Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Question - my Ubuntu computer has a USB wireless piece and loses connection to my router at least once a day. Does this happen to any of you?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Looks like a lot of people have this issue. First two suggestions are to change the power setting, and disable IPV6. Third option seems to be disabling DHCP. Fixes get more drastic after that.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1030653 ... -18-04-lts
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have a Windows XP computer I am giving to my father in law, as he is without a computer when my nephew leaves and takes the family laptop. I have a bunch of files I'm trying to get off the computer.

I have avoided trying to transfer the files via a NETWORK because I knew that if there was one thing Microsoft was absolutely going to cock up, it was a Windows XP computer and a Windows 10 computer sitting literally next to each other and plugged into the ethernet cables of a router being able to see each other.

I mean, I hate their software more than anything else in life, but I you honestly have to laugh at how complicated they make this process. The computers don't see each other by default. They were on different "workgroups" so I put the Win10 one on the "DND" workgroup but that had no effect. The XP computer has the drives shared and the little hand icon is showing... I mean, for fuck's sake. I'd rather they say they don't support networking. I passed around flash drives all week because I knew that if I went this route it was going to be a shit show.

It's a shit show.

Ice Cream Jonsey

AnyDesk let me copy a folder on the XP computer and paste it on this one... I believe it's using the network and not the internet. Anydesk is a lifesaver.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So Windows wouldn't let you do it natively? That aint right. The homegroup thing in Win7 is kinda flukey at best but you can actually get it to work sometimes. Never tried it with different versions of Windows. I remember the old Filemanager (which still resides in the windows folder) and a serial cable solution. That was considered a good way to move files via wire.

THE
AT THE TIME
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

Technically this isn't a programming issue, but I'm putting it here anyway.

Last year, I was notified that the usenet provider I use was having a sale. They were offering a year of service plus VPN access for $59/year. I have been paying $99/year since 2005. When I contacted them about renewing at the lower price, they said that offer was only for new customers. I really want to repeat the fact that new customers get rewarded with a $59/year price, while loyal customers who have been with them for 14 years get the $99/year price. Begrudgingly, I renewed.

I have spent the past year pissed off about it. I got so pissed that I removed my credit card and PayPal information from my account so that it wouldn't auto renew. And then I waited.

Last week I received two emails. The first was another offer for $59/year for new customers. The second said, "we're sorry, we need to charge you $99/year." I contacted tech support and told them I wanted the $59/year price. They said that was for new customers only. I told them that I was going to cancel and start up a new account at the new price. He said that wasn't allowed. My last response was, "are you really willing to lose a 15-year customer over this?" I was then notified that they would change my plan and renew me at the $59/year price. I agreed, and re-entered my billing information.

This morning I got charged for $99.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Chargeback time.

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:58 pm So Windows wouldn't let you do it natively? That aint right. The homegroup thing in Win7 is kinda flukey at best but you can actually get it to work sometimes. Never tried it with different versions of Windows. I remember the old Filemanager (which still resides in the windows folder) and a serial cable solution. That was considered a good way to move files via wire.
Right - looks like the XP machine and 7 will talk to each other, but not the CP and 10 machine. (They can see each other in the network map, but I get some bullshit error trying to connect when I double-click.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:37 pm I told them that I was going to cancel and start up a new account at the new price. He said that wasn't allowed. My last response was, "are you really willing to lose a 15-year customer over this?" I was then notified that they would change my plan and renew me at the $59/year price. I agreed, and re-entered my billing information.

This morning I got charged for $99.
Yeah, that's gonna be a bridge burned I would suspect! I do not get the stubbornness about giving old customers like that if they ask. Good grief, clearly it is worth their while for the intro price. They have to sign two new people now for each one that drops.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Flack, I would drop them faster than AOL, those cheese-eating spatchcocks!

Just goes to show that they don't really care and they'll say anything to get you off the phone.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

All I want to do is move photos from my Android phone to my Linux pc. Actually, I want to move them to my windows laptop where I installed Photoshop 7 so's I can edit them. This should be simple but the process is fighting me at every step. I blame technology in general

Flack

Post by Flack »

New reply for the ticket #XXXXXXXXXX

Hello again,

The account has been set to the requested promotional rate and a refund for $35.52 has been issued. No further action is required, and you'll see this reflected within the next few business days.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to reply and we will be happy to help.

Regards,
Technical Support

Ice Cream Jonsey

Okay, but we still want blood, Flack.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I downloaded the old game Bloodnet on usenet last night. That's close.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:33 pm Okay, but we still want blood, Flack.

"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Your IP 174.224.136.105 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=174.224.136.105.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Can you give me some context with that one?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Sorry, I was in the car trying to type on a bumpy road ( not driving).

I might have jumped on some random wifi without knowing it. This is the error I got when I tried to respond to a different post. I quickly copied the warning and pasted it here, and of course that worked ok.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ok. Spamhaus is notoriously difficult to deal with. I had no idea that phpBB somehow looked up IPs with them? I ........ Don't want them doing that for registered users

Ice Cream Jonsey

I confused Spamhaus with SPEWS, so please ignore my post.