Why do people go apeshit over the McRib?

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

pinback

Why do people go apeshit over the McRib?

Post by pinback » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:35 am

Seriously. OMG MCRIB IS BACK!!!

What is the big deal?

Does anyone, or HAS anyone here ever enjoyed a McRib sandwich?
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:13 pm

I actually made it a point to out and get one!

All I can think of is the Simpson's episode that relates..

Homer: (takes a bite of a Krusty ribbler) "I have tasted the ribs of god!"

and later...

Krusty: (while explaining the origins of the sandwich) "Think smaller and more legs."

THE
BUT THEY ARE GOOD
AARDVARK

(edit: anecdote alert! McRib story later)

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Generally speaking, people want things they cannot (or at least do not) have. This can and has been stated a hundred different ways ("the grass it always greener", "thall shall not covet", etc) but the idea's the same.

I went wild when I found out they were building a Jack in the Box near my work. There are Jack in the Boxes all over Texas, but strangely none in Oklahoma. When I shared my glee online, I got a lot of "who cares" comments and "Shit in the Box" jokes, mostly from people who live near Jack in the Box restaurants and couldn't see what the big deal was.

THESE SAME PEOPLE GO NUTS OVER SONIC DRIVE INS! Seriously. There are four Sonic Drive Ins within 10 minutes of my house and I rarely go there. When relatives from out of town come to visit they always want a hot dog from Sonic and I'm like, are you serious? It's just fast food, except you're expected to tip the car hops.

So anyway, yeah, McRibs. Some people liked them and most people didn't (I always did), but take them away 10 months a year and people go nuts for them when they come back.

I have a McRib anecdote too, but I'll let 'vark shoot first.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:46 pm

1. Jack in the Box SUCKS.

2. Sonic SUCKS.

And I'm not one of these "all fast food is garbage" guys. I LOVE A GOOD FAST FOOD HAMBURGER OR OTHER ITEM.

Good Times? RULES.

Wendy's? SUCKS NOW, but used to not suck.

McDonald's? Well, I mean... it's the only place that has stuff that tastes like McDonald's.

But I'm getting off topic. Let's get back to McRib stories!

Kathy went to get a McRib once, back in Valencia. On the way back? HEAD-ON COLLISION, NEARLY DIED. (SANDWICH WAS NEVER EATEN.)

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:36 pm

I have been on a 500 calorie per day diet for the past 8 days now, so every place you mentioned sounds like Heaven to me at the moment. Seriously. I would bang a goat on pay-per-view right now -- RIGHT NOW -- in exchange for a Sonic burger.

Add Whataburger to your list. Whataburger is at best passable. It's only saving grace around here is, it's open 24/7. That may not mean much to you guys, but I live in the buckle of the bible belt. Most fast food joints around here close up shop around 10 or 11pm (save for Taco Bell). Whataburger is kind of like the White Castle of the south. It may not be good, but it's open.

For that matter, I'm not a fan of Burger King either. I don't like the way their meat tastes. It's not the meat, it's the way they flame broil it or whatever.

So, anyway. McRibs.

Back in school I was friends with a kid named Ricky Rodriquez. I graduated with 360 people and about 350 of those kids were white. We had one black kid, one Mexican kid (Ricky), and a handful of Indians. I live in the burbs, yo. Anyway, Ricky was not only our only Hispanic student, but also our only gang member. He and I were both into car audio and occasionally we would take his car out cruising at night and he would take me to parts of town neither of us had any business being in after dark ... but that's another story. I think a lot of things Ricky did were because he thought that's what Hispanic tough guys were supposed to be doing.

I didn't see Ricky for about five years after high school and then one day he shows up at my front door unexpectedly. So we talk for a while and catch up and then he asks me if I want to buy a case of McRib patties. It was such an odd question that I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't. He was working at a local meat packaging place in the freezer and ... well I learned not to ask Ricky too many questions over the years, but he had a case of McRibs in his trunk and I ended up buying them. He seemed like he needed the cash.

