I want to digitize my negatives

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Re: I want to digitize my negatives

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:14 am While digital cameras still keep phasing out old methods, old methods do still have their place. For example, ultraviolet film... To my knowledge there is no digital alternative to shooting pictures with UV film to get exactly the same effect.
Thank you for the reference, I didn't even know there was such a thing as ultraviolet film. A few months ago I had to have an X-ray of my back, so the radiologist brought in a portable X-ray machine, and a thick plate as the target; it goes under me. So, they take the image and it shows up immediately on the display and stored to the machine's memory card. They can even use digital cameras to take X-rays.
Jizaboz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:14 am Long exposure like the traffic lights you brought up as well.
It was the best example I could think of. I got thinking about it,and I remembered those long exposure freeway images.
Jizaboz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:14 am I don't know enough about photography to even know if it can be done on modern digital cameras. My uneducated guess would be "maybe? but I doubt you'd get exactly the same effect."
Which is similar to what I said:
Tdarcos wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:56 am There are probably other effects like this, but they usually have to do with very long or multiple overlaying exposures, which I suspect can't be done digitally, except maybe very expensive cameras, if at all.
As photography improves more effects that used to require a studio and expensive equipment, then moves to portable professional equipment, then to consumer equipment. (This applies to other industries too,)

For example, there are two steps up from HD Video (1080p). The next is 2.7K, which I think is about double the resolution, then 4K which is quadruple. How much is a 4K camera? About a hundred bucks. For a few hundred more, you can buy a phone with an 8K camera. Both Samsung (Android) and iPhone offer phones that shoot video in 8K. Most TV sets aren't even available above 4K.

These cameras (2.7K, 4K, 8K) also take extremely high resolution pictures, in 7-8 digit pixel counts. For most people, the resolution on the inexpensive cameras meet or exceed what you could get on a multi-thousand-dollar SLR only a few years ago (which is why high-end cameras today are DSLR.)
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

The REAL Real Man

Post by The REAL Real Man »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:56 am There are certain photographic effects that only work with film, e.g. photos with very long exposure. There are overview photos of freeways in which the freeway is shown with long streaks of red on the right half, with streaks of white on the left, and perhaps a metallic outline around it. Where the typical image is taken with maybe 40-160 millisecond exposure tine, a photo like that is taken with an exposure time measured in hours.
Far be it from me to say anything nice about digital photography, but you can do that type of thing in digital -- here's one I shot in London a couple o' years back:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aarongold ... 441500748/

Of course, film was great for this kind of thing. Here are a couple I did the ol' fashioned way (sorry for the links, can't figure out how to attach photos):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aarongold ... 079770811/

And a favorite of mine -- this was on Velvia 50 ASA slide film, one-second exposure with flash:

TRM

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Wow RRM, really dig the first one from London. You know the one with time lapse traffic lights.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

The REAL Real Man

Thx, took a few tries to get that right and I was hoping it'd happen with a red bus, but the best one was blue. Oh well.

I really do prefer film for the process, and I like the look of the pics (which, for some people, is the best reason to use film). Digital, to me, is more focused on the end product. Happily it's built on a film paradigm, so you can use a lot of the film techniques in digital. Thinking with a film mindset works for digital, but if you think with a digital mindset, it can do a lot more. I understand this mindset but don't use it much. Basically, the digital sensor can capture a lot more information (dark and light) than film can, and as you can work with each pic individually (as with sheet film) you can do a lot (with roll film you can't customize the development for each frame).

Sadly, people being what they are, they use this technology to turn the color saturation WAY up and make their photos look cartoonish and fake and stupid.

Another great idea ruined by humanity. Sigh.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

The REAL Real Man wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:28 am Another great idea ruined by humanity. Sigh.
"This job [convenience store clerk] would be great if we didn't have to deal with these fucking customers."
- Randall Greaves, Clerks
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:56 am There are certain photographic effects that only work with film, e.g. photos with very long exposure.
You can set the shutter speed for long periods of time on digital cameras. Unless I am missing something that you are saying. Am I missing something?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This was a Halloween party at my house in 1986. I remember using a tripod and taking a 1 second exposure as it was reasonably dark

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:56 am There are certain photographic effects that only work with film, e.g. photos with very long exposure. There are overview photos of freeways in which the freeway is shown with long streaks of red on the right half, with streaks of white on the left, and perhaps a metallic outline around it.
Good news! One of the default settings on the GoPro 11 is "taillight mode." It works both in photo and video modes.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

But I heard that effect was only able to work on film. I dont understand. How can that be?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:10 pm But I heard that effect was only able to work on film. I dont understand. How can that be?
Well, that was done with a GoPro. I do not consie tag a real camera for serious use. I'll that that camera seriousy when the manufacturer makes one that wi recrd lonver than mi=utes before shutting down and locking up. or

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:10 pm But I heard that effect was only able to work on film. I dont understand. How can that be?
Well, that was done with a GoPro. I do not conside tag a real camera for serious use. I'll that that camera seriousy when the manufacturer makes one that will record longer than 2 minutes before shutting down and locking up. Or overheating excesively and also shutting down. GoPro needs to fix the stability issues in the software and inadequate processor in tbe device before it can be takeb seriously.

Every feature GoPro offers is aailable in other wateproof sport cameras, with better stability, often with better features, and lower cost.
- - - -
Sent from a mobile phone.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I'm a dslr noob, I'll admit it. Did you know when you disable the wi-fi on the camera the usb cable starts working? Now I know.

So the setup is the camera with a macro lens pointing at the light board. I'm remote viewing the result on the pc screen. I'm propping everything up with books and stuff to keep it steady. As soon as the (delayed) tripod arrives I can get the light board velcroed to the wall and start photographing negatives in bulk. I've pretty much got the camera settings dialed in.

A dog we once had. Much sharper image when not holding the camera

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Re: my mom had bad taste in kitchen flooring, what can I say

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The REAL Real Man

noice

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Thanks, the process is working pretty smoothly now.

And thanks to Flack for the latest YDKF episode, which will make me back up all the photos to at least three separate places

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This is a line of black powder being lit. It was in my basement in total darkness with the camera shutter open.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This is a decorative barrel in the yard that I was throwing away so I painted it first

We were playing a lot of Donkey Kong Country on the SNES at the time

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The ice storm of '92

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »