General Mathematics

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

raecoffey

Re: General Mathematics

Post by raecoffey »

raecoffey wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:41 pm I had an 8th grade education when i had Noel, I dropped out in 9th grade. I went back to school when she went to kindergarten at the age of 27. When I tested at MCC I was in math 098 I worked my way up, through college algebra. I figured I'd take pre-calc and trig when I got to UofR. Ther lowest math course, camc 1. I had to teach myself trig while learning calculus!
I really should have put commas in the kindergarten sentence lol. I made it sound like Noel attended kindergarten at the age of 27! Quite the opposite, during the first week of kindergarten she tested (for reading) in the 12th grade level with 7th grade comprehension. So they asked me if they could skip her 2 grades, I said no, only 1. She was brilliant! She was in the reach program for gifted children, she was the school's newspaper 📰 editor, she was a math tutor, she wanted to be a veterinarian when she grew up. She even beat out the 6th graders in the spelling bee when she was in the 2nd grade (remember she skipped 1) so now they call it the "Noel Parcells Memorial Spelling Bee." And for good reason!
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

raecoffey wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:45 pm [...t did you know that their bare sizez of infinity ♾️ that are the same? One class is alef(sub(knot)) that has more than one set of numbers in it. Also, did you know that you can have fixed point infinities? For example: a primitive tribe who can only count to 10. Their months last an infinite amount of days, but they end.
The one I heard of was the tribe whose entire arithmetic set consisted of the numbers "One, two, many."

Two of the most important things - and both probably invented by Arab/Muslim mathematicians during the dark ages of Europe - that allowed the creation of science and technology, were (1) the development of standardized numbers 1-9; and (2) the invention of the zero, and all that it would provide to humanity.

After all, can you imagine writing that the speed of light is (with capital letters meaning multiply that number by 100,000) ⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯCCLXXXIIⅽⅽⅽⅼⅹⅹⅹⅱ miles per second (186 282.397)?

I just realized you lose the fraction. Okay, make that three of the most important things that allowed the creation of science and technology, were (1) the development of standardized numbers 1-9; (2) the invention of the zero, and all that it would provide to humanity; (3) the decimal point.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:26 am
raecoffey wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:45 pm [...t did you know that their bare sizez of infinity ♾️ that are the same? One class is alef(sub(knot)) that has more than one set of numbers in it. Also, did you know that you can have fixed point infinities? For example: a primitive tribe who can only count to 10. Their months last an infinite amount of days, but they end.
The one I heard of was the tribe whose entire arithmetic set consisted of the numbers "One, two, many."

Two of the most important things - and both probably invented by Arab/Muslim mathematicians during the dark ages of Europe - that allowed the creation of science and technology, were (1) the development of standardized numbers 1-9; and (2) the invention of the zero, and all that it would provide to humanity.

After all, can you imagine writing that the speed of light is (with capital letters meaning multiply that number by 100,000) ⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯⅯCCLXXXIIⅽⅽⅽⅼⅹⅹⅹⅱ miles per second (186 282.397)?

I just realized you lose the fraction. Okay, make that three of the most important things that allowed the creation of science and technology, were (1) the development of standardized numbers 1-9; (2) the invention of the zero, and all that it would provide to humanity; (3) the decimal point.
Yes, I much prefer, if I remember correctly
300,000 m/s^2
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

raecoffey wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:05 am
Tdarcos wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:26 am

First, before anyone else says anything, yeah, yeah, I know, it's all wrong when I both recognized and did not recognize the period in the speed of light is not a comma. It's 186 thousand mi/sec., not 186 million.
raecoffey wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:05 am Yes, I much prefer, if I remember correctly
300,000 m/s^2
First, let me admit any math much above counting on my fingers I turn to the computer to do, I want to check the figures. Someone has given a bid for the speed of light, and they say, "The speed of light in vacuum is 3×10^8 m/s." This number is 300,000,000, which is close to the exact number 299,792,458. While 300^2 is 90,000 or close to 1/3 of the correct amount, Sqrt(300000) or √300000 is 547.722557505, which we check either by multiplying by itself or raising to ^2. 547.722557505x547.722557505 or 547.722557505^2 are both exactly 300,000. 547^2 is 299209, which is probably close enough for talking purposes.

