers" had showed up, killed some of the Whites (wow, that looks a little racist), and then spray-painted his living room? Not that maybe the police had raided and seized the house, and bored kids had sprayed graffiti inside the now-abandoned building?

Not to be a malicious asshole (just the normal kind) but this is why I said you don't understand things that other time.

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:40 pm

I guess bored kids could have spray painted it. Or gang members. Or bored gang members. Who knows. The important takeaway was that by the time that takes place, it's apparently public knowledge that Heisenberg is White -- or at least that it's Heisenberg's house.

If I didn't say it that other time, I could give fuck what you think about anything. Both that time and this time. And the next time.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:59 pm

That's not me, by the way. He's doing a wonderful pinback impression, I admit, but it's not me.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:16 pm

I am three episodes in and so far I would describe this show as about as good as "watching paint dry" but that would be entirely too insulting to drying paint.

This entire story of the asshole in the basement was so drawn out and bored me to absolute tears. That really needed to be drug out for 3 episodes? I normally like shows that are slow burns but that was ridiculous.

Recap of Episode 3 - Walter coughs. Walter makes basement guy a sandwich. Walter coughs. Walter makes basement guy a sandwich. Walter coughs. Walter makes basement guy a sandwich. Walter coughs. Walter finally does what we've known he was going to do the entire time. Walter coughs.

The cliffhanger of episode 3 was the first time that I actually got excited to see what happens next. But basement dude has just about killed my enthusiasm for ever turning the TV on again. There's no way I would've stuck with this show if I watched it in real time and had to wait a week just to see yet another hour of oooooh, should I kill him or not bullshit.

Anxiously awaiting pinback's reply.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:26 pm

Pinback is the EXACT SAME WAY. The two of you can't allow yourselves to be introduced to anything. If you didn't find it, it's no good.

There's a slight chance that the much-deserved attention Breaking Bad created something in your mind that no show could ever realize in reality. I am willing to give you that. But if you didn't like the opening show -- and you didn't -- you are crazy.

Now, I like crazy people. I want that clear.

... When I started it, I was a little tired of people saying how great it was when I watched the first episode. But I was hooked by the end of it. You are not the only person I know that didn't care for it, however!

http://adamcadre.ac/calendar/13/13149.html

My friend Adam couldn't get past the part where the severity of Walt's cancer seemed to ebb and fade with the number of shows they were gonna make.

As it turns out, we learn that Walt starts making decisions that have nothing to do with whether he has cancer or not. More, in some ways he WANTS the cancer back. He DOESN'T want to live like how he is living but he absolutely must.

There aren't a whole lot of shows made by an intelligent person, but this is one of them. Jason, I am imploring you to just let yourself enjoy this. (You can tell I really mean it because I used your real name, like some kind of prick. I feel that suddenly turning into a prick, however, is "in bounds" in a Breaking Bad thread.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 pm

The Happiness Engine wrote:That's what you thought? That these mythical "gang-bangers" had showed up, killed some of the Whites (wow, that looks a little racist), and then spray-painted his living room?
For the record, that is indeed what it looks like. Flack was just giving you his opinion. How can it be bullshit to express an opinion????

I feel that people in groups are responsible for graffiti. There is only one way in this world that a lone person (not a gang) can spray paint graffiti some place, and that is if I caught the group doing it and didn't manage to fucking kill them all.

I do like your comment about how it would be racist if done to the Whites, haha. (Jason Rohrer also had a bad experience as one of the Whites in New Mexico.)

