ICJ's photography thread

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: ICJ's photography thread

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I'm not 100% happy with either, but I guess the thing is that I'm shooting enough where I have some idea where to start when it comes to settings.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

As it turns out, the full moon comes once a month. I knew that but I never took it literally before. And it was cloudy the two days after I took the previous shot, so I've got big expectations for May.

Things I am trying to research:

Zoo Visits. (The Denver Zoo wants you to pay them $250 per photo if you try to sell a picture of yours. I am not going to do that, so I'm looking at other zoos.)

Baseball. How close can I get if I show up for batting practice, which is early? Can I get a decent shot of a hitter that way? Can I get a decent shot of someone in the on deck circle after the game has begun? I may start with a nephew's little league game next weekend.

Selling a photo, or at least putting one up for sale. I think 500px lets you do this. It would be nice to have sold an image.

Flack

Post by Flack »

The Oklahoma City Zoo is ranked #11 in the country and has no such charges. Bring your walking shoes!

Just down the street is the beautiful Oklahoma Dodgers Stadium. It's minor league, which means you can get up close and personal with your camera. You'll be so close to the batters you may need a macro lens!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ha! Speaking of which, I learned to not bring an 85mm lens to Denver Comic Con. My wife and I grabbed some drinks on a patio near the convention center. I just could not get far enough away to take shots of anyone below the neck, really. Data's costume was great, my photo did not do him justice. Anyway, here is Deadpool, Negan, Data and Doctor Fate.

ImageDP_IMG_5933 by bluejays2017, on Flickr

ImageDCC_IMG_5919 by bluejays2017, on Flickr

ImageDCC_IMG_5929 by bluejays2017, on Flickr

ImageDCC_IMG_5954 by bluejays2017, on Flickr

Ice Cream Jonsey

Had a free pass for Hyperspace, took the obligatory Tron joystick picture.

ImageHS_IMG_6037 by bluejays2017, on Flickr

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Any chance you could take some pictures of sluts the next time you're at a comic con? I think we can all agree here that pictures of sluts would have been better. Thank you.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I was... yeah, that was my reaction, too. I mean, great photos definitely, but... "here, let me go to comicon and photograph a bunch of dudes"?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

What happens now is we start yelling and --

OHHH I'm sorry, I forgot to put a tape in I FORGOT TO PUT A TAPE IN

Ice Cream Jonsey

Also:

1) We didn't go to Comic Con. We sat outside a bar that had a patio where we had the worst nachos I have ever tried in my life. I am already not a huge nacho guy but these were sweet, not savory. What manner of foul sorcery was that?

2) I'm going to let go of the term "sluts" because I realize that if I mention the utter distaste I have for the vernacular you people use you'll go on a LifeQuest (another bad 2600 game?) to make it the most-used word on the forum, BUT the people walking past the place where we were, well, I got the best of the best. There were 20,000 girls dressed as Harley Quinn but you've seen them all. (This is not a gender criticism, there were 30,000 guys in Rick Sanchez costumes.)

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

There were 20,000 Harley Quinns and you took 4 pictures of dudes? How much were you drinking that day?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 amWe didn't go to Comic Con. We sat outside a bar that had a patio where we had the worst nachos I have ever tried in my life. I am already not a huge nacho guy but these were sweet, not savory. What manner of foul sorcery was that?
Last year when we were in town for the wedding, Susan and I sat outside some coffee shop right outside the path to Comic Con while Mason and his buddy did the Segway tour. Unlike your nacho experience, the coffee there was good and the cinnamon rolls were great.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:20 pm There were 20,000 Harley Quinns and you took 4 pictures of dudes? How much were you drinking that day?
Look, I'm telling you. Well, first I am telling you that in the Flickr album there is a picture of a gal who went as the Black Cat. But I am telling you, the Green Arrow and Black Panther costume and whatever else was the best of the best (from the hour and a half we were sitting outside). You also have to make eye contact with someone walking, quickly ask if you can take their picture and then BAM do it. I know you guys only care if someone was showing some flesh, and I understand why you are traitors to your own gender. People walking in costumes down a street has a lot going on. It was a great experience.

Ice Cream Jonsey

We went camping this weekend. I rarely go camping, I am not good at it. On the way up was a forest fire. I could probably process this into something nicer, but I haven't:

ImageIMG_8003 by bluejays2017, on Flickr

And last night as the sun was starting to dip below the mountains I took this of our dog Honey:

ImageIMG_8173 by bluejays2017, on Flickr

Ice Cream Jonsey

One thing I just noticed about the fire at Weston Pass - there is something streaking towards the cloud leaving a trail.

Aliens??

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:04 pm One thing I just noticed about the fire at Weston Pass - there is something streaking towards the cloud leaving a trail.

Aliens??
I'm not saying it's aliens.. but it's aliens.

Or it's an airplane!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

This particular shot is a work in progress. What I am trying to do is effectively create a cyberpunk-style shot in terms of lighting with the Hyperspace "Open" sign. I want part of the dash of my car to be in the photo. A lot of photographers stress telling a story and the story I want to tell with this shot is, "I am about to get out of my futuristic car and go into a decidedly non-futuristic arcade."

Hyperspace is juuuuuuust far enough away where it's not an impulse drive. But I gotta try this again when it is not raining.

ImageHS_IMG_6076 by bluejays2017, on Flickr

pinback

Post by pinback »

What are you talking about, it's perfect.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I want, like, the tach lit up and shit, man!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Gerrit and I having a drink on top of a cocktail arcade game in Atlanta.

ImageG_IMG_0009187 by bluejays2017, on Flickr

Ice Cream Jonsey

Back to the basics

ImageIMG_0146 by bluejays2017, on Flickr