My Christmas - New Year's GAMING QUEUE

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

My Christmas - New Year's GAMING QUEUE

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I am playing Nox Archaist for pleasure and if I spent the entire week on it, that is fine.
I am working on Cyberganked to get as many features like weapons and class perks finished.

Here we go - as soon as a game because boring it's out and I switch to the next one. No procrastination!

Borrowed Time & finish the review for RFTK
Star Command: Galaxies - DONE!
Ghostrunner - DONE!
Phoenix Point
ATOM RPG - DONE!
Detroit: Become Human
The Witcher 3
Overboard!
Atari 2600 Chess
Missile Command: Recharged
Defender (if not too cold in the garage) on the easiest level It has been too cold out.
Wasteland 3
Fallout - ONGOING!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: My Christmas - New Year's GAMING QUEUE

Star Command: Galaxies has gorgeous pixel graphics. They had a Kickstarter where they did not give you a copy of the game and they had a second Kickstarter, I think. They have been working on it for 10 years. There is a bit of inscrutable UI at the very, very beginning and playing this through I can empathize with them. This is probably the greatest game of all-time in their heads and meanwhile, when I start the tutorial (that does not let me save inside it) I am thinking..... for the life of me I cannot find a way to teleport in the tutorial. I did figure it out after consulting the forums (the thread I found said, "Click the teleport button to the left of the screen and it's in the middle-bottom of the screen) and I did so. And we get teleported to a spaceship with dead crew. This is great! This looks amazing! But there's UX stumbles from the get-go. This does not mean the game is bad. Bratacass has the worst UX of any game but it's also a unique adventure.

My #1 piece of advice is to play the game with new people and sit next to them as they play. I am going to have to do this for Cyberganked and it is goin to take forever and be a slog but I think we have to do it to really see where people get stuck at the beginning.

I played a little farther. I had a windowed resolution and I zoomed in. Conversation was cut off between a robot and myself. This... is not ready for prime time. I wish them nothing but the best, I hope they will figure it out, but my curiosity is covered here. Can't save in the tutorial but it's enough of an adventure game where getting back to where I was won't take long.

Ice Cream Jonsey

ATOM:RPG does a thing that many CRPGs do, where you start off in a calm environment with nothing happening and you run through the tutorial. I have seen this opening 100 times in games. It is so goddamn boring. That zombie game, whatsitsface.... the Kickstarter one... argh.... Dead State! Dead State starts the EXACT SAME WAY. Christ.

Cinema sometimes has stuff start in a crappy situation where there is maximum drama to "hook" the audience and I wish games did that. I don't know if ATOM:RPG is a good game. Everyone says it's amazing! This is my second attempt at playing it and the tutorial (which is skippable!) is so boring I have to find and eat a banana pie to stave off the low blood sugar. Why is acceptable to not put your best shit at the beginning of a video game?

Ice Cream Jonsey

ATOM:RPG simply added a tutorial. They didn't have that when I first played. The tutorial can be ended at almost any time and then you do get into an exciting scrape. So don't listen to me. Abandon thread!

Ice Cream Jonsey

So I dunno about ATOM:RPG. It just did not grab me. I was in the first town and fixed a water issue, a nice homage to Fallout, I guess, where the first large mission is to get the water chip. But I had no idea what to do in ATOM:RPG. I didn't have enough money for a gun or food and you can't rest without food. So I don't know. It's certainly not holding your hand. The writing isn't anything to keep playing for. I think this meets the definition of playing it until I run out of things to do or are bored. I can see this game being a lot of fun if you know what to do with it.

A perfectly fine game that I was not feeling at all.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:43 am Detroit: Become Human
The Witcher 3
Atari 2600 Chess
Missile Command: Recharged
Defender (if not too cold in the garage) on the easiest level It has been too cold out.
Wasteland 3
Fallout - ONGOING!

I feel you brother on many of these games, so I will relate my thoughts..

- Detroit: Become Human: Essential game if you owned a PS4 2 years ago. I love the concept of "what is human?" so I really enjoyed this despite my complaints.

