0 Day Clickless NFTS Exploit **HOT**

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

0 Day Clickless NFTS Exploit **HOT**

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This is going to negatively affect my experience downloading MiSTer ROMs.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Re: 0 Day Clickless NTS Exploit **HOT**

Post by AArdvark »

Aren' hackers great? It's another example of all the eggs in one basket. There's a reason why the IT guy at work (the real IT guy, not Colvin) backes up everything on a Linux server

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ha nice. I vaguely recall something about this on a "hacker news" site I check frequently.

So, the next time a relative you hate should just fuck off bothers you for tech support.. tell em open a command prompt and enter:

EDIT: Jiz, I removed the exploit text you posted because it's causing anti-virus software to block the site.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

There has been a long history of bugs in DOS/Windows, most of which are the result of maintaining 40+ years of backwards compatibility. For example, there are a few reserved words that you can't use as a file or folder name (I think "AUX" is one), because it was a hidden/reserved file used in MS-DOS 1.0. I think you could crash a Windows 95 machine by either creating C:\AUX\AUX or simply typing the command. It's pretty amazing to me that you can insert a floppy disk from 40 years ago into your machine, type DIR, and have it still work. Frankly, I'm surprised there aren't more bugs.

Apparently the $i30 variable is where directory information is held, and accessing it sends Windows 10 into a tailspin as it tries to fix it. I haven't tried it yet (might do it next week on a test machine at work) but apparently it sends the machine into a never-ending series of chkdsk scans that will eventually destroy all the data on the drive. The worst part about this entire thing is that you don't need admin privileges to run the command.

In the case of the old Windows 95 issue, users had to wait until Microsoft released a service pack to fix it. In the case of Windows 10, Microsoft will slide a patch into their monthly updates (probably sooner) and magically fix billions of computers overnight. Ain't technology grand?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Flack wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:56 am In the case of the old Windows 95 issue, users had to wait until Microsoft released a service pack to fix it. In the case of Windows 10, Microsoft will slide a patch into their monthly updates (probably sooner) and magically fix billions of computers overnight.
And brick another billion due to some other problem the patch introduces.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

And this is an entirely legitimate update that I would reset my PC for. I wish Microsoft could send an alert and basically present the info that Flack did. It's well written, clear and gives context.

But they don't do that.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:56 am There has been a long history of bugs in DOS/Windows, most of which are the result of maintaining 40+ years of backwards compatibility. For example, there are a few reserved words that you can't use as a file or folder name (I think "AUX" is one), because it was a hidden/reserved file used in MS-DOS 1.0. I think you could crash a Windows 95 machine by either creating C:\AUX\AUX or simply typing the command. It's pretty amazing to me that you can insert a floppy disk from 40 years ago into your machine, type DIR, and have it still work. Frankly, I'm surprised there aren't more bugs.

Apparently the $i30 variable is where directory information is held, and accessing it sends Windows 10 into a tailspin as it tries to fix it. I haven't tried it yet (might do it next week on a test machine at work) but apparently it sends the machine into a never-ending series of chkdsk scans that will eventually destroy all the data on the drive. The worst part about this entire thing is that you don't need admin privileges to run the command.

In the case of the old Windows 95 issue, users had to wait until Microsoft released a service pack to fix it. In the case of Windows 10, Microsoft will slide a patch into their monthly updates (probably sooner) and magically fix billions of computers overnight. Ain't technology grand?
I would post a Youtube video about this more in detail and it is a lot less scary than most of the news stories I've read.. but I won't post it because there are people in the comments saying that Avast blocked the youtube link lol.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