Coronavirus Adventures

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Coronavirus Adventures

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I also enjoy Corn Flakes.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

uruzrune wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:50 am Maybe the Conservative take on Covid is so that the maximum amount of people die so that the Second Coming happens and the remaining "devoted" are Raptured.
This is one of the reasons why I worry about the actions of the deeply religious. Since "Jesus is coming soon," there is no need to prepare for the future, and it doesn't matter how badly we fuck up this planet, Jesus is going to come and burn it up anyway to replace it with a brand new one, so who cares what we do?

Of course, people have been predicting the Second Coming since Jesus was allegedly sealed in a tomb, and all of the predictions have been equally correct. (All of them being 100% wrong is "equally correct" at 0%.)

Oh man, you can get some amazing bargains if you can find some nutcase who falls for some preacher like a Harold Camping, who predicts a date certain for the Rapture or Second Coming, the person believes it, and sells their belongings for quick cash to either advertise the prediction to get others to repent or accept Jesus' salvation, or just to prepare, as "it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine," only they discover they don't feel fine when the predicted end of the world happens, I mean occurs, and doesn't, and they're left broke and homeless, having to prepare for a continued life on a still-existing earth.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I am pretty (unfortunately) distanced from people other than my wife. It occurs to me you kind of have to be around people to catch common colds and the flu. I hate both the common cold and the flu. Now, I could contract something from her, but she is a germaphobe and she rarely gets sick. It didn't completely occur to me that I am unlikely to get non-covid diseases while working from home. Another benefit of working from home?

I miss my friends that I see in real life. They were worth getting sick for.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Last spring, I wrote a blog post in which I said I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who had COVID, and that it was safe to assume that eventually I would know someone who knew someone who had COVID, and that it might get to the point where I knew someone personally who had contracted COVID.

I know so many people now who have had COVID I've lost track.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:55 pm I am pretty (unfortunately) distanced from people other than my wife. It occurs to me you kind of have to be around people to catch common colds and the flu. I hate both the common cold and the flu. Now, I could contract something from her, but she is a germaphobe and she rarely gets sick. It didn't completely occur to me that I am unlikely to get non-covid diseases while working from home. Another benefit of working from home?

I miss my friends that I see in real life. They were worth getting sick for.
This pandemic is the best thing that could ever have happened to me. I've been able to move out of horrid California, I'm starting a new job that is guaranteed to be 100% remote and I've incorporated a B2B lead generation consulting company that I've been thinking about starting for a couple of decades. It's now been at least 3 years since I've had a cold or flu and thanks to double masking I don't expect to get sick in any way over the next year. Except for my face being red and irritated from the damn masks, I don't really see any downside of this. IMHO there are no physical interactions with other people that are worth getting sick for and it's a great excuse to avoid them.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:20 pm This pandemic is the best thing that could ever have happened to me. I've been able to move out of horrid California, I'm starting a new job that is guaranteed to be 100% remote and I've incorporated a B2B lead generation consulting company that I've been thinking about starting for a couple of decades. It's now been at least 3 years since I've had a cold or flu and thanks to double masking I don't expect to get sick in any way over the next year. Except for my face being red and irritated from the damn masks, I don't really see any downside of this. IMHO there are no physical interactions with other people that are worth getting sick for and it's a great excuse to avoid them.
I am not missing going to the office at all. I don't think it's going to be required of me, but this is just much, much better. The commute was pointless. I so, so much rather enjoy being here for my dogs. There are some training things that would be nice in person, but god, we can still do that if it's our choice.

It's my goal to work from home for the rest of my career.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I've been thinking recently about what things will be like in five years.

Lots and lots of businesses have moved to remote/teleworking. As of last March, my campus had 10,000 people every day showing up to work. That number is now close to 1,000, which means 90% of people are doing their jobs full time from home. When vaccines have rolled out and people can return to work... will they? Some businesses are struggling to get by under this new model, while others are doing just fine, and some are thriving with this new model.

That being said, I've seen dozens of local restaurants near my work close down. There's an entire square mile of restaurants that depend on customers from my campus and the airport, both of which have dried up. So even after things lighten up, if people are still working from home, I don't see them going out and dining in for lunch like we used to do all the time. I don't know if some things will ever recover from this.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

So far the only downside to WFH is spending all day long and then all evening with my wife. I don't think any 2 people are supposed to ever spend this much time together. I spent half my career working from home but jesus, I used to be able to fucking leave the house and do stuff.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Double masks lol gtfo CDC. Masks for the non-sick mostly did fuck all, motherfuckers are too stupid and lazy to wash their hands, wear a mask when feeling sick, etc.

Yet people got yelled at walking around outside with no one in a 15 foot radius. Just like walking into Walmart without a mask when the sign sez.. just go somewhere else if you have a problem. People are fucking stupid.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barcode Scanner

Post by Barcode Scanner »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:39 pm I also enjoy Corn Flakes.