Over the next month, I had McRibs almost every day. It started out on sandwiches, but as the days went on we ended up cutting them up and putting them in Ramen noodles, mixing them with scrambled eggs, and using them in chili. Pretty much any way you can imagine eating McRibs, we probably tried.

A few weeks later Ricky shows up and starts trying to sell me another case of McRibs. And I'm like nah, man ... I just had McRibs for a whole month, but he keeps lowering the price (I think I paid $10 for the second case of McRibs) and I was pretty broke at this time so ... yeah, I ended up with a second case of McRibs.

I didn't see Ricky for a couple of years after that. Then one day I saw him in a convenient store and he was delivering cases of Coke on a dolly. I asked him what happened to the old job and he said he got fired for stealing McRibs.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Back in the era I like to call my party days, I was working at McD's when they first came out with the McRib. Not a terribly difficult sandwich. In fact, we even made a double stacker version, with the pickles and onions between two rib patties and then the whole thing drowned in sauce. This confection was never sold to the public, but was heartily enjoyed by more than a few workers.
The whole thing started on this one particular Friday night. ....Well wait, let me throw this in first. For a while there during this partying era, I would get out of work Friday afternoon and immediately go out and buy an FX Matt's beer ball and shove it in my fridge. Cheaper than two cases of 'good' beer, that's all I have to say about that. Anyway, that afternoon I had purchased a case of Bud as they were out of beer balls.

I worked days and there were a couple other guys that worked some nights and weekends. They would invariably come over for beer and the monkeyshines that would ensue. One of them was sweet on the closing manager so he suggested that we all go over to the store and hang out, maybe help the workers get done faster so everyone could leave earlier. This was after half a case of beer between the three of us. So we loaded up the rest of the beers in shopping bags and walked over to the restaurant. See, It's OK to drink beer (and give it to underage employees) in Mickey D's after the store is closed so long as you have it in a paper cup. Must be a state law or something, I dunno. Well anyway, there was this space cadet, Roger, working that night. The manager instructs him to go out to the outside walk-in freezer to bring in the frozen food supplies for the next day. So he does.

He comes running back in about ten minutes later babbling about being attacked in the freezer by a large rat. He claims he was in the freezer when a (goddam!) rat, the size of a (mother-fucking!) terrier dog came in after him. He then threw a case of McRibs at it and ran out, locking the alleged rodent inside.

Naturally, we all laugh at his discomfiture and call him a squeegee-headed liar. His intelligence, ancestral lineage and sobriety are variously called into question at this point and he is denied any more of our beers.

----
A brief note about Roger. Roger is the employee that, earlier in his brief but singular career as a burger converter, asked the store manager if he should use all of the gasoline in the container out back to burn the trash in the dumpster. Truly a triple-A in a nine-volt world.
----

The closing manager tells him to quit screwing around and finish up, we all want to get out of there, preferably before midnight. He insists in his story of a dangerous, man-eating rodentia out in the freezer and he steadfastly refuses to back in there.
So we all go out to see this supposed dog-sized rat that has been recently sequestered in our freezer. We crack the door and peer inside with the aid of a flashlight.
Son of a bitch, sure enough, there is a dead rat in the corner. (Roger apparently had made viable contact with the case of McRibs in his haste.)
I would say that the rat was about the size of a woodchuck, not a dog but by far the largest rat I've ever seen. I thought it might have been a possum but there were no fangs, just the two big rodent teeth up front. It was dead, right enough. The case of ribs messed it up pretty bad. Two stalwart employees, armed with garbage bags and brooms, were then pressed into service as rat-removal squad. We figured that it must have been a case of rabies that made the rat bold enough to attack a person. We never told the authorities because of the beer and all.

