X-Men Legends

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

X-Men Legends

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:27 am

I am hesitant to review it, because I am not even close to finishing it.

It's good, except where it is definitely not good, and that's where you're moving some teenage chick around a mansion talking to other "mutants" about, hell, I don't know, boys and clothes and so forth. I'll let guest reviewer Stephen A. Smith review that part of the game:
Last edited by Ice Cream Jonsey on Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Stephen A. Smith

X-MEN LEGENDS

Post by Stephen A. Smith » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:31 am

X-MEN LEGENDS IS TERRIBLE!

THE LITTLE GIRL SCENES ARE TERRIBLE!

HOWEVER! The fighting scenes aren't that bad.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:33 am

Thanks, Stephen.

There's also inane unlockable content. I've played it for probably three hours and there is no "Nightcrawler" character.

Here's a conversation between my brother and I:
ICJ: Hey, play X-Men with me.
Mike: No, I want to go home.
ICJ: You can be any X-Men you want.
Mike: Can I "be" Nightcrawler?
ICJ: Well, I haven't unlocked him yet.
Mike: I hate that unlocking shit.
ICJ: Yeah.
Mike: ... So are you going to take me home?
ICJ: Okay.
The combat is great, but everything else in the game sucks. Luckily, the combat is so good I don't care.

Dean Trumbell

Re: X-MEN LEGENDS

Post by Dean Trumbell » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:35 am

Stephen A. Smith wrote:NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT UP.

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Dean Trumbell wrote:SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT UP.
Suddenly, I love it here again.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Linda Partridge

Post by Linda Partridge » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:35 pm

Dean Trumbell wrote:SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT UP.
Shut the fuck up SHUT THE FUCK UP!!

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:03 pm

So the combat is good? I need details, bitch. The commercials make it look like some Freedom Force evolution where cars get chucked around and OMG FASTBALL SPECIAL!!! But reading the reviews, it sounds like you mostly just run around punching people in the face and occasionally pressing X for an optic blast or something.

I don't want to want play this game, but I do.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:04 pm

Debaser wrote:So the combat is good? I need details, bitch.
Oh, it's very good. Very satisfying. They have a button which is mapped exclusively to throwing guys off buildings.

And I should say with categorial confidence that I quite like throwing guys off buildings.

There is a bad RPG system in place where you "level up" and get additional powers from X-Men. Some of them even have stuff I am unaware of -- remember that time Beast called down a strike from an orbital laser? Good times! Good times for everyone but the guy on the business end of that laser.

Well, okay... I have never actually seen the Beast do that, but if I level him up enough he gets the capability.

The commercials make it look like some Freedom Force evolution where cars get chucked around and OMG FASTBALL SPECIAL!!!
Yeah. The "fastball special" is very stupid, but I think they made it the basis of their advertising campaign to try to get people like me who read the X-Men in the 1980s to care about the game, because the costume designs are so modern and awful. I mean, the whole thing with Wolverine is that he's absolutely butt ugly. Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent and Peter Parker are a bunch of nancy pretty boys who oftentimes gaze at their pretty boy navels just wishing that other boys would call and put them in stiletto heels and call them "Nancy." Wolverine looks like he has one exception to his mutant healing power, which is getting hit in the face with a shovel. Except not in the "Ultimate" universe! In that he strangely looks like Hugh Jackman.

Freedom Force was great, but it would have been better if they had let you control one guy with a gamepad. But they didn't! They should have.

But reading the reviews, it sounds like you mostly just run around punching people in the face and occasionally pressing X for an optic blast or something.
Yeah. It's a rental, so far. I can't say that I won't get instantly sick of it at some future point. But I also get about an hour a night to dork around with these things, so the rental option is tough for me.

I don't want to want play this game, but I do.
Yeah, Blockbuster wants, what, $4 for a rental? It's worth that, already. Just, the thing is, if you have a pal over you may want to get past the stupid solo mission at the start before he or she but probably with this merging comics and video games he comes over.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:03 am

Unfortunately, this thing is infinitely better as a multiplayer game than a single player one. Which makes it totally flawed, as it puts single-player crap in the middle of your multiplayer goodness.