The Month I Ate All Pinback's Food

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:28 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I would like a POD for my backyard.
At which point it is renamed an Information Cube.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:56 am

Flack wrote: I think the POD thing sound bad ass. We're planning on moving within 3-5 years and I might just rent one now and start loading it up, item by item.

Maybe I will get another one and put it in my POD. I'm on it, bitches.
Flack, when you take a POD it gets a specific delivery time and a pickup time to go to their storage facility. You get a price per month plus the pick-up and delivery charges. If you hold the POD over you still have to pay rental charges every month even though it's just sitting on your property.

I know this because I thought of doing something like that. I rent a 5x10 storage space in Fredericksburg, about 70 miles from here. I've had it about 10 years and it's quite full. It would cost about $175 a month to rent one that size here; I pay about 1/3 that. No, it doesn't use a POD, it's just plain storage.

You don't get to hold a POD for long term for free while loading it except for the initial load which is part of the delivery/pickup charge. I would suggest finding a used storage shed or if you can find an old shipping container, and use that until you're ready to actually store the POD, otherwise you're probably looking at an extra $100 a month until you store it, then storage charges.

You can probably find a used storage container in that size for $300 or less, so if you're planning to take more than 90 days to load the thing, get something you aren't going to be paying rent on every month until you're ready to load the real thing.

Flack, are you any good at construction? What would it cost to build an 8x10x20 box (or whatever the size of a POD is) out of MDF, toggle bolts and 2x4s from Home Depot or Lowes, and use that? Put it up a couple inches to keep ground contamination away and it should be fine. You can paint the thing anything you wanted to, and probably make it for less than what it would cost to rent a POD for a couple months. Then when you're finished and you load the POD, put your storage unit up on eBay and not only do you get the unit hauled away for free, someone pays for it!
This signature is limited to 128 characters, or I could have said a few more things. Like, do you know who killed JFK? it was...

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:41 pm

MEAL #5 - THE MAN'S AIR

Pinback lived in Colorado in, hooooooah, it was 2003 or something, I can't remember for sure. He lived in Boulder. It was a 45 minute drive from where I lived, so I didn't get to see him too often. He left for the golden glory of California.

Pinback moved to Colorado again in, hoooooah, 2008 I think, I am not very good with years. He lived in Parker. It was a 45 minute drive from where I (now) lived, so I didn't get to see him too often, but it doesn't matter. We bitch about work on instant message programs and that can be done anywhere.

He moved to Puget Sound yesterday.

My girlfriend and I saw him Friday night, along with his lovely and talented girlfriend, sometimes-JC poster savvyraven, and two friends of theirs. I had the best burger I have EVER had in Colorado: the New Mexico Burger.

"What makes it a New Mexico burger?" asked savvyraven.
"THE METH," I said. Sense was made to anyone who has seen Breaking Bad.

I also had the following drinks:

- A gin and tonic
- A Pabst Blue Ribbon with shot of Jaeger. I drank maybe three sips of the PBR "tall boy."
- A vodka tonic
- A "red headed slut" shot.

I didn't eat off his plate, but we probably all shared some ions of air. A good time was had by all, I think, and then I had to say good bye to my bestest buddy and Internet Comedy Partner. As usual, I got the goddamn quote wrong. Sorry, Pinner.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVIt0DYKssI[/youtube]
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 am

MEAL #6 - GREEN CHILE CASSEROLE

My girlfriend and I play "Words With Friends" via my phone and her tablet. On Saturday, she said she had both blanks. The game had just started! What a GOD DAMN LIAR. So I said I would cook her dinner if she had both blanks. She had both blanks. I don't think she's ever told a fabrication in her life, much less to me.

She did step in, because my idea of dinner was going to be two scoops of green chiles. We instead made a green chile casserole, and we ate it on Pinback's old dinner table. Included in the casserole was some Omaha Steak pork that I took from Pinner.

Not only am I eating the man's food, I am eating on his table. Can this get any deeper? Gayer?

CO

Post by CO » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:30 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:He moved to Puget Sound yesterday.
Hey pinner, what neighborhood did you choose in the seattle area? I'm in the city north of University of Washington. Let me know if you want any restaurant suggestions (here's a hint, happy hour specials are the big thing here but you want to pick a restaurant not a bar that also does happy hour because they suck at food).

Tdarcos

Primus Inter Pares

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:45 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I didn't eat off his plate, but we probably all shared some ions of air. A good time was had by all, I think, and then I had to say good bye to my bestest buddy and Internet Comedy Partner. As usual, I got the goddamn quote wrong. Sorry, Pinner.
(Jonsey shows scene from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.)

"246, this is Tom... I wasn't sure so I didn't say anything because if I changed my mind I could always erase this voice mail. I wasn't sure if I should say it, here, or let you learn it later, 246 my friend. I remember you once spoke about that line from Star Trek II, ‘I am now, and always shall be, your friend.' And you always have been...

