So, I bought Windows 7 back in the day

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: So, I bought Windows 7 back in the day

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I got my dad a Windows 10 computer and the process of him trying to sign in with it makes me want to kill every fucking idiot that has ever existed at Microsoft. The people who worked on this one are absolutely the dumbest fucking people in the history of software.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

I mean, at one point they have a screen that says, "You have tried and failed to enter your password too many times. Enter A1B1C1 to continue."

I would pay $1000 to debate the wizard that thought that did anything. ANYTHING.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:21 pmEnter A1B1C1 to continue."
They should have just gone with ZERO ZERO ZERO DESTRUCT ZERO.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm trying to not let the stress get to me. But I can't think of any logic behind it.

Here are some quotes from the web:
On a Windows 10 desktop computer I have the account threshold policy to lockout after 3 invalid sign in attempts. It works however it give you one last chance saying to enter the challenge phrase A1B2C3 to make another attempt. Is it possible to disable the challenge phrase so they don't get another attempt?
How ... how does entering a phrase - that is not unique! - *do* anything? What is the point? I'm flabbergasted. They have really just morphed logon to stupider and stupider pieces, far dumber than I could have ever imagined.

Here is another page with a graphic:

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-mobi ... de-issues/

I mean, I think it's just me. I must be missing something. If you enter the wrong password, it asks you to put in one phrase and then you can try more. The phrase never changes, so it can't protect against automation. This is just ... they just tweeted it out.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

They probably had something else going on after too many failed attempts, but then decided it was too much, or wasn't working correctly. However, they didn't have time to actually remove the whole thing due to a deadline, so they instead went with "enter A1B2C3".

pinback

Post by pinback »

Maybe the thought was it would lock out some scripts trying to HACK IN, but a human sitting there fumble-fingering away could enter the magic code for another shot.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.