The Caltrops Top 50 Games of the Decade List

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Caltrops Top 50 Games of the Decade List

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Part one: the honorable mentions: https://www.caltrops.com/2019/12/31/the ... -mentions/

There may be a part two to the honorable mentions. We'll see.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: The Caltrops Top 50 Games of the Decade List

Ice Cream Jonsey

39-30 https://www.caltrops.com/2020/01/02/the ... 019-39-30/

It took all my willpower to not use the phrase "It knows what it wants to be" for one of them.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Also, I tested Thaumistry a little and didn't mention it in the right up. I am what's wrong with / a real game jouranlist.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Gettin' a little nervous! There are three games that I think MUST be on the list. One I know is not. One I am 90% sure is not. And the last one I'm 50/50 on.

But then I have to remember, this is CALTROPS top 50, and you know how those guys are.

However, the fact that Retrobooster made it makes up for any other omissions, so I RETRACT MY OBJECTION.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 am Gettin' a little nervous! There are three games that I think MUST be on the list. One I know is not. One I am 90% sure is not. And the last one I'm 50/50 on.
Pumped BMX amirite?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ooo, that's a good one. Can we get a JC BBS Top 50 next?

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 am Gettin' a little nervous! There are three games that I think MUST be on the list. One I know is not. One I am 90% sure is not. And the last one I'm 50/50 on.

But then I have to remember, this is CALTROPS top 50, and you know how those guys are.

However, the fact that Retrobooster made it makes up for any other omissions, so I RETRACT MY OBJECTION.
What I tried to do for a little bit each day was get a list of candidates and then do research on the forum to see if people enjoyed them or not. What I learned is that if you go in searching - at least for game titles - the people who talk most about games from 2015 on are you, me and Mischief Maker. Before 2015 there is more variety in opinion. Which makes sense because the people keeping that site alive for the last three years are you, me and Mischief Maker. (Rafiki as well, he always has good takes.)

50 is an odd number. (Let me explain, Commander.) There are some games that are just undeniable and you look like an a-hole if you don't put it on your list. Like if Tetris or Super Mario Bros. isn't on a "best games ever" list. So those have to be in there. But then you've got the ones that, say, one guy is passionate about. One of the game I loved most for the decade that was was DUCK GAME. I had never played Super Smash Brothers, so the gameplay I attributed 100% to Duck Game. Nobody else anywhere has ever mentioned it. Okay, so that one is out. Or maybe it's in if the list is 100? But I also knew that writing and compiling text and screenshots and links for 50 games would be a sizable project.

(But one I wanted to do, to get something accomplished at the beginning of the new year.)

I have to write up the remaining entries, I was a little ahead of schedule going into yesterday but did not remain ahead and now it's Friday morning.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:23 am
Pumped BMX amirite?
I think it would be fun if those of us here all suggested a game that was not found on any other "top xx" list and submitted that. So it would be the Jolt Country Forum Top Games of the Decade Found on No Other Top Games List. And if someone does find a list where your game is on it, then BOOM! Ya gotta find another game.

If anyone thinks that it would be a fun topic to attempt I'll start the thread. Imagine how much fun it would be to see someone suggest a game and then you get to tell guy, "Try again, fucker!!!"

pinback

Post by pinback »

I like that idea. As a champion of "Mixed"-Steam-reviewed games, I'm sure I could fill that baby out widda quickness.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I nominate Pumped BMX, Hotline Miami 1 and 2, Videokid, and Broforce, mostly because those were the only games released in the last decade that I played. Oh, and Cyrptozookeeper!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Post by Flack »

I haven't heard of half the games on the list and haven't played the other half, but I am greatly enjoying reading it. My kids watch YouTube videos of other people playing games -- I didn't get it until just now, when I was reading your list and enjoying the experience.

I think one potential sign of old age is not being able to remember which Grand Theft Auto was which. I remember shootings some prostitutes and running over some cops, but... eh, could have been GTA4? I don't remember.

Glad to see Pokemon Go make the list. I didn't play it, don't even understand it, but I was the parents who had to pull over my car multiple times when a kid screamed from the backseat that a Buttosaurus was ready to be captured in the 7-11 parking lot.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I actually tried Pokemon Go as well as a friend of mine. While the concept was kind of neat, it just wasn't a "game" to me. I could just as easily stroll around and take pictures of stray animals and the gameplay would basically be the same.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I want to know what these games are when we are all done.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:17 pm
I want to know what these games are when we are all done.
Okay, if you have a sec, please let me know what games you were thinking of up above. Please.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I expressed this on Discord, but ever there it didn't make any sense, because this was a CALTROPS list, not my own dumb opinions. Someone complimented me for making Witness my 2016 GotY, but one off-hand anonymous mention and me sucking it off for the last four years doesn't warrant it being on the list, I understand that. BSG probably coulda gotten on if MM had remembered it sooner, and I had gotten obsessed with it a week earlier. I blame us for that one.

DOOM made it. And Rocket League was definitely the right pick for #1, given its impact on the purple community. And also how great it is.

It is a fine list.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'll do the other honorable mentions in a week and The Witness will be there.

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't let my personal biases interfere with the work. And I missed the anon dude +1 ing it, it's often hard to find positive comments ... well, in general over there, but also hard to find them for games.