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Pinback is the EXACT SAME WAY. The two of you can't allow yourselves to be introduced to anything. If you didn't find it, it's no good.
Poppycock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to watch Breaking Bad when it first started but I didn't get to. I've had it in my Netflix queue ever since. Because I WANTED to see it because I thought it would be good and it sounded interesting. Nobody introduced me to it. I knew it existed. If you and Flack never watched it I would still want to watch it. Nobody finds anything. Everything has already been seen by somebody. There's been plenty of shows, movies and books I've liked after people recommended them. I didn't watch Star Trek until I was like 35 years old, I loved it. I never thought I discovered it. Or Sherlock. Everybody loved Sherlock and wouldn't shut up about it. I watched it. I loved it and wouldn't shut up about it. Or the UK Office? Quite a lot of people liked that before I fell in love with it.
There's a slight chance that the much-deserved attention Breaking Bad created something in your mind that no show could ever realize in reality. I am willing to give you that. But if you didn't like the opening show -- and you didn't -- you are crazy.
I don't believe this has anything to do with the hype. The problem for me is I don't care at all about the characters. There's nobody on the show that I feel connected to in any way. So far I couldn't care less about what happens to anybody. I watched every episode of that shitty ass Lost show, even though I thought most of it was stupid, because Lost made me care about the characters from episode one. I was completely invested in those people and wanted to know what happened to them and was willing to watch several garbage episodes just to find out. These people are not compelling characters to me so far. They're quite dumb and annoying. Not as annoying and dumb as the people on Under the Dome, but pretty annoying and dumb.
As it turns out, we learn that Walt starts making decisions that have nothing to do with whether he has cancer or not. More, in some ways he WANTS the cancer back. He DOESN'T want to live like how he is living but he absolutely must.
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There aren't a whole lot of shows made by an intelligent person, but this is one of them. Jason, I am imploring you to just let yourself enjoy this.
You're barking up the wrong tree. There's no "letting myself enjoy this" here. That's not me. I try very hard to find a way to like everything. I'm not one of those negative internet assholes that like to hate things. I detest people who make up their mind about something and then watch it only to find proof to back up their pre-conceived notions. I don't watch something because I don't want to like it. I watch stuff I think I'll like. And if I don't like it I desperately search for something I like about it to grasp on to.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:08 am

Poppycock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to watch Breaking Bad when it first started but I didn't get to. I've had it in my Netflix queue ever since. Because I WANTED to see it because I thought it would be good and it sounded interesting. Nobody introduced me to it. I knew it existed. If you and Flack never watched it I would still want to watch it. Nobody finds anything. Everything has already been seen by somebody. There's been plenty of shows, movies and books I've liked after people recommended them. I didn't watch Star Trek until I was like 35 years old, I loved it. I never thought I discovered it. Or Sherlock. Everybody loved Sherlock and wouldn't shut up about it. I watched it. I loved it and wouldn't shut up about it. Or the UK Office? Quite a lot of people liked that before I fell in love with it.
Okay, but the parts where I took unprovoked shots at Pinback for no reason are still valid, right?

I don't believe this has anything to do with the hype. The problem for me is I don't care at all about the characters. There's nobody on the show that I feel connected to in any way.
In episode four, they introduce Miss Methy, a superheroine foe for Walt. She has 35DDs, is crazy as shit because of that missing extra inch and is a redhead. I care about her.

You're barking up the wrong tree. There's no "letting myself enjoy this" here. That's not me. I try very hard to find a way to like everything. I'm not one of those negative internet assholes that like to hate things. I detest people who make up their mind about something and then watch it only to find proof to back up their pre-conceived notions.
Oh. I was wrong about your thought process! I hope you will continue to tell us what you think about Breaking Bad!

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:37 am

Leth, you might as well send me your paypal information. If you weren't hooked by the end of episode three, I don't think you're going to enjoy it.

I will say that each season raises the bar. Season one is really about Walt and Jesse and setting up all the major characters and their relationships. With each season there are new enemies and conflicts and the tension ramps up. That being said, I'm pretty sure by the time I was halfway done with the first season I was hooked, so if you're not, I'm not sure other seasons will pull you in.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:23 am

How is this possible.

If Breaking Bad is dry and boring, what DO you consider an engaging drama?
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:25 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: In episode four, they introduce Miss Methy, a superheroine foe for Walt. She has 35DDs, is crazy as shit because of that missing extra inch and is a redhead. I care about her.
Well, redheads do fix everything.
If Breaking Bad is dry and boring, what DO you consider an engaging drama?
Knight Rider

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Will it cause a worm hole or something when I end up having to post this thread in the Lethargic vs the World thread?

The NSA

Post by The NSA » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Reviewing his search history, Jason Lethargic is also a huge fan of that goddamn ape show from the 80s.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:37 pm

There was an ape show?????

CO

Post by CO » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:00 pm

lethargic wrote:Knight Rider
Now you're talkin! How about Airwolf?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Does the spook mean BJ and the Bear? Why can't the NSA post more clearly?

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 pm

CO wrote:
lethargic wrote:Knight Rider
Now you're talkin! How about Airwolf?
Started off great but dropped off quickly.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Does the spook mean BJ and the Bear? Why can't the NSA post more clearly?
I certainly hope not. Seeing as how it's from the 70s and has a bear, not an ape in the 80s.

But hey, the NSA is government and we all know about the government, right? LOLOLOLOLOL

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:18 pm

The Banana Splits? Does that even count? were they even monkeys?

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Wait.... are they talking about Webster? If so I think The NSA is being highly inappropriate.