The Official JC at Classic Games Expo 2003 Thread!

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Official JC at Classic Games Expo 2003 Thread!

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue May 06, 2003 9:39 am

It's August 9th and 10th.

It costs $25 for a pass.

More, unlike E3, they want us there.

It's also in Las Vegas.

OK, we've got a tentative "sure" out of Bruce. (See the ill-fated E3 thread in the comic forum for more on that.) Roody and Vitriola seemed to be interested. I am very much so interested.

Most shockingly of all, I got a "maybe" out of Ben. Ben is currently fictionally in the hospital with some sort of gout / botolism / extended gout thingie in his heart, and maybe brain, so presuming that wasn't the fictional sickness, we may be able to get him to commit if we press the issue. And I do so enjoy "pressing the issue," it's my favorite thing to do next to picking an intern.

So there's that. Further bulletins, blah blah.

When's Bruce get back, anyway? I need to know so I can make sure I've stopped talking about him behind his back.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Worm

Post by Worm » Tue May 06, 2003 12:03 pm

I think I may be busy with college ... I don't really know ...

So what? Is it just a bunch of computers with MAME installed or what?
Good point Bobby!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Tue May 06, 2003 2:28 pm

I think Bruce said he was getting back on the 9th.

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun May 11, 2003 7:37 am

Roody_Yogurt wrote:I think Bruce said he was getting back on the 9th.
Back now.

Bruce

bruce

Post by bruce » Sat May 31, 2003 9:31 am

OK, folks.

Getting close to time to say if you're in or out. August 9 and 10.

I'm *in* if at least one other person is. Jonsey, I'm looking at you.

The Plaza Hotel, if we mention the CGE code, is a whopping $60 per night for Friday and Saturday and $40 for Sunday, and at that price I'd rather sleep no more than two to a room. I don't mind having a party room here, but I'd really rather not share a bed with a fellow gamer. Unless she's a hot chick. Or, really, a chick. I don't want to share a bed with Jonsey or Worm or Gred or Roody, is what I'm *actually* saying.

Oh, and I snore and fart. (For the chicks: no, of course not really!)

Tickets to the convention are $25.

I looked at flying SWA to and from Vegas. If I booked this instant it'd be $228 round trip if I stayed until Monday morning. That's cheaper, even with the $40 for a room, than flying back Sunday, so I intend to take Friday and Monday off. Get out there Friday night, drink, maybe gamble some, do the expo Saturday, party with 80s video games Saturday night, do the expo Sunday, it ends about 4PM, drink, gamble, crash, go to airport Monday morning.

So for me the total cost--if *nobody* else went and there was nobody to share a room with--would be $228 plus $25 plus $160 plus taxis (call it $50), or roughly $450 plus booze, gambling, and hookers.

I'm willing to spend that on a 4-day weekend of classic video gaming debauchery. If more of us go, we can do it a little cheaper, because we can split rooms; if I have one person sharing my room, I get back $80 of that. The bulk of the cost for me is still plane fare though.

So, time to grit your teeth and say whether you're in or out. I know Ben is already pussying out because he has a wedding to go to (I mean, REALLY. We could totally get him to the airport Sunday morning). Jonsey has already pussied out on the two videogame auctions in St. Louis I've tried to get him to go to, so I'm hoping he's actually got some resolve for this one. Besides, airfare to Vegas is cheaper from Denver.

Who else is with me? Roody Yogurt? Protagonist X? Greg? Worm? Vitriola? Loafergirl? Milkunits? Molly Muffsweet? bot? ROCKER? liker?

Bruce

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Sat May 31, 2003 2:22 pm

I'm pretty sure I'll go. I'm just looking at plane tickets now.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat May 31, 2003 4:18 pm

I'm gonna drive out... so in theory, there should be little to no use of taxis.

Shit, I was hoping that Ben would make an appearance for some of the days. I am grappling with my desire to go to the CGE versus moving the trip up a week (would Ben be able to make it then, he asked Ben).

My brother is likely to join us in this endeavor.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat May 31, 2003 10:19 pm

FUCK. Pinner has clearly seen this thread and not replied. He's not going to cave. Fuck. FUCK.

