The Month I Ate All Pinback's Food

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Don't be so testy!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:13 pm

pinback wrote:Saimin, Portuguese sausage and Aloha Shoyu soy sauce. Boom. Hawaiian.
Saimin and maybe Aloha Shoyu I understand... But how does Linguica qualify as Hawaiian?

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:23 pm

RetroRomper wrote:
pinback wrote:Saimin, Portuguese sausage and Aloha Shoyu soy sauce. Boom. Hawaiian.
Saimin and maybe Aloha Shoyu I understand... But how does Linguica qualify as Hawaiian?
They eat it a lot. Lotta Potagee immigrants.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 pm

pinback wrote:
RetroRomper wrote:
They eat it a lot. Lotta Portuguese immigrants.
My apologies for not clarifying: are there any specific Hawaiian dishes that incorporate it?

Tdarcos

Re: The Month I Ate All Pinback's Food

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:19 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:"Now I'm inside his basement... and inside his mind." -- Kevin "Fragmaster" Bowen

My dear friends Pinback and savvyraven are leaving Colorado, to live in Pungent Sound. They placed their possessions in a POD and realized that they had neither the space nor desire to bring their food with them.
In the book "$20 Per Gallon: How the Inevitable Rise in the Price of Gasoline Will Change Our Lives for the Better" the author points out that at some point, cross-country travel will become very expensive, and for a lot of people it will be cheaper to sell everything they don't absolutely need to reduce what they need to ship, then buy back what they do need at the other end.

Which actually does make sense: if you have an eBay auction, get $500 for everything after costs, then have to spend $1,000 to buy it back at the other end, it only cost you $500 vs. potentially $3,000 to ship it. Plus you probably have better stuff than you did, and less clutter since you're only buying stuff as you discover you need it.

I realize in my case that would probably mean only my clothes and my computers if I had to do this again. I realize with the exception of my backup disc folder, a few household items (collander, measuring cups and utensils) and possibly my other computer, I really didn't lose a whole lot I couldn't replace later in my eviction back in Summer 2008. (Landlord didn't pay his mortgage; I got evicted.)

Sometimes you pick up something that's so great you wonder how you got along without it. One of those is my three-foot long grab stick. Made out of solid stainless steel tubing (not that cheap foldable aluminum) I find it is very useful. I probably use that thing 3-4 times a week to pick up stuff I dropped or can't reach. Has at least 5 pound lift capacity. $20 at Home Depot, they're so useful - especially when you're in a wheelchair - in the last place I was at I had two of them, one on each side of the room. It effectively extends my grasp by three feet.

I have to go buy another one; I ran over one of the feet once too often and it broke off. Yeah, unfortunately 750 pounds of concentrated weight will eventually break the grab fingers after multiple incidents. Otherwise these things will last years.
This signature is limited to 128 characters, or I could have said a few more things.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:22 am

Flack wrote:Because all he wants to do, is have some fun,
until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Blvd.

While he's working remotely.

That joke was funnier in my head. And it was barely funny there.
"Flack, this is your head speaking. It wasn't even 'barely' funny here, either."
This signature is limited to 128 characters, or I could have said a few more things.

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:04 am

My apologies for not clarifying: are there any specific Hawaiian dishes that incorporate it?
Yes! Here, I will give you my personal favorite Hawaiian linguica recipe:

EGGS & LINGUICA

INGREDIENTS: 2 eggs, 2 scoops cooked white rice, some linguica.

1. Cook eggs.
2. Cook linguica.
3. Put eggs, rice, and linguica on a plate.

McDonald's in Hawaii do this as a breakfast meal (with a slab of SPAM added on for good measure.)

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 am

RetroRomper wrote:
pinback wrote:
RetroRomper wrote:
They eat it a lot. Lotta Portuguese immigrants.
Also, why did you EDIT MY POST when you replied to it? Is that what we're doing here now? Editing people's posts and replying to them? I felt this place could not get any lower than it was but HERE WE ARE.

I demand retribution or I am out of here.

EDIT: FOREVER.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 am

pinback wrote:Also, why did you EDIT MY POST when you replied to it? Is that what we're doing here now? Editing people's posts and replying to them? I felt this place could not get any lower than it was but HERE WE ARE.

I thought you were trying to go for a higher standard than poorly phrased (or even misspelled) rifts on the Portuguese? At least hack this BBS and add the word to the master dictionary file so I won't bat an eye and think the worse of you for it.

But if retribution is still required, want to organize a Jolt Country Starcraft 2 mini-tourney? Stalkers at dawn, bitch.

Retro

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 am

We don't EDIT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS here.

Jonsey, do we have a way to ban people for a short period of time here? RetroRomper needs to be banned for a period of at least one week and at most ten thousand years.

This is unacceptable.

I do not accept this.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 am

pinback wrote:...Here, I will give you my personal favorite Hawaiian linguica recipe:

EGGS & LINGUICA...
This is reminiscent of the way my grandmother used to make linguica and rice: boil the sausage for a few minutes, then pan fry it until cooked. Served on rise and she would either add in the grease/taste from the pan, or literally pop the sausage casing while it was on top of the rice to add its flavor.

Inherently unhealthy, but supremely enjoyable.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:46 pm

pinback wrote:We don't ____ OTHER PEOPLE'S ____ here.
I agree. Cutting or removing other people's words from their posts is completely unacceptable. No one here should be allowed to do it for any reason. No exceptions.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:17 pm

pinback wrote:Also, why did you EDIT MY POST when you replied to it? Is that what we're doing here now? Editing people's posts and replying to them? I felt this place could not get any lower than it was but HERE WE ARE.

Would you like crackers with that whine?

Oh great, that's all we need. Balding old guys complaining about their treatment on this BBS and threatening to leave.

Et Tu, Mr. Parrish?

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
pinback wrote:We don't ____ OTHER PEOPLE'S ____ here.
I agree. Cutting or removing other people's words from their posts is completely unacceptable. No one here should be allowed to do it for any reason. No exceptions.
BANNED.

pinback

Tdarcos wrote:

Would you like crackers with that whine?

Oh great, that's all we need. Balding old guys complaining about their treatment on this BBS and threatening to leave.

Et Tu, Mr. Parrish?
BANNED.

pinback

RetroRomper wrote:
pinback wrote:...Here, I will give you my personal favorite Hawaiian linguica recipe:

EGGS & LINGUICA...
This is reminiscent of the way my grandmother used to make linguica and rice: boil the sausage for a few minutes, then pan fry it until cooked. Served on rise and she would either add in the grease/taste from the pan, or literally pop the sausage casing while it was on top of the rice to add its flavor.

Inherently unhealthy, but supremely enjoyable.
BANNED.

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:05 pm

I am unclear as to how the banning policy applies to people who quote previously-modified quotes.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:33 pm

Flack wrote:I am unclear as to how the banning policy applies to people who quote previously-modified quotes.
1. If you modify quotes, BANNED. (RetroRomper, Tdarcos.)

2. If you question my banning policies, BANNED. (You.)

3. Everyone is banned but me (and KNuckles.)

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:04 am

I wasn't really questioning, most asking for clarification. So technically I don't fall under #2, but I appear to fall under #3.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 am

pinback wrote:We don't EDIT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS here.

Jonsey, do we have a way to ban people for a short period of time here? RetroRomper needs to be banned for a period of at least one week and at most ten thousand years.

This is unacceptable.

I do not accept this.
I don't know why you're coming to me with these questions after banning me, you spamsucking fuck.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!