So any time after that, Roger was called rat-man or the rat dude. He didn't last much longer at McD's. He's probably dead now or the CEO of a software company, whichever comes first.
The McRibs themselves were from then on called rat-burgers. To the point where even the managers were saying it and some of the regular customers had to be let in on the story. It was an amusing time.

THE
DON'T MISS IT A BIT
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Either you are younger than I thought, or McRibs are older.

Awesome story, btw. I never had to defend myself against a rat, although I did once try and kill a trapped gopher by spraying it with spray paint. Didn't work. Boy, was that thing pissed. And blue.

Tdarcos

Re: Why do people go apeshit over the McRib?

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:43 pm

pinback wrote:Seriously. OMG MCRIB IS BACK!!!

What is the big deal?

I have.

Somehow that question reminds me of the very loaded, "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?" :)

Uh, Ben, I thought we didn't do quizzes here?
This signature is limited to 128 characters, or I could have said a few more things. Like, do you know who killed JFK? it was...

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:01 am

pinback wrote:1. Jack in the Box SUCKS.
Your opinion. I don't remember it as bad. I have eaten JITB but it's been over 22 years, they don't operate out here.
pinback wrote:2. Sonic SUCKS.
I've not tried their stuff, apparently the nearest Sonic is either Fredericksburg, VA or somewhere in Pennsylvania.
pinback wrote:And I'm not one of these "all fast food is garbage" guys. I LOVE A GOOD FAST FOOD HAMBURGER OR OTHER ITEM.

Good Times? RULES.
Who's Good Times? I don't know that one.
pinback wrote:Wendy's? SUCKS NOW, but used to not suck.
I don't know when the "used to" was, but I've felt Wendys tended to be better than Mickey D's. They have very good chili, which McD doesn't even offer.
pinback wrote:
McDonald's? Well, I mean... it's the only place that has stuff that tastes like McDonald's.
"Mc Donalds, the food that almost killed Morgan Spurlock."
pinback wrote:But I'm getting off topic. Let's get back to McRib stories!

Kathy went to get a McRib once, back in Valencia. On the way back? HEAD-ON COLLISION, NEARLY DIED. (SANDWICH WAS NEVER EATEN.)
The moral of this story is that if she hadn't been hungry, she'd never have gotten into the accident. If she wasn't eating she'd not have potentially died.
This signature is limited to 128 characters, or I could have said a few more things. Like, do you know who killed JFK? it was...

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:17 am

I was typing this in when an infomercial for a food packaging system came on which I had to roll away (remember, I'm in a wheel chair so I don't "get up" but the idea is the same) to change the channel, because it began with "Have you ever had to throw away rotten meat or moldy cheese?" I didn't want to think about McDonalds or any of their products right now.
Flack wrote:...asks me if I want to buy a case of McRib patties... he had a case of McRibs in his trunk and I ended up buying them. He seemed like he needed the cash. [DELETED] A few weeks later Ricky shows up and starts trying to sell me another case of McRibs. [DELETED] I didn't see Ricky for a couple of years after that. Then one day I saw him in a convenient store and he was delivering cases of Coke on a dolly. I asked him what happened to the old job and he said he got fired for stealing McRibs.
Now I have forgotten why I was replying. It was some funny story related to this message.

Oh well, I'll do a different one. Guy is arrested for stealing parking meters, pleads not guilty and tries to post bail, several hundred dollars, all in small change...

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:38 pm

Either you are younger than I thought, or McRibs are older.
Just wiki-ed the McRib history and it sounds about right. We got them in the store either just before or just after the space shuttle blew up, don't remember exactly. Probably just before, so the rat incident was back in middle to late 1985.

I wish I could have taken pix of the rat, tho. All I got is random McD photos and some helium audio.

THE
HISTORIC
HAND GRENADES AND HORSESHOES
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:06 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
pinback wrote:1. Jack in the Box SUCKS.
Your opinion.
No, quantifiable fact.
Who's Good Times? I don't know that one.
Good Times Burgers & Frozen Custard. Like so.. Never had the custard. Burgers are aces. And if you go on the website you can make the burgers SHAKE LIKE MOTHERFUCKERS.

