Love hurts... (extremely long rant involved)

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:37 pm

I demand it!

Lysander

Post by Lysander » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:38 pm

Freddie wrote:Lysander, how would you describe the "magic," so far, of your little BBS carreer?
Quite similar to the "magic" of slowly slitting your adams apple with a very sharp steak knife. In other words, very good, thank you for asking.
Last edited by Lysander on Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

Larry King

Post by Larry King » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:39 pm

BLUE

Post by BLUE » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:51 pm

For one I didn't come out of nowhere I just hadn't posted in a year I still read alot..and for two if you go back to 2001 when we broke up before Straw posted alot of shit on Groucho about me ..90% of which was not true at all.
when I actually read all of this for the first time a few months ago he tried to downplay some of the lies by saying he was just upset. I felt that it was my time that everyone else hear my side of the fucking story all of which is true and even Straw himself won't deny... so fuck off.

Lysander

Post by Lysander » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:59 pm

Y'see, here's the thing: Jack Straw is being very, well, I suppose "brave" would be the propper term, by allowing you to post his balls--literally and figuratively--up on a public BBS for everyone to mock. And what you're saying serves to promote you in the minds of everyone--it seems very self-serving. In fact, everyon--thing you've done on here seems very self-serving. if you broke up in 2001, than why are you posting this now? What's wit hall the shit about the electricity, which you're shutting off mearly in a fit of stuck-up rage? If you got together after that, then why did you call Jack a "former" boyfriend only dwo weeks ago and are threatening to turn off his electricity now? You see, Blue? Details don't line up in *your own* posts, let alone Jack's. And since Jack seems a very smart and intellegent person, whereas you by all appearances of having the intellegence of a rootabega, I am inclined to believe Jack more at this point.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:06 pm

You all might know Straw a lot better than I do, but let me just say AGAIN, from a purely objective perspective, BLUE so far is the big winner in this entire thing. Straw I think is relying on his real-life reputation with the rest of these people, which, since I don't know him in real life, results in him looking like a major douchedouche in this whole thing.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:18 pm

Lysander wrote:And since Jack seems a very smart and intellegent person, whereas you by all appearances of having the intellegence of a rootabega, I am inclined to believe Jack more at this point.
You all might know Straw a lot better than I do, but let me just say AGAIN, from a purely objective perspective, BLUE so far is the big winner in this entire thing. Straw I think is relying on his real-life reputation with the rest of these people, which, since I don't know him in real life, results in him looking like a major douchedouche in this whole thing.
What, is someone going to post a Straw vs. BLUE poll? Are the results going to effect either of their lives one iota in any real way? Are the Staw supporters and the BLUE supporters going to line up on either side of the street, and rumble?

We are not the jury in an asshole trial, here. We're not the family patriarchs trying to decide which of our two feuding relatives we're going to invite to the reunion. We're not... fuck it, I'm out of metaphors, but you get the idea.

Additionally:

A request for the moderator of this base:

Any chance you'd be inclined to seperate the early, "musings about love" section of this thread from the even earlier, and then later, soap opera portions?

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:23 pm

No chance whatsoever.

That's like asking Da Vinci if he could make the bitch smile a little more.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:39 pm

Are you saying this thread is your "Mona Lisa" or something?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:47 pm

pinback wrote:No chance whatsoever.

That's like asking Da Vinci if he could make the bitch smile a little more.
Or maybe it's like asking Kevin Costner to not make The Postman so fucking long. Do you realize who hard it is to work within your aesthetic standards? Do you?

Fine, we'll play it your way, Parrish. And I'll have you know, I voted "yes" in that poll.
The last time I saw my father was Thanksgiving last year, and while I was there (not knowing what the very near future was to hold), I just watched how he and his wife acted, after nearly 30 years of marriage. The way they still smiled just at the sight of the other. The way they couldn't pass each other in the hall without kissing and giggling this lovestruck little giggle. The way you knew each of them was, by far, the most important thing in the others' life, and they knew it, and they relished it and savored it for all it was worth.

And before you say, "Oh, that's just because they both knew he was a goner, and he was probably looped up painkillers anyway", let me just tell you this:

They didn't act one bit differently than any other time I've seen them together, and they got together when I was about three years old.

So I know it's out there, and I know it's great, and I know that for me to live my life without it is just wasting time and fooling myself.

And if you're anything like me, then the same thing goes for you, too.
Someone once described love as the new American religion.

