Biohazard / Resident Evil 8

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Biohazard / Resident Evil 8

Post by Jizaboz »

This game kind of snuck up on me. The 60 minute limited demo (can I get a what-what-what the fuck is this horseshit?) 2 days still sold me. I'm like a crack addict to this series. 5 and 6 sucked and only real RE players understand that. I played the demo a while and was like eh.. well this environment isn't as gritty as RE7 but I saw teasers of this nearly 10 ft tall vampire chick so I bought it despite not being able to see her much in the demo. That changes quickly in the full version.

I know this has turned into a meme of sorts but wow. This woman is the hottest female I have ever seen in a video game. No stupid illogical outfit required or bot nudity of Halley. She's just right up my alley. Probably going to have nightmares about her. Hoping for it anyway haha. I gather she is going to sprout Freddy Kruger blades from her hands later in the game and make my life more uneasy. Looking forward to it!

"8 ways till Sunday", dudes.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Re: Biohazard / Resident Evil 8

Post by RealNC »

I found the demo awful. The first thing that stood out is the very bad mouse control. Wanted to stop right there, but I played on only to find the rest of the game is awful as well. The "puzzles" are for infants and the characters do and say stupid things.

It doesn't look like the full game is any better:

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 am I found the demo awful. The first thing that stood out is the very bad mouse control. Wanted to stop right there, but I played on only to find the rest of the game is awful as well. The "puzzles" are for infants and the characters do and say stupid things.

It doesn't look like the full game is any better:

Playing RE with a mouse is almost like playing Dark Souls with a mouse. You could try but most people don’t. The characters have said stupid things since RE1. If you don’t like bad horror movies, this game is not for you.

Also lol at that video. As if I need another fucking Brit whining to me about something else he hates lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Jizaboz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 am Playing RE with a mouse is almost like playing Dark Souls with a mouse. You could try but most people don’t.
The only thing worse than playing a first person shooter with bad mouse control is playing a first person shooter without a mouse.

Like, seriously.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:01 am
Jizaboz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 am Playing RE with a mouse is almost like playing Dark Souls with a mouse. You could try but most people don’t.
The only thing worse than playing a first person shooter with bad mouse control is playing a first person shooter without a mouse.

Like, seriously.
Steam controller, bro. But yeah man not sure if you played RE7 but the aiming in that one was shit as well. Almost like on purpose to make you die more lol.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Jizaboz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:13 am This game kind of snuck up on me. The 60 minute limited demo (can I get a what-what-what the fuck is this horseshit?) 2 days still sold me. I'm like a crack addict to this series. 5 and 6 sucked and only real RE players understand that. I played the demo a while and was like eh.. well this environment isn't as gritty as RE7 but I saw teasers of this nearly 10 ft tall vampire chick so I bought it despite not being able to see her much in the demo. That changes quickly in the full version.
I end up buying ever RE game and I am sure I will buy this one. I did spend a bunch of time with RE7. It's great, but part of me wishes these were 3 hour games that I could see the end of. I don't know that I've got it in me for some of these 20-40 hour games any more.

What did you not like about 5 and 6? I have not played either so I am curious as to your takes on them!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:34 am
Jizaboz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:13 am This game kind of snuck up on me. The 60 minute limited demo (can I get a what-what-what the fuck is this horseshit?) 2 days still sold me. I'm like a crack addict to this series. 5 and 6 sucked and only real RE players understand that. I played the demo a while and was like eh.. well this environment isn't as gritty as RE7 but I saw teasers of this nearly 10 ft tall vampire chick so I bought it despite not being able to see her much in the demo. That changes quickly in the full version.
I end up buying ever RE game and I am sure I will buy this one. I did spend a bunch of time with RE7. It's great, but part of me wishes these were 3 hour games that I could see the end of. I don't know that I've got it in me for some of these 20-40 hour games any more.

What did you not like about 5 and 6? I have not played either so I am curious as to your takes on them!

I actually just realized I never played 6! It must have had such bad reviews that I just did not bother. My bad on that. But 5 was really bad. So in 4, the camera angle changed which felt a bit odd but I rolled with it. (I liked the old fixed camera with tank controls) Never finished that one but I did enjoy it on Gamecube. Then comes part 5 which I played on PC and just did not feel like a Resident Evil game at all. It felt like a Rambo game or something. The atmosphere wasn't even that creepy.. you spend most of the time outside in broad daylight. Eventually it seemed to come down to getting good at shooting and just focusing on getting tons of ammo.. and getting the skimpiest outfit for the female character. Just got bored with it.

Speaking of which.. RealNC you got me. I did not purchase 8 because I enjoyed the demo. I purchased it for the vampire lady lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

The guy in the video is trying very hard to let us know how much he disliked the game, and sure, for the $60 or $70 they want on Steam for it, that's a crazy number, but it does not seem THAT bad, he is being a little bit of a tryhard.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Rafiki over on Caltrops is loving it: https://www.caltrops.com/pointy.php?act ... pid=205729

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Nice!

I disagree about RE4 being the best one but it is nice to have the "shopkeeper" mechanic from 4 in this one. I just can't get enough of giant vampire lady!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I was going to get this, but they are only selling it as a "bundle" with something called "Re:Verse" on Steam for sixty bucks. Christ, I was all ready to pay 50 and now they pull this. It is horrible! Survival horrible!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Eff it, I got it through Fanatical.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Does anyone else think this was supposed to be $20 DLC for RE7 but then they said "fuck it" and decided to sell it as a new, full priced game even though it's less than 10 hours long because people would still buy it?

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:42 am Does anyone else think this was supposed to be $20 DLC for RE7 but then they said "fuck it" and decided to sell it as a new, full priced game even though it's less than 10 hours long because people would still buy it?
No and the fact that it is less than 10 hours long is a bonus to me, not a negative. Now I feel better about paying whatever they were asking, I might actually see the end!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hmm I'm like 9 hours in and feel nowhere near the end
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Well, it's very scripty and cut-sceney, but for what it is, it's a good game so far. I am at the hour mark. It took 50 years but games - at least this one - are finally "almost acceptable" when it comes to autosaving.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RealNC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 am I found the demo awful... It doesn't look like the full game is any better
Translation: "I would rather eat shit off a plate at Walmart than play this game."
(Nikos: In your case, substitute 'Elephant' or 'Vassilopoulos' for 'Walmart'.)
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:50 am
RealNC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 am I found the demo awful... It doesn't look like the full game is any better
Translation: "I would rather eat shit off a plate at Walmart than play this game."
(Nikos: In your case, substitute 'Elephant' or 'Vassilopoulos' for 'Walmart'.)
RE8 is a very easy game to dislike, I can totally get how RealNC didn't see the appeal and how the British guy did not like it.

An hour in there is a spot where your mission is to "survive a zombie attack." The game, much like RE7, gives you almost no ammo. On easy! Or casual.

And I'm like... ok, I can shoot the never-ending stream of zombies. And use up all my ammo. But if it's inevitable .... or say.... scripted that they are going to overwhelm me, I'd rather save my ammo, right?

In RE7 I am actually completely out of ammo on easy, having just killed the mother of the Bakers. The game does not give a shit and it's so different than RE4 which I don't have a single memory of being unable to shoot things.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I really dislike the trap that was the spikes coming down from the ceiling. It is a bullshit thing to do in a video game where there is crouch but not "lay down."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:06 pm I really dislike the trap that was the spikes coming down from the ceiling. It is a bullshit thing to do in a video game where there is crouch but not "lay down."
Huh I don’t even recall that part. I must have just got lucky!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