Solutioning

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Solutioning

Post by pinback »

Ostensibly professional adults sit around on Zoom and Teams meetings and freely use the word "solutioning", and this is considered acceptable.

When did this happen? Why was it allowed to happen? Using nouns as verbs is a (horrible, unacceptable) marketing technique, it should not be embraced by actual, living and breathing humans with an IQ larger than their thumbnail.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Re: Solutioning

Post by Casual Observer »

It used to be brainstorming. Thank god ill never be forced into a video zoom again.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I am worried I used this. I have used "efforting" in a business setting.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:21 pm I am worried I used this. I have used "efforting" in a business setting.
I don't remember you saying it. I had never heard it before our previous gig, where I heard it every week, and I thought they were kidding. Now I hear it several times a day.

There is no hope.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:21 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:21 pm I am worried I used this. I have used "efforting" in a business setting.
There is no hope.
Oh, but there is! https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... rrect-word
I presume you mean "solution" in the sense of finding a way to overcome a problem. In that case, "solution" is the noun form of "solve". There's no need to take a noun derived from a verb and then derive yet another verb from that noun. You say "We are working on solving the problem", NOT "We are working on solutioning the problem."

If by "solution" you mean a solid mixed into a liquid, then the verb is "dissolve". Again, no need to invent a new word.

If there's some reason why you need to distinguish some method or process of finding solutions, or some specific approach to finding solutions, from simply solving problems, I suppose it's plausible to invent a new word.
It's just flat out improper English. A few have joked about my verbal English skills (despite speaking it as my first language) which makes this aggravate me even more. The same kind of people will give you total hell about letting a "bro", "dude" or whatever slip, while they just totally make shit up. It's sort of like that conversation with Ali G and Noam Chomsky; Sure, you can make a new word. You can even make your own language.. but it won't MEAN ANYTHING.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

All hope is abandoned!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:57 am... freely use the word "solutioning", and this is considered acceptable.... Using nouns as verbs is a (horrible, unacceptable) marketing technique, it should not be embraced by actual, living and breathing humans with an IQ larger than their thumbnail.
I'd prefer "with an IQ higher than room temperature."

How about "clitorising" as a euphemism for cunnilingus?
And how about "penising" as a euphemism for, aw, you know?

This is reminiscent of 'newspeak' from George Orwell's 1984. Remove words from the language to make thought - especially unapproved thought - difficult or impossible to have. Get rid of great and greater. Replace with plus good, and double-plus good. Get rid of bad, worse, and worst. Replace with ungood, minus ungood, and double-minus ungood. Or, to comment on it, as Supervisor 246 does in my book Instrument of God, call really bad things "double-plus ungood."
Last edited by Tdarcos on Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

I think what people are forgetting is that wordsmiths gotta wordsmith. They just can't help it!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

bryanb wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:26 pm They just can't help it!
"Right, wrong, they just can't stop it."
- The Spinners, Games People Play
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

I frequently use "peopling" but it helps to emphasize the lack of social skills.
"I don't feel like peopling today"

Though apparently I need to NOT do that, as it actually means "to supply with inhabitants"

peopling. 2021. In Merriam-Webster.com.

Retrieved November, 82021, from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peopling

And now it returns to Jonsey's post about the egg machine in the other thread....
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Don't feel left out - they let you stick anything in there.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she said she heard the word "solutioning" multiple times in a meeting today. She said her boss got onto everyone today and said "we're managing in this meeting, not solutioning."
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

I sense that everyone is afraid that they might have missed out on something they were supposed to know and if they speak up and say "the word is SOLVING, you stupid illiterate douchefucks!" that they'll show themselves as having fallen behind.

But no, somebody said "solutioning" once, and everyone else just looked around nervously and nodded, and now there's no way out.

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

pinback wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:34 pm I sense that everyone is afraid that they might have missed out on something they were supposed to know and if they speak up and say "the word is SOLVING, you stupid illiterate douchefucks!" that they'll show themselves as having fallen behind.

But no, somebody said "solutioning" once, and everyone else just looked around nervously and nodded, and now there's no way out.
So you're saying it went down like an episode of Pitch Meeting?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ch+meeting
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!