Free Rip Converter PRO

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Free Rip Converter PRO

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I bought this when I was doing hundreds of discs - https://www.freerip.com/download.php it's the nicest MP3 ripper I have used. Looks like it is $4.99 at the moment. Black Friday?

JC Denizens, what do YOU use to rip MP3s???
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Re: Free Rip Converter PRO

Post by Flack »

Believe it or not, I bought FreeRip 20 years ago in 2001. I had used the free version for about a year and when I re-enrolled in college, I used my college email address to get student discounts on a few programs I wanted to support (FreeRip, WinRAR, CDR-Win, and LViewPro). I haven't updated FreeRip in many years and two weeks ago Windows Defender detected it as a virus (I guess the old installer had adware embedded in it) so I upgraded it and everything's happy.

I started ripping my CD collection in 128kbps when storage space was an issue -- not on the computer so much, but phones and mp3 players. At some point I switched to 192kbps, and then a couple of years ago before boxing up my entire CD collection I re-ripped everything at 320kbps.

If you would like to give your mp3 ripping software a test and would like to purchase 1,000+ CDs, please let me know.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

What kinds of cool stuff do you have that's not readily available by torrent? Maybe, cuz I just got a computer with an extra 1tb drive and I have also resolved to learn how to use my xfinity network like, a network, because I am about getting really sick of all these fucking streaming channel shenanigans. I

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:05 pm I bought this when I was doing hundreds of discs - https://www.freerip.com/download.php it's the nicest MP3 ripper I have used. Looks like it is $4.99 at the moment. Black Friday?

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is the best audio ripper out there. And it's free too.

https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?t ... Audio_Copy

Also, avoid MP3s if you can. Currently Opus is the best audio format to encode to. AAC and Vorbis are also much better than MP3.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Can't remember the last time I ripped a CD. Everything is available all the time and all the artists I listen to are dead. Well, mostly dead. I used to use Nero until it got bloated like a dead goat. Then it was Goldwave, still is, If I ever need it.

THE
LIMITED SOUNDS
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

From all the websites and magazines I've written for, I've acquired 200-300 CDs that aren't available online. The last stack of CDs I ripped were from bands like the Sweatpant Boners, Ancient Chinese Penis, Pitch Black, Cottonmouth, and a bunch of others. Some of them are independent releases and some are just demos. I agree, if you're ripping major label stuff it's just as easy to download it. Of course when I started ripping my own CDs to mp3s, there were no torrents. There were barely CD-ROM burners.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Also, avoid MP3s if you can. Currently Opus is the best audio format to encode to. AAC and Vorbis are also much better than MP3.
I'll give send you whatever the Greek equivalent of ten billion dollars is if you can tell the difference between any of them after listening to the same thing on all of them.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:33 pm Well, mostly dead.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:01 am I'll give send you whatever the Greek equivalent of ten billion dollars is if you can tell the difference between any of them after listening to the same thing on all of them.
It's not hard. Encode 96kbps MP3 and then 96kbps Opus. If you're not on completely abysmal speakers, you should be able to tell.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I was under the assumption that anything over 128kb is impossible to discern without really good speakers. I certainly couldn't tell the difference, not with the tinnitus and all. There was a time when I had all my music ripped at 320kb but it took up too much space for stuff I never listened to. So I deleted everything but the token albums.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Thank you for getting the Princess Bride reference

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

RealNC wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:31 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:05 pm I bought this when I was doing hundreds of discs - https://www.freerip.com/download.php it's the nicest MP3 ripper I have used. Looks like it is $4.99 at the moment. Black Friday?

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is the best audio ripper out there. And it's free too.

https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?t ... Audio_Copy

Well, I can't avoid mp3s because that is what our cars play over here and ours is a CAR CULTURE. But maybe the UI is better than ole Free Rip, so thanks for the heads-up!

Also I haven't had a chance to do the Docker compile of Hugor yet but I will soon, so thanks on that too.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

As I barely rarely listen to songs that did not get airplay or were popular, I haven't ripped a CD in over five years. Ever since I discovered two things: (1) Every major piece of music made in probably the last 70 years has a video on YouTube, either fan made, or an official release from the record label, and (2) YouTube downloader will copy them locally. I have plenty of disc space, or I'd have them saved as audio files instead of video ones.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien