What do you guys think about those darned looters in Minnesota?

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Finsternis

Re: What do you guys think about those darned looters in Minnesota?

Post by Finsternis » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:00 am

Tdarcos wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:55 am
Finsternis wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:05 pm
Tdarcos wrote:
I just do not wish to be talked down to or treated like I'm subhuman.
No one does.
You apparently are unable to understand that, because practically every message you've responded to
me with was that way.
Aha. Please read more carefully. I said "no one does", which is true. But you seem to think I said "it's never effective", which I disagree with. The two things are not the same.

And if you read our original posts carefully, I did not start treating you that way until you deserved it by being purposely obtuse, and pretending that 3,000 years of learning on the topic was surpassed by your idle noodlings.
Tdarcos wrote:
Finsternis wrote:
Perhaps you could give some example of where you imagine I failed to accept new information.
Every time I pointed out that if you insult people they will not listen to you. i said you could be giving away the secret to live forever with eternal youth and you'd never get anyone interested with that kind of sales program.
But that was not new information; I was well aware that you believed that, and that other people also think it's true. Unfortunately, it is not true. There are countless examples of people being treated like shit and yet still diong what the other person wants. Sometimes it's due to force or abuse, sometimes for other reasons. But it certainly is not some kind of universal truth. I didn't refuse to accept new information; I rejected an untrue assertion of yours.
Tdarcos wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:32 am
Finsternis wrote:
This may come as a surprise to you, but you don't read every word I ever write.
I read everything you wrote to me. And I read quite a bit if not all of what you say to others.
A critical fact you seem to be missing is that sometimes I write words to people who are not you, belying your "continually" assertion. I also often write words that aren't even addressed to anyone on this board! Imagine that! As usual, you are proving unable to conceive of anything outside your experience.
Tdarcos wrote:
Finsternis wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:
You definitely show specific symptoms of not knowing things you think you do.
Such as....? What things?
1. How to watch your messages in order to quote property.
I know perfectly well how the quote system works and how nesting works. I don't recall if you've ever been a programmer, but it's kind of fundamental to the trade. But first of all, I never claimed "I'm an expert on quoting" and second of all, a simple mistake does not imply lack of knowledge.
Tdarcos wrote:
2. How to watch for redlining that shows words are spelled wrong, and correct them.
See above. Seriously, Paul? that's the best ammo you got against me, is fucking typos and simple mistakes? That's IT? Oh, please. How pathetic. Do you need me to keep pointing out your spelling and usage errors? Didn't I humiliate you in that area enough already? I fucking guarantee you one thing: if we were ever in a spelling contest, I'd kick your ass from here to China.
Tdarcos wrote:
3. How to engage in a conversation over an issue without treating people like shit.
Oh, I know perfectly well how to do that. I just don't always choose to.
Tdarcos wrote:
Finsternis wrote:
And it's "everyone", not "eeveryone." Use the spell checker.
I do.
Clearly, you do not.
Tdarcos wrote:
I have a disability in which I have vision problems,
You have vision loss due to diabetic retinitis, brought on knowingly by yourself and your own actions. You get zero slack from me for that. You made your bed, now lie in it. If you're going to choose to nitpick someone on typos, you better be damn sure you are perfect.
Tdarcos wrote:
Occasionally I miss a misspelling.
Me, too.
Tdarcos wrote:
At least I try; I see you making mistakes all the time. I have a physical disability and a visual one. What's your excuse?
I don't make excuses; I own up to my mistakes. Nor do I blame my disabilities - which, while not as profound as yours, certainly exist and are disabling. My vision has never been great for my whole life; now that I'm starting to suffer from normal macular degeneration that nearly everyone my age suffers from, it's harder to see very small type, for example, even with glasses.
Tdarcos wrote:
Finsternis wrote:
Sometimes it's necessary for a greater goal, but it is not the goal itself.
Insulting people is not "necessary," it is a choice.
Yes. Sometimes it's a good choice, sometimes it's a bad choice. It depends on the situation.
Tdarcos wrote:
Choose to be civil and you won't have to seek respect, people will grant it to you. That can improve your ability to change people's opinions.
It can also harm that ability. Some people just don't listen to reason and their filters only pass aggression. You are making the mistake of believing the absurd old claptrap of "the golden rule". I'll give you a hint: not everyone wants to be treated the same way!
Tdarcos wrote:
Finsternis wrote:
It's spelled "dissension", BTW.
This is another example of your attitude problem. Remember, "Show, don't tell." A simple 'It's spelled "dissension", BTW.' would have been better.
It's a perfect example of your attitude problem, Paul. If you hadn't been specifically insulting me for typos in that very same message, I would have let it pass, the same way I let your countless previous errors pass. If you had not chosen to be a dick about it, I would have done the same in return.
Tdarcos wrote:
Here you go again with the goddam condescending attitude.
Yes; all you incessant insults to me and constant proclamations of ignoring me were exactly the perfect way to act. You are the very model of etiquette!
Tdarcos wrote:
In this message at times you've apparently been straightforward so I tried answering them on the possibility that maybe, just maybe, you could learn that being a bastard is not the way to "win friends and influence people"
Paul, don't attempt to teach me social interaction. You're neither an expert nor any kind of role model I'd ever want to emulate. Here on this board, I am choosing to take you to task for some things. In other places, I treat other people differently - but always as they deserve.
Tdarcos wrote:
if you might learn something so we could get someone from whom we'd want to hear from
Sometimes the most valuable things are the ones people don't want to hear.
Tdarcos wrote:
Call me an optimist, but I hate to see someone throw away their opportunity to speak
I have an infinite number of opportuntiues to speak.

