Darwinia

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

pinback

Darwinia

Post by pinback » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:59 pm

Look at this game, which is going to be released in a few weeks. Try out the demo. I would call this demo one of the more surreally hypnotic gaming experiences I can remember. Part RTS, part Tron tribute, part a bunch of other weird things thrown into the pot, I can't quite get my head around a few aspects of the game. Namely:

1. Is there any way to lose?

2. Issuing build commands by drawing pictures instead of pressing buttons: Ingenious design choice, or unnecessary annoyance?

3. Did I enjoy myself or not?

4. Will I buy this game when it's released?

5. What were these dudes shmokin'?

What do YOU think about this game? Let's go to the phones.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:00 pm

Oh, also: I bought Juno Nemesis Remix and it sucks. I didn't buy Wik yet, but probably will, because it doesn't suck. Jets 'n' Guns also appears not to suck, but I probably won't buy it.

This has been Ben's Shareware Gaming Update.

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:01 pm

Oh, also, I really want to purchase Tennis Critters, but the page from which you purchase it no longer exists. So, I'm willing to WAREZ PIRATE this game if anyone knows where to get it.

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:13 pm

Oh, and failing finding a full version of Tennis Critters, someone find me another decent video tennis game.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:21 pm

I have a great DOS Tennis game. Reminder to self! Upload when home!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Darwinia

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:16 pm

pinback wrote:Look at this game, which is going to be released in a few weeks. Try out the demo. I would call this demo one of the more surreally hypnotic gaming experiences I can remember. Part RTS, part Tron tribute, part a bunch of other weird things thrown into the pot, I can't quite get my head around a few aspects of the game. Namely:

2. Issuing build commands by drawing pictures instead of pressing buttons: Ingenious design choice, or unnecessary annoyance?

Wow.

Are you involved with this project in some capacity?

Worm

Post by Worm » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:32 pm

pinback wrote:Oh, also: I bought Juno Nemesis Remix and it sucks. I didn't buy Wik yet, but probably will, because it doesn't suck. Jets 'n' Guns also appears not to suck, but I probably won't buy it.

This has been Ben's Shareware Gaming Update.
Yeah, fuck breakquest, just another breakout clone. But a Tempest clone, Well, HOLEEEEEEE FUCK!

"we've been stunned into silence, knocked senseless by the combination of gorgeous visual design... ...and some brilliant game mechanics!" -PC Gamer (November 2004)
I saw quotes like this for Geneforge too. So I'm wondering, are these the same authors that proclaimed Doom 3 cured cancer?
Good point Bobby!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:11 pm

By the way, I am LOVING the fact that I ended up writing indie games in the one (and I do mean the one) genre that NOBODY PAYS FOR. Ha ha ha!

Here are some quick comparisons.

o If you write a human-only "salary cap" manager for Front Page Sports Football... you can charge for it.

o If you write a modern-day text adventure you can't.

o If you write a program that allows you to enter in "Pac-Man Jones" as a selectable defensive back for Front Page Sports Football... you can charge for it.

WYORM

Post by WYORM » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:05 pm

Minimum System Specs
600Mhz processor
GeForce2 graphics card
128mb RAM, 10mb HD
Windows98

My Specs
450Mhz PIII
GeForce2 100/200 MX
352mb RAM
Windows98

Come on! I can not draw a symbol it's so fucking laggy. Can't we just set every min spec for all games made recently to "Made at least 3 years ago" and stop yanking my Presario's chain? I mean. FUCK! I'd try all low configuration, but it crashes before I get the chance.

Worm

Post by Worm » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:14 pm

Yeah, fuck mouse gestures, and fuck this game.
Good point Bobby!

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:55 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
pinback wrote:Look at this game, which is going to be released in a few weeks. Try out the demo. I would call this demo one of the more surreally hypnotic gaming experiences I can remember. Part RTS, part Tron tribute, part a bunch of other weird things thrown into the pot, I can't quite get my head around a few aspects of the game. Namely:

Wow.

Are you involved with this project in some capacity?
I am involved with this project in the capacity of someone who downloaded the demo yesterday and posted about it on a bulletin board computer system which I frequent. Frequently.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:45 am

pinback wrote:1. Is there any way to lose?
Well, my first squad got wiped out.
I played Warcraft II for like 36 hours straight when it came out. I played a little Red Alert. There has not been a single interesting development in Real Time Strategy games since then. "Oh, but!" "Wait, there is -- " "Hey dummy, what about --" Yeah, save it. The genre hasn't had anything new for anyone in almost 10 years.

THIS game, however... I didn't instantly hate it! I like the gestures. I hated them in Black & White, I should say. But I liked it in this.

Very much so. I would definitely download the ISO.

I don't know. I'm archiving the CD if I get it. (This is true for all future CDs.) Is there a CD check? Then no, frankly. Is it going to be compatible with my system? Seriously, an AMD chip with a Radeon card is pretty fucking straight forward. The demo looked OK, though....

I just had such a rotten experience with Half-Life 2 and Vampire... well, I would say this. If I didn't buy those two games I would definitely have purchased Darwinia when it came (comes) out. Does that help?

I like that Tony Kornheiser did the tutorial. I liked that a lot!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:46 am

WYORM wrote: My Specs
450Mhz PIII
GeForce2 100/200 MX
352mb RAM
Windows98
Are you even allowed on the Internet with that system?

Worm

Post by Worm » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:19 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
WYORM wrote: My Specs
450Mhz PIII
GeForce2 100/200 MX
352mb RAM
Windows98
Are you even allowed on the Internet with that system?
I had to install a special PCI card to call people maggots, but yeah, it works.

Next time you're commenting on low system specs, don't sound like such a hardware shill. You can get away with PII if you really want, if share/freeware kept their specs low I'd be fine. It's supposed to be like a vector neat computer world, but it's got shading and shit.
Good point Bobby!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:41 am

Hey, nobody hates hardware more than me.

I'd like to be a private investigator. Okay, I'd like to play defensive end for the New Orleans Saints or be a green lantern, but for real -- private investigator. Doesn't sound too bad. That's the big career switch I'd like to make.

Unfortunately you don't really get a job doing it, you just do it and get certified or something. Nobody is hiring for "private investigator." No one legitimate, anyway.

But I truly hate hardware. That's what working for a CPU manufacturer will do to you. I guess that's true of any industry?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:06 am

But let's keep talking Darwinia!!

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:43 pm

14 days until the release!

R U having a release party @ ur house Jonsy?

Here is some Darwinia haiku:

The very best game
That hasn't been released yet...
It's Darwinia!

Have a DarWINNING day!

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:56 am

THREE MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:58 pm

Jesus Christ, $39.99!!?!? Thanks for passing the savings of indie development onto the user you fucks.

Note to self: buy game when I get a new job. Wait, I'll make it one of those pinner-style STATUS thingers that the kids love:

Vitriola

I'd vote for you

Post by Vitriola » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:11 am

http://www.tigsource.com/sexiest-indie-gamer.html

You know, some people believe that indie gamers are not sexy.

I know - you're looking at your reflection in your computer screen and thinking, "Wait a minute - I'm an indie gamer, and I'm sexier than pretty much everyone I know!"

Trust me, friend. I'm doing the exact same thing.

We're indie gamers, and we're sexy. Now what? Well, it's time to show the world that indie gaming is all about being sexy. It's about knowing that your paying less money for great games that are made by people who love gaming. Wow, that is so incredibly SEXY. It's mind-blowing!

We're out to prove that somewhere out there, born under the good Grace of God or Gish or whatever you want to call 'er, is an indie gamer who is so sexy that he or she is fit to wear the title of "The Sexiest Indie Gamer of All Time". And hoo boy, if that isn't sexy, by anyone's standards.

This is a contest. If you know you that you are "The Sexiest Indie Gamer of All Time", then you know what you must do. You must enter this contest and claim your place in history. Only then can we teach the world the truth about indie gaming!