I used to know this girl who was a devout Christian. I mean, despite being an entity of above average intelligence, she was a fucking Creationist. So, like I said, she believed. And the thing was, in talking to her, she could almost make you believe. Not because she was evangelical in any way or shape (she was saddened but respectful of my own ahteism), but because she believed in such a profound, personal way, that God was there for her that you were almost entirely incapable of doubting her. Telling her that God didn't exist would have been like, well, telling your father that he wasn't in love.

But that doesn't mean that God does exist any more than it means that love is something other than a state you convince yourself to be in.

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:49 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Are you saying this thread is your "Mona Lisa" or something?
I'm saying every thread I craft is like a thousand "Mona Lisa"s combined into one.

Every little thing I do is, to coin a phrase, "magic".

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:50 pm

Pinback, how would you define the "magic" of every little thing you do that is ma--BANNED!

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:53 pm

Debaser wrote:But that doesn't mean that God does exist any more than it means that love is something other than a state you convince yourself to be in.
Let me say it again, Debaser, because it looks like there was some static on your internet connection. The difference between LOVE and GOD is that I have seen love. With my bare fucking hands. It's not fairy tales, it's not made up superstitious bullcrap. It's real. I have seen it with mine own drunk-ass eyes. And I've felt it with mine own feelers.

Or at least, I've seen love how I define it. Which is just as I've described.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:08 pm

Well, since I went over to the bar during the lull after my last posts and now have read everything that came after, I have to say, that was the funniest Bob Green post yet.

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:12 pm

pinback wrote:Let me say it again, Debaser, because it looks like there was some static on your internet connection. The difference between LOVE and GOD is that I have seen love.
No, you've seen someone who seemed to be in love. Just like I've seen someone who seemed to know God.

I have no doubt that there are people in this world of a type to get caught up in someone else's needs. My mother is one of these people. I have no doubt that you can find someone sexually attractive over a long period of time. I have, personally, experienced "the magic" of having a best friend. I can imagine, in theory, all three of these factors coming together in one person (or pair of people, as it were) and forming something akin to what would be called "love". But that's quite the Holy Grail to search after and base your future happiness on finding.

And romantic love as either a specific, independant emotion, or a primal force of nature? Psha.

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:15 pm

I certainly don't mean this to be a loaded question, Debaser. I'll load it up afterwards, if necessary, but indulge my curiosity:

How old are you?

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:18 pm

pinback wrote:I certainly don't mean this to be a loaded question, Debaser. I'll load it up afterwards, if necessary, but indulge my curiosity:

How old are you?
23. And, yes, I know. But you're, what, forty-something and, as that one crappy U2 song states, "You still haven't found what you're lookin' for.".

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:26 pm

Not at all.

I'm 32, btw.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:30 pm

Debaser wrote:And romantic love as either a specific, independant emotion, or a primal force of nature? Psha.
It's unfortunate that I used up the last of my available cash reserves on a bottle of Safeway Brand "Safeway" Combination Hair Tonic & Emulsifying Vodka, because brother-man, I'd definitely be buying what you are saying.

But while I don't think it's some sort of primal edict, I feel reasonably confident for my purposes that I've been in love, and certainly a form other than the typical teenage fascination that all my friends told me that I was in and I didn't believe them but they were right, ah well, no harm no foul.

Course, I can't say for certain if the woman in question ever felt the same. I mean, who really knows? For a long, long, long time that really mattered to me. I don't think it does any longer. I really believe that each person has a right to think whatever thoughts they like in their own mind no matter how good or how terrible, and attempts to stifle that ability or unfairly draw it out because maybe you have some charisma or "power" over another person really angers me. With that in mind, I can only say for certain that, when I think back to how I was laying in a broken and busted-up bed, completely penniless, falling into a faint sleep from a hard day's work of humilating job and being an awful college student that I, without question or reservation, loved the girl that was next to me with all my heart, head and soul. I didn't have, even remotely, a single other thing in the world of any value and I honestly didn't care. So even if she never felt anything near the same, what the hell. I did. GO GO GOOD TEAM

And it'll happen again. I have a lot of faith that it'll happen to the lot of you who are hanging around this place. You're all wonderful people whose company I genuinely enjoy, and unless some of you whom I haven't met have a large axe running down through the would-be "symmetrical" part of your face, good things will eventually happen to you.

And shit, if you do have such an affliction, well, modern science has come a long way with fixing the hairlip, and I imagine that it won't be long before they can solve the problem of the entire hairface.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!