TDR, did-- have YOU ever had a McRib? Do remember any particular instances when you enjoyed a McRib, perhaps with friends?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Flack wrote:Seriously. I would bang a goat on pay-per-view right now -- RIGHT NOW -- in exchange for a Sonic burger.
"And I take care of the skanks on the road that you bang." - Tom Cruise, "Jerry McGuire"

So I guess your sports agent would take care of feeding the goat, eh, Flack?

As for me, a few years ago someone accused me of short-arming sheep. You can see my response here, but here's the text:
Bob wrote:
>"Paul Robinson fucks sheep"

I really (baaah) resent your (baaah) untrue and (baaah) cruel and (baaah)

Gertrude, be quiet and get back in bed, I'll be with you in a moment.

I really resent your untrue and cruel comment about my sex life.

Okay, Gertrude, now back to what we were doing. How are you?

(Baaaah)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Sen. Pinback wrote:TDR, are you now or have -- have YOU ever been a member of the Communist Party? Do you remember any particular instances when you enjoyed being with Communists, perhaps with friends?
"Senator, I must respectfully invoke the Fifth Amendment. Besides, we don't do quizzes on here."
Sen. Pinback wrote:Well, have you ever eaten a McRib?
Am I supposed to say, "I would publicly eat a plate of shit at Walmart first?" Actually, I've heard the ribs from the Whistle Stop Cafe were delicious too.

Tdarcos

Re: Why do people go apeshit over the McRib?

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:47 pm

pinback wrote:Seriously. OMG MCRIB IS BACK!!!
This was also the lead story on 10/28 Colbert Report
pinback wrote:What is the big deal?

I just bought 5 of them this afternoon along with a #14, my favorite, an Angus burger with mushroom and swiss, fries and a Dr. Pepper. I was alone. I went home without the Angus, soda or fries and only had 4 of the McRib left. I had two delicious sandwiches, or two orders of toxic waste depending on your point of view.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:48 pm

What happened to the remaining McRibs?

Also, check a mirror. Sometimes that sauce can just grab hold when you're not expecting it.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:26 pm

My doctor's appt. is Tuesday morning. I'm planning on getting a McRib for lunch. I guess bread is officially off of my diet permanently now, so I may have to just pick that fake rib-shaped meat blob up with my fingers and eat it that way. Sounds both messy and delicious at the moment. It's amazing what two weeks of living off of protein drinks will make sound appetizing. I've been daydreaming about eating a hamburger. Or a grasshopper.

For what it's worth, I'm down 25 pounds in two weeks ... which is kind of like saying, "I emptied 20 Dixie cups of water out of the ocean,' but it's a start.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:07 am

25 Lbs. in two weeks.

And I bet it feels pretty darn good.

I was put on the South beach diet a year ago and it was frankly pretty cool.

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 am

It feels terrible, vark. I'm starving for God's sake!

Mmmm ... Aardvark sandwiches ...

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 am

Flack wrote:It feels terrible, vark. I'm starving for God's sake!

Mmmm ... Aardvark sandwiches ...
What got me was that nobody mentioned the song "Timothy" by The Buoys during the Chilean miner crisis:
Trapped in a mine that had caved in
And everyone knows the only ones left
Was Joe and me and Tim
When they broke through to pull us free
The only ones left to tell the tale
Was Joe and me

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go?
Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know?

Hungry as hell no food to eat
And Joe said that he would sell his soul
For just a piece of meat
Water enough to drink for two
And Joe said to me, "I'll take a swig
And then there's some for you."

Timothy, Timothy, Joe was looking at you
Timothy, Timothy, God what did we do?

I must have blacked out just around then
'Cause the very next thing that I could see
Was the light of the day again
My stomach was full as it could be
And nobody ever got around
To finding Timothy

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go?
Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know?

Timothy...