But that 547 (547^2) seems so boring and forgettable. I think the most interesting is the speed of light in furlongs per fortnight. A fortnight is 2 weeks (or a video game, take your pick!) but what is a furlong? 1/8 of a mile, 660.001 ft, 220 yards, or 201.168 meters. The number is 1.8026175 × 10^12 furlongs per fortnight.

I have a couple picture I did once to indicate the "speed limit"
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jesus, I can't catch a break, can I? I read your number as 300 m/s^2, when you said you thought it was 300,000 m/s^2. So your error is adding the ^2 at the end, the speed is essentially 300,000 m/s.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:12 am Jesus, I can't catch a break, can I? I read your number as 300 m/s^2, when you said you thought it was 300,000 m/s^2. So your error is adding the ^2 at the end, the speed is essentially 300,000 m/s.
Oh ok. Yeah, I just looked it up, you are correct for leaving it out. I was just going by a decades old memory. Lol.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Somebody get the foot out of my mouth please! I can't stop shoving it in! You said 300,000 m/s and the correct answer is about 1000 times that, or 300,000,000. I was mixing 300,000 and 300,000,000 in the wrong contexts.

300,000 m/s^2 is 90,000,000,000 or about 30 light seconds.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

So the easy number to remember is 300,000meters per sec^2/30.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

And the square root of 300,000,000 is 17320.5080757
- J.R.R. Tolkien

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

The last class i had to use that value for it for was quantum 2 in undergrad physics. As long as you memorized all of the equations for an exam and tried to out think the professor on those equations applications, you had a good chance. And it was usually fun.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I'm not sure who said it, but a quote I remember is, "Anyone who says they understand quantum mechanics, doesn't understand quantum mechanics."
- J.R.R. Tolkien

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Yes, I've heard that one and it is apt!
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I bet it was Richard Feynman (no google)

Unrelated side topic...

My next pet is going to be called either Planck or Finecat

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Oh I remember Plancks constant. 6.6.... something x 10^something and we use h as it's variable. The big equation is:

E=hf

Where
E is energy
h is Plancks constant (obviously )
f is frequency
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Er.... I just wanted to be able to walk the Planck.

THE
DAD JOKE
AARDVARK

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

I tried to find out how many Plancks went into a plank then I found out that a Planck is a unit of measurement that measures how long it takes light to traverse a certain distance. And then I got into reading about Planck-lengths and apparently something small, like an atom or smaller, is millions or larger that distance so the question "how many Plancks in a plank" become "how many Planck-lengths in a plank," and the answer is many!
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

If any of you guys still need a G.E.D. I found that all you really need to know to clinch the math part is knowing "Is over Of equals X over 100"
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

On the subject of the speed of light, chip manufacturers are having a big problem dealing with tiny spaces. With the development of 9 nanometer and now 5nm transistor sizes, in order to get the best possible performance, the transistors are pcked very tightly, only a few molecules wide, and the gaps between circuit wires are either at or below the "arc flash boundary" limit, or, the minimum distance two circuits must be to prevent an electrc current from jumping from one circuit wire to another.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

raecoffey wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:13 pmOh I remember Plancks constant. 6.6.... something x 10^something
6.62607015 × 10-³⁴ m² / s
raecoffey wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:13 pmand we use h as it's variable. The big equation is:

E=hf

Where
E is energy
h is Plancks constant (obviously )
f is frequency
- J.R.R. Tolkien

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Jizaboz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:23 am If any of you guys still need a G.E.D. I found that all you really need to know to clinch the math part is knowing "Is over Of equals X over 100"
I got my G.E.D in jail in 1999. I got the best score among the inmates and I had court on the second day so I had to take a two day test in one day.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st