(Plus, there are, like, a lot of cool prizes for the winner, like free games and swag from Moonpod and The Behemoth. Read on for details!)
For Those New to Indie Gaming

Indie gaming refers to games that are, to put it simply, not made by big companies. Indie games are developed by small, focused teams, and are usually sold for less than the price of a commercial game (they may even be free!). You won't see the majority of indie games on store shelves, because so many of them are self-published and distributed.

Because they usually don't have the big bucks behind them, indie games may rely on creative or innovative game design to sell. Or they may be very retro, providing the kind of old-school gameplay that you can't find commercially. They may also cater to casual gamers who want quick doses of gaming rather than a prolonged epic.

Indie gaming provides an alternative to the increasingly eye candy-obsessed, corporate machine that is the game industry. It survives because its fans enjoy the innovation, the classic gameplay, and the cheap prices. Indie developers make games that THEY want to make.

An indie gamer is someone who plays indie games and appreciates what they stand for.
The Sponsors

Moonpod has quickly become synonymous with great indie gaming. Their stunning debut came in 2003 with the game Starscape, a brilliant 2D shooter that combined the best elements of arcade and strategy games. Starscape was an overnight success with gamers and critics alike, and went on to win the coveted title of Game of the Year from GameTunnel, one of the premiere independent gaming sites. Currently, they are working on Mr. Robot, an isometric action and adventure game that's inspired by old Spectrum classics like Knightlore and Head Over Heels. Mr. Robot is due out sometime this year.

A true indie success story, The Behemoth's first title - Alien Hominid - began as a single-level flash game and ended up one of the most highly anticipated games for the Gamecube and PS2 in 2004. The Behemoth sold custom t-shirts, skateboards, and figurines to fund the development of their dream game, an old-school 2D platform shooter with blistering gameplay and a wonderfully unique graphical style. Released last November to critical acclaim, Alien Hominid was touted by The Official Playstation Magazine as representing "everything that is good about the gaming industry". We're waiting expectantly to see what these guys will come up with next!

As a Mac software company, Panic proves that exceptional applications can be built by a small number of people who are devoted to what they do. Probably most well known for Transmit, the premiere FTP client for the Mac, the guys at Panic consistently prove that they know good design. Their current product, a Usenet browser named Unison, has already won two Apple Design Awards in 2004, one for "Runner-Up, Best Mac OSX Product" and another for "Winner, Best Mac OSX Experience". Although not game developers (yet), Panic definitely embodies the indie spirit and we're grateful to have them here!
The Prizes

As the winner:

(1) You will be crowned "The Sexiest Indie Gamer of All Time", a title which no one can take away from you until the end of time. You will receive a custom digital trophy (the one shown is just a placeholder) that you may display proudly anywhere on the web.

(2) You will receive a free copy of Moonpod's award-winning computer game, Starscape.

(3) You will receive a free copy of The Behemoth's critically-acclaimed Alien Hominid, for either the Gamecube or PS2.

(4) You will receive a free set of the ultra-groovy Alien Hominid urban vinyl figurines.

(5) You will receive a free, limited-edition mousepad featuring Mr. Robot, the lovable protagonist from Moonpod's upcoming game.

(6) You will receive two free t-shirts (of any size you choose) from Panic, featuring characters from Adventure, the classic Atari game.

Our prizes clearly rock, 'nuff said!
How to Enter

To enter your sexy self into this contest, you must submit the following by e-mail:

1. Anywhere from one to three photos. The photo(s) must be attached as a jpeg, and they must be under 200 kb in size each. No links - just attach the photo to your e-mail.

2. Your FULL name, first and last.

3. Where you're from. At least a country!

4. Your favorite indie game or games.

5. A 500-word-or-less essay explaining why YOU are "The Sexiest Indie Gamer of All Time".

Any submissions that don't contain ALL of the above-mentioned will be blasted into orbit around Saturn's moon so that the geeks at NASA can make fun of you... but I'll probably give you a gentle warning first.