Call me an optimist, but I was hoping you'd be able to learn a few major things all smart people have to learn eventually in order to get smarter:

1) There's always someone who knows more than you. Listen to them carefully and think about what they say deeply before responding. Have some respect for people who have more learning in an area than you do. Don't blindly accept everything they say forever, but be sure you have a really good understanding and are at about the same level as they are before disagreeing. They may be things you know more about than I do. If one ever comes up, I promise, I will acknowledge it.

2) The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.

3) Recognize the difference between your opinions and yourself. They are not the same. An attack on one is not an attack on the other. Cultivate dispassion.
Tdarcos wrote:
because they can't seem to learn how to treat others.
No, I don't want to treat others the exact same way you do because we are different people and have different styles.
"I’d rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question."

- Max Tegmark

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:08 am

Go away, please. (He's not going to go away.)
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:08 am

Finsternis wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:00 am
Tdarcos wrote:
Finsternis wrote:

No one does.
You apparently are unable to understand that, because practically every message you've responded to
me with was that way.
Aha. Please read more carefully. I said "no one does", which is true. But you seem to think I said "it's never effective", which I disagree with. The two things are not the same.
An I didn't say that, either. I said no one wants t be treated as subhman. You agreed that no one does. I then said that was how you did in almost every message. I made no comment about whether or not it was effective - something I'll reserve judgment on - I simply said nobody wants to be treated that way.
Finsternis wrote:
And if you read our original posts carefully, I did not start treating you that way until you deserved it by being purposely obtuse
In your opinion.
Finsternis wrote:
, and pretending that 3,000 years of learning on the topic was surpassed by your idle noodlings.
And? 3,000 years of learning in a soft subject like - what were we discussing, philosophy? or one of its branches, metaphysics or religion? - where any opinion might be correct - or might not - because it is not grounded in objective reality, doesn't really impress me.

Find something where I'm wrong on an objectively provable fact and I will change my opinion to correct it. You're the one who says the same thing; you want to hear if you're wrong based on proof. So show me: provide one piece of proof where I've been objectively wrong. If I say the sun rises in the north, we know that's objectively wrong.