We can quickly, easily and completely get him on a plane in time for the wedding he doesn't want to go to. We can do this! WE ARE THE TOMORROW PEOPLE. WE SEE FARTHER.

Dammit!

bruce

Post by bruce » Sat May 31, 2003 10:21 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I'm gonna drive out... so in theory, there should be little to no use of taxis.
Cool. I may talk Kris Domich into going; he's a guy working on this current LA gig with me.

Anyway....is that a definite "I'm goin'" from you? Because if it is, I'll buy my tickets tomorrow when I can call the SWA Group Discount number (yeah, http://www.cgexpo.com has discount rates on hotel and airfare if you mention particular promo codes....mention "Classic Gaming Expo" to the Plaza Hotel, K0226 to SWA, and Agreement Code VPSFWN, Z Code ZB3R to Continental.

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat May 31, 2003 10:33 pm

I'm definitely going. Yeah. Let me go write Benjamin "Pinback" Parrish one more time to beg him to see if there is any possible way that he could show up for even part of the event.

It'll take me 11 hours to get to Vegas. So probably this means driving out early Thursday morning. I can take plenty of days off, but my brother will mewl and mewl and mewl about not being there for the Honey Board as much as humanly possible (oh and I should mention -- he hates his job. No, I don't understand it either.).

Milkunits is getting married at the end of August. I'd almost guarantee that he wouldn't go anyway, as he does more bailing than Don Baylor.

I think that Vitriola wanted to make the trip... let me write her an e-mail; I haven't seen her on-line in a while.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat May 31, 2003 10:38 pm

Lemme see if I can raise Parrish on ICQ. If he can make that Thursday and Friday it would rock. He didn't want to go to the actual CGE anyway. If he is coming then we'll be in better shape to grab rooms.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat May 31, 2003 10:41 pm

Hey, Roody's on the ifMud. I am heading there now. Though, Roody has been idle for a half hour.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt » Sat May 31, 2003 10:51 pm

Sorry, I was taking a night drive in Mafia... I'm so around now.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat May 31, 2003 11:03 pm

These SONS OF WHORES are all gone now, though, so it's sort of a moot point.

bruce

Post by bruce » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:52 am

So, what's the plan as to how long we're going for?

I had assumed I would take some or all of Friday and some of Monday off. I didn't plan to also take Thursday off. But it sounds like that's what Jonsey wants to do.

Other folks-who-might-be-going?

Bruce

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:26 pm

Yeah, I'd better plan on getting there Thursday night. I will be beat from the drive and if I head out Friday morning, then I'll be tired and mopey for the first hot "action" day.

Plus I am still holding out hope that Pinner might make it for at least Thursday.

Don't feel obligated to be there on Thursday if it doesn't work for you, though -- I'll be fine either way. If you're there we'll hit the town, if not I'll take the opportunity to rest from the 11 hour drive.

Lex

Post by Lex » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:48 am

This would cost me over a grande. A American Grande, sure, so that's what, £1,200 all-in-all?

Great though it would be, I'm not sure I should really be spending all my student loans on one weekend of debauchery, for which I will be too young to enjoy most of your homeland. Laying girls over 18? Pah. Drink? Gambling? Is this something rediculous like 21?

I need to know. This might swing it.
WHOOA!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:16 am

Jesus, Mike McD, don't spend your student loans on a trip to Vegas. I don't even know where to begin with that statement.

Yeah, they'll expect you to be 21 for everything but the CGE.

I just found out that Citibank has been running the fucking juice for ten years on two loans that my parents took out ten fucking years ago, so I'm not in any shape to accurately or rationally discuss loans. Here's my advice, Lexley:

1) Don't take out any loans
2) Get a scholarship. Or scholarships.
3) FUCK THA POLICE

Lex

Post by Lex » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:39 am

YEs.

Christ, I hate Lex.
WHOOA!

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:07 am

OK, I'm booked.

I have reservations on Southwest, arriving in Vegas at 10:15 PM on the 7th, and leaving at 4:55 PM on the 10th. I have a room at the Plaza; it has two queen size beds so I could potentially split it with someone, although I snore. And fart.

I don't have actual CGE tickets yet because the site seems to be down at the moment.

Bruce