Please remove your bags and take your receipt.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

It has now been a year since I had the funk. Many died at the rest home nearby as was to be expected. An old friends grandmother just died a couple weekends ago that I spoke to over the phone. Shit, my own friend and co-worker died.

Supposedly, NC will lax the mask mandate later this month. Just as it felt at the coast in the blazing summer last year, it seems stupid to even go that much longer. If he does not do this then whatever. Today I decided to quit wearing the n-95 masks I’ve recycled since last year. I’m not sick. In Japan you wear a mask if you are sick or in a high-risk environment (Walmart) during a flu or whatever pandemic. I am not in either of these groups.

- I do not think anyone still wearing a mask has questionable intelligence unless they are in their car by themselves or outside without anyone around in a 20 foot radius,

- I do not think at risk people should not be getting a vaccine nor do I look down on them for it.

- I do not think that wearing a mask makes you any less of a man.

- I am not a Republican.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer

I'm double masking still, wife won't allow anything less until we're vaccinated.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Everybody looks like a Bazooka Joe character nowadays

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I will add that that is a great comic and I am still wearing the stupid mask into grocery stores because I am both outnumbered and out-aged there. Gas stations it’s funny because I saw tons of people not wearing one when I was, and now I am seeing tons doing it now that a year has passed.

This whole thing just seems so surreal.. especially when you see “pre COVID” video of fun places with high population density. Depressing, really. My skin doctor dude said it was depressing him just 2 months into it. I find watching less news of any sort on TV and paying less attention to hive minds such as Reddit generally has helped me chill out more.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer

My new, fairly fit boss just admitted he used a loophole with BMI calculations(i.e. doesnt account for extra muscle mass) to get an early vaccination because classified obese. I remarked that though I've lost some weight would probably still count, thanks for the idea.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:27 pm My new, fairly fit boss just admitted he used a loophole with BMI calculations(i.e. doesnt account for extra muscle mass) to get an early vaccination because classified obese.
Doesn’t this contradict the whole “Do your part” brainwash program we’ve had nailed into us constantly for the past year? Like fuck the people that may actually need this, I just want to be “Gud to go!” according to whatever bullshit they are hearing from the media outlets and travel related businesses. People (not any of you!) are fucking stupid.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:44 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:27 pm My new, fairly fit boss just admitted he used a loophole with BMI calculations(i.e. doesnt account for extra muscle mass) to get an early vaccination because classified obese.
Doesn’t this contradict the whole “Do your part” brainwash program we’ve had nailed into us constantly for the past year? Like fuck the people that may actually need this, I just want to be “Gud to go!” according to whatever bullshit they are hearing from the media outlets and travel related businesses. People (not any of you!) are fucking stupid.
I think there's plenty of doses to go around right now. My barber stated that she got one two days ago. In my opinion, barbers should have been at the front of the line. They didn't ask her what her occupation was when she got her shot. I am also aware of people not in risk categories in NY state getting called up and told to go get their shot at certain locations successfully.

The only people that acted like pigs in this were the politicians that tweeted about how the pandemic was an overblown hoax, put their phones down, got their shots while sniveling and crying like cowards and then went right back to tweeting at what a Democratic hoax the pandemic was. (I remember seeing a headline of a story of someone in Florida prioritizing ZIP codes that were wealthier - that person should be locked up - but all in all, the country did a better job -- at least with optics -- when it came to getting shot than we did with testing a year ago.)

Flack

Post by Flack »

I got my second shot this morning. Again we drove to Enid, which is about 75 miles (each way). We could have found a closer place (my work is actually offering them now) but we wanted to go back to Enid to hit some local thrift stores and visit a restaurant we really like. We were in the vaccine center for less than 20 minutes, and that includes the 15 minutes we had to sit after receiving the shot. I asked the woman who gave me my shot where everyone was and she just shook her head. I don't understand why everyone isn't online hitting F5 a hundred times a minute to get vaccinated so we can all get back to something resembling normal, but to each their own.

After hitting a few thrift stores we had brunch at the Farmhouse Fresh Coffee Shop. Today's special was a Slamwich (swiss, pimento, gouda with corned beef) with a side of chicken bacon ranch pasta. For dessert I got a chocolate chip cookie that was like... you know those pre-cut cookie dough squares? It was like a double decker 3x3 grid of those. Yum.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

So no ill effects? My wife has her No.2 in a week

Flack

Post by Flack »

My arm is sore, just like with the first shot, and just like a flu shot. I'm prepared for the worst, but haven't felt anything bad yet. The only side effect I've had so far is feeling sleepy -- then again, I went to bed last night around 1am and got up at 6:30 to drive to go get my shot.