If I were like Pinback and claim "there are no gods," that would be neither wrong nor right because it cannot be proven. Same for someone who claims there is one (or more), but there is more credence to accept the former because the latter lacks evidence. But they are still opinions.
Finsternis wrote:
But that was not new information; I was well aware that you believed that, and that other people also think it's true. Unfortunately, it is not true. There are countless examples of people being treated like shit and yet still diong what the other person wants.
There are probably a number of reasons why that could be the case, including lack of self esteem and physical or psychological abuse, threats and coercion. The military has perfected the use of psychological (and sometimes physical) abuse to force individuals to become soldiers willing to abandon their humanity and respect for others in order to follow orders and kill on command. But even they sometimes can't break people, and those people get discharged. It's less now that we use an all-volunteer military, but was a much bigger thing in conscript militaries,
Finsternis wrote:
Sometimes it's due to force or abuse, sometimes for other reasons.
We're acually both on the same page.
Finsternis wrote:
But it certainly is not some kind of universal truth. I didn't refuse to accept new information; I rejected an untrue assertion of yours.-
Okay, please tell me exactly what factual statement I made that was not true, and remember, a "fact" is a piece of information that can be objectively verified, that is conformant with reality.
Finsternis wrote:
A critical fact you seem to be missing is that sometimes I write words to people who are not you, belying your "continually" assertion.
Typically, words by a respondent are directed to the proponent. Doing otherwise and not saying so is, to say the least, weird. If I say something directed to someone else I would advise them. Like when I quoted a phrase about alcoholics from one of my books to someone else, I mentioned to Billy Mays, who collects my stories, that he could verify it.
Finsternis wrote:
I also often write words that aren't even addressed to anyone on this board!
Then you choose to be disregarded, as whomever it is will never see it. I'll stop saying "ignored." Billy Mays was right, like watching a bloody traffic accident, you're too entertaining to be ignored. But if you're going to be a dick, people will start bringing out full-body condoms. (Cue love scene from The Naked Gun.)
Finsternis wrote:
You have vision loss due to diabetic retinitis, brought on knowingly by yourself and your own actions. You get zero slack from me for that.
And I cut you zero slack for knowingly being insulting, so I guess we're even.
Finsternis wrote:
You made your bed, now lie in it.
Which I do, and will for the rest of my life. There's not a day goes by that I don't remember what I have lost, and can never get back. I did read your suggestions, most of which I'm not able to accomplish for legal and financial reasons.
Finsternis wrote:
Yes. Sometimes it's a good choice, sometimes it's a bad choice. It depends on the situation.
In this situation, clearly it's a bad choice. Continuing to use it disfavors yourself. As you seem to be a fan of using logic, logic would dictate that as bad behavior gets you no benefit and detracts from your message that you should discontinue it.
Finsternis wrote:
It can also harm that ability. Some people just don't listen to reason and their filters only pass aggression. You are making the mistake of believing the absurd old claptrap of "the golden rule". I'll give you a hint: not everyone wants to be treated the same way!
I'll give you a hint: it usually works better to be civil than to be rude. Yes, there are outliers, but the people who visit here are not part of them. Otherwise, try to find another place where you can say what you want in whatever fashion you want. Be insulting if you choose, people will tune you out, if you don't get thrown off that platform or are ignored/disregarded.
Finsternis wrote:
It's a perfect example of your attitude problem, Paul.
I don't have an attitude problem. A lot of people - here and in person - like me. I communicate without having to be insulting. And as far as I know I have never been that way toward you.
Finsternis wrote:
If you hadn't been specifically insulting
Exactly when did I resort to name calling? Pointing out errors is not insulting. Even when you do it. If you point out a spelling error, fine. When you're not just pedantic, but didactically pedagogical, it gets ridiculous.
Finsternis wrote:
me for typos in that very same message, I would have let it pass, the same way I let your countless previous errors pass. If you had not chosen to be a dick about it, I would have done the same in return.
I"Insult" is in the mind of the beholder. Pointing out spelling errors is probably pedantic, and may be hypocritical, but I doubt as done it's insulting.
Finsternis wrote:
Paul, don't attempt to teach me social interaction.
Oh, I would never attempt to do that, as you've had such massive success on your own.
Finsternis wrote:
You're neither an expert nor any kind of role model I'd ever wan to emulate.
I don't claim to be an expert, nor would I expect you to do so. It's just, after more than eight years here, I understand the other people here.
Finsternis wrote:
Here on this board, I am choosing to take you to task for some things. In other places, I treat other people differently - but always as they deserve.
No, you don't. You disagreed with me on a particular subject, and instead of saying you disagree and believe I cannot be reasoned with then stop, you proceeded to be rude and nasty, and not just to me, but to others. If the other person can't be reached, you could simply declare there is an impasse, disagree and move on. But you didn't do that, you doubled down with insults and then blamed me for not responding positively.
Finsternis wrote:
Sometimes the most valuable things are the ones people don't want to hear.
Bringing bad news or unpleasant truths are not the problem, it's being insulting about it that's the real problem.

