Hard drive imaging

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hard drive imaging

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I originally installed Windows 10 on a shitty hard drive. Slow as fuck.

Today I am at minute number 28 waiting for this piece of shit Windows 10 computer to start. It is now trying to check my disk for errors on boot up and it might take an hour! This is not the first time I have lost most ofa precious weekend day to this shit.

I hate Microsoft for letting this be possible, but I can't do anythuibg about that. Is there a program that will let me image my C: and copy that to a new HD and then boot off that that you guys recommend>
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Hard drive imaging

I found some lists of programs that say they will do images. I'll try 'em out and see if anything is workable.

I probably should just bite the bullet and install Windows 10 fresh on a new HD though.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Nothing worked in terms of recovering my W10 machine, by the way. I am doing the thing where you reinstall Windows from the Cloud. Unbelievable that they are OK with a customer's computer just not fucking booting at random.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

My mini peanut-butter sandwich pc came with W10. I deleted it for two years and, on a whim, put it back in. This lasted maybe 3 months and got flushed out again. Now running Zorin Linux and sleeping easier at night

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, a computer at work pulled this shit. Right now I'm just reinstalling W10 from DVD. I can't express.my rage at how slow all this is and how much I hate Microsoft's garbage. But there's no alternative.

I lost a weekend day because of Ubuntu last year and had to do a complete reinstall. And Mac programs last 2 years before not working.

There is no good consumer OS right now. There is no OS where you won't randomly find your OS doesn't work.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Just... stay on Win7? Worked for me.

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Happiness Engine wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:27 pm Just... stay on Win7? Worked for me.
They are making games you need Win 10 now for.

It's true that Win10 has been a horrible experience.

The only tweets I have seen about Windows 11's beta is that a friend tried it out and his internet was much, much slower. That does not surprise me, of course they figured out a way to screw that up!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I have had nothing but good experiences with Windows 10, and have no idea what you people are on about. For work, I remote into my Macbook ten feet away because the Windows experience is so vastly superior.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:05 pm I have had nothing but good experiences with Windows 10, and have no idea what you people are on about. For work, I remote into my Macbook ten feet away because the Windows experience is so vastly superior.
Well, I'll be curious if having the OS on a SSD improves things at all. It used to take forever for my computer to start. And I thought I was just worth less than others. But I am not. I am not!!!! This computer on a SSD boots very quickly now. So maybe that was it all along.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:18 pm
pinback wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:05 pm I have had nothing but good experiences with Windows 10, and have no idea what you people are on about. For work, I remote into my Macbook ten feet away because the Windows experience is so vastly superior.
Well, I'll be curious if having the OS on a SSD improves things at all. It used to take forever for my computer to start. And I thought I was just worth less than others. But I am not. I am not!!!! This computer on a SSD boots very quickly now. So maybe that was it all along.
Yes that does make a huge difference. I noticed an immediate difference putting my OS on an internal SSD. Basically the only stuff on my C drive is Windows 10, M$ Flight Simulator, and Cyberpunk 2077. Everything else I throw on a magnetic drive. I have not had any probs with this setup ever since I used the migration to win10 tool from Win7, but the only time I turn on my Windows machine is to play a game or watch streaming services 99% of the time.

The Seagate SSD I got actually came with a link to an imaging tool to pull the existing data from C, store it on D, then allow me to restore that image from D. Very easy to use but I don’t recall the name!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:51 pm Yes that does make a huge difference. I noticed an immediate difference putting my OS on an internal SSD. Basically the only stuff on my C drive is Windows 10, M$ Flight Simulator, and Cyberpunk 2077. Everything else I throw on a magnetic drive. I have not had any probs with this setup ever since I used the migration to win10 tool from Win7, but the only time I turn on my Windows machine is to play a game or watch streaming services 99% of the time.

The Seagate SSD I got actually came with a link to an imaging tool to pull the existing data from C, store it on D, then allow me to restore that image from D. Very easy to use but I don’t recall the name!
The more I think about it, the more I think this is exactly what it was. Things are running so smoothly now. I am not even going to screw with VM pagefiles. Whatever it is right now is fine.