- The Witcher 3: Ain't played it. Still playing Witcher 1 remake. I will get there. No interest in buying the tabletop version yet like I had to instantly do with Cyberpunk.

- Atari 2600 Chess: Because I don't know enough about chess strategy, I dunno when I'm being dicked by this game. At least in the cheating tic/tac/toe game for TRS-80 I knew that shit was obviously cheating.

- Defender: This one is a soft spot for me. 2 of the coolest "arcade dudes" I know.. ICJ and my friend with the basement arcade say "I suck at this and I dunno how you can play that well" in some manner. I absolutely love this game and the sequel.. Stargate. I have a Stargate board set I hope to get stable to be official soon..

- Wasteland 3: I really liked this game going into it, and will still return to it.. but MAN is it hard to return to after about 24 total hours in. I would argue that the actual story and level of progression may actually be better in Wasteland 2.

- Fallout: I would encourage anyone here to play Fallout 76 with me on either PS4 or Steam while they try to play fallout 1-3/Vegas and get bored.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

So many classic games I've never got around to play. So first thing for me in 2022 was to play through at least one Final Fantasy game. I decided on the original PlayStation version of FF9, which I started playing now:

I'm about 15 hours in, and it's clearly a game for kids. But it's fun nonetheless so far.

(The only other FF game I ever played was 15, which came out with a lot of hype a couple years ago. But it was kinda crap. Can't understand why people like it.)

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casting LIT3..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

What is LIT3, friend?

pinback

Post by pinback »

https://guides.gamercorner.net/ff/spells/lit3

"LIT3 is the only must-buy level 6 black magic Spell. A powerful Spell, it will serve you especially well in the Sunken Shrine. Don't miss it!"

Gonna need you people to start including context/exposition with your posts around here.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:30 am https://guides.gamercorner.net/ff/spells/lit3

"LIT3 is the only must-buy level 6 black magic Spell. A powerful Spell, it will serve you especially well in the Sunken Shrine. Don't miss it!"

Gonna need you people to start including context/exposition with your posts around here.
100% correct sir.
Flack wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:38 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:06 am the first Wizardry
I frequently dream about revisiting this one. I know that the dungeon consists of 10 levels at at some point they just started filling them with dark rooms, spinners, and tiles that teleport you around. It's tough to jump into something knowing that's coming.
Totally dudes. So, I said I was gonna finish wizardry 1 via C64 when Flack first gifted me one. That became an awesome experience with some party members I created becoming table top Dungeons & Dragons characters (namely "Grimble Crumble" - The chaotic evil Gnome mage), and I was digging line-art dungeons for a while but I never finished, then I went back to Wizardry 6. This is because there are boobies in this version and if you complete it then you can transfer your characters to Wizardry 7 (NOT the Gold edition!).. one of the greatest CRPGs ever made. I'm now in the "pyramid" levels of Wiz 6 and looking forward to playing with my transferred party in Wiz 7 from the beginning to make the same experience I had around Xmas time when I got Wiz7 as a gift even more fullfilling. Then I will finish Wiz 7.

Fuck Wiz 8. If I have to finish off Wiz 1, it will be the NES version via cheats. The NES version still remains my favorite port of Wizardry 1.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I bought Ghostrunner a while ago. It's RTX-enabled.

Tutorial you cannot skip or save in.
Pleasant graphics.
The first tutorial mission is to break a guy out of prison.
The enemies all one-shot instakill and...

I don't know. The thing has me hitting Control, hitting Shift, hitting A and S to dodge when Shift is held... it lost me. I'd come back to it if I could save during the tutorial but I can't. I died probably 40 times and I give it credit for putting you back right where you started.

Absolutely not my thing. Done.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Would rather stare at the street in Cyberpunk in ray-tracing mode with such a card!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I've finished Final Fantasy 9.

Good game overall. 4/5. The graphics are surprisingly good for a PS1 game:

[media]http://83.212.109.87/~realnc/vid/ff9.mp4[/media]