It's one thing to say "Listen, the dam above you is going to burst, you've got maybe a week. Collect what you can and get to higher ground, and if you don't have it, buy flood insurance today if you can, you're going to lose this house, Here are the maps and photos to show why..." is different from saying "Look, you fucking morons, I gotta tell you assholes that.." means the important message is tuned out. In fact, dropping the insults is especially important if they actually are morons and/or assholes.
Finsternis wrote:
I have an infinite number of opportuntiues to speak.
Yes, but if you're just shouting into a rain barrel or an echo chamber, you don't get heard. And getting heard is what is important.
Finsternis wrote:
1) There's always someone who knows more than you. Listen to them carefully and think about what they say deeply before responding.
I have listened to very intelligent people like Neil DeGrasse Tyson and I have never heard him be anything but civil, often gracious, even when someone has asked a really stupid question.
Finsternis wrote:
2) The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
I'd say "Tell me about it," but that's not right. This I keep (re)discovering all the time.
Finsternis wrote:
3) Recognize the difference between your opinions and yourself. They are not the same. An attack on one is not an attack on the other. Cultivate dispassion.
I have no problem with attacks upon my opinions. Personal attacks, however, I take exception to. And that's what has been your problem. It also appears that you have the same problem you accuse me of, inability to dispassionally accept disagreement.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:31 am

AArdvark wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:19 pm
Bribe the hot nurses with Starburst fruit chews for hand jobs!
Truth be told, I was hoping for something completely different than what I ended up chancing upon.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:32 pm

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:43 pm

What can I say, they needed some liquor and didn't want to pay any money for it, kind of how they look at tipping. I know that place, horrible neighborhood.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:43 pm

What can I say, they needed some liquor and didn't want to pay any money for it, kind of how they look at tipping. I know that place, horrible neighborhood.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:54 pm

That Twitter account posts pictures of guns as trophys. Which is great, I needed a bunch of taxpayer-funded public domain photos of guns.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Oh no, they are all protesting killer cops in Minnesota

THE
BELIEVE ME?
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:39 am

I like the part where the noose in Bubba's garage was not a noose at all. It was a door rope that commonly has a noose that you could maybe hang a mouse with.

#nascarisdumb

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:17 am

AArdvark wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:01 pm
Oh no, they are all protesting killer cops in Minnesota

THE
BELIEVE ME?
AARDVARK
Yea, cuz theres no racial injustice or police brutality in rochacha.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:13 am

Casual Observer wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:43 pm
Actually, they wouldn't have minded paying for the booze, it was paying the sales tax to the government that pays for police that they objected to. They just didn't want the store to get in trouble by not paying sales tax. It was just part of the "defund the police" campaign.
"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch."
-The Weeknd, Blinding Lights

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:18 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:54 pm
That Twitter account posts pictures of guns as trophys. Which is great, I needed a bunch of taxpayer-funded public domain photos of guns.
Try again. Only federal government-issued materials are public domain. State and local governments do have valid copyright on the materials they create, except for laws, regulations and court decisions.
"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch."
-The Weeknd, Blinding Lights

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:51 am

Tdarcos wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:18 