"Okay, you'll probably know it before too long so I'll say it now. I set this message up to delay delivery until it would be after the time it happened. I've scheduled my operation for around 8:30 Eastern so that's when I go ‘under the knife' as the saying goes, for a Real Sex Change. Yep. You got it. By the time you hear this message, I will be alive..."

246 gasped. The audio continues. "I'm sorry if you feel bad that I didn't let you know or have the chance to say goodbye...

"And now, in parting I shall say something to you in answer to something you said to me. Goodbye, my friend, and remember this thought, and if you agree with me that it is better than yours, echo it back. I think I found an even stronger term for friendship than yours, 246, and I'll say it to you now: Supervisor 246, I was, am, and always will be, primus inter pares, your friend, Tom."

- Instrument of God pages 111-113
This signature is limited to 128 characters, or I could have said a few more things. Like, do you know who killed JFK? it was...

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:39 am

CO wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:He moved to Puget Sound yesterday.
Hey pinner, what neighborhood did you choose in the seattle area? I'm in the city north of University of Washington. Let me know if you want any restaurant suggestions (here's a hint, happy hour specials are the big thing here but you want to pick a restaurant not a bar that also does happy hour because they suck at food).
Port Hadlock, home of the WORLD FAMOUS VALLEY BURGER!!!!!!!!!
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

CO

Post by CO » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:23 pm

pinback wrote:Port Hadlock, home of the WORLD FAMOUS VALLEY BURGER!!!!!!!!!
Sweet, it's so nice over there and the rent's cheaper too. Make sure you buy the olympic park yearly pass and check out the hot springs. If I didn't have to be in Seattle to work I would totally live near Port Townsend. In fact, I even ran the numbers and I could easily save $200 on rent which would pay for a month of workday ferry rides but that would be kind of a pain right now.

Are you working in Tacoma or Seattle or are there actual high tech companies near Port Hadlock?

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:29 pm

I work remotely for a company in Santa Monica.

CO

Post by CO » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:28 am

pinback wrote:I work remotely for a company in Santa Monica.
California paycheck living on the sound, awsome. Why'd you come up here then? My wife and I had always wanted to move here and finally did.

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Because all he wants to do, is have some fun,
until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Blvd.

While he's working remotely.

That joke was funnier in my head. And it was barely funny there.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:44 pm

CO wrote:
pinback wrote:I work remotely for a company in Santa Monica.
California paycheck living on the sound, awsome. Why'd you come up here then? My wife and I had always wanted to move here and finally did.
He's trolling me by living near Seattle, who beat the Saints in the playoffs. That's some serious commitment, but that is our boy.

CO

Post by CO » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:beat the Saints in the playoffs.
It's only because our fans caused an earthquake:Seahawks fans cause seismic shock in playoff win.

CO

Post by CO » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:56 pm

So Ben you're probably an expert already since you've lived like a dozen places in so many years but here's a few hints on Seattle:
- don't buy the flowers at the public market because within 3 days they'll be a smelly mush, I'm not sure how they do this but I think it has to do with bacteria
- beware the aforementioned happy hours at "restaurants" which are just bars that want to be able to do happy hour, seriously these people serve microwave shit like its national lampoon European
- reserve shit early like camping or staying places, I don't know if California was like this but Rochester wasn't - plan shit ahead of time or you're out of luck. for example if you want a choice camping site somewhere for July you'd better think about reserving soon
- don't bother looking for great NY style sub sandwiches or great Italian restaurants because they're not here and no country sweet sauce to be found

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:43 pm

CO wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:beat the Saints in the playoffs.
It's only because our fans caused an earthquake:Seahawks fans cause seismic shock in playoff win.
Everything I read said that the Seahawks fans are basically barbarians, on the level of the Raiders and Eagles. Have you encountered any Seahawk fans? They seem like fucking scumbags from all the third-hand, completely unverifiable stuff I have read.

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Have you encountered any Sonics fans? Tell them Oklahoma says hey.

HIIIIIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc[/youtube]

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 pm

We went to a place called "Central Market" today. It's the largest grocery store in the... I dunno what you call the area we are in.

There was an entire section labelled "Hawaiian".

I will never leave this place.

(Except to move to Hawaii.)

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:48 am

pinback wrote:We went to a place called "Central Market" today...

There was an entire section labelled "Hawaiian".

I will never leave this place...
But I'm curious to hear what they had on hand... What exactly does a (I'm assuming), yuppie, mid to high class Seattle grocer consider Hawaiian? Were they honest with themselves and have spam next to the papaya?
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Everything I read said that the Seahawks fans are basically barbarians, on the level of the Raiders and Eagles...
Be thankful you've never encountered Charger fans... I've been mugged by figures wearing Charger Jerseys over their hoodies. But I assumed that this was merely karma for being one of the last hardcore LA Rams supporters.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Saimin, Portuguese sausage and Aloha Shoyu soy sauce. Boom. Hawaiian.

Human Balls

Post by Human Balls » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:45 am

Young.
Urban.
Professional.

do any of you qualify? I don't qualify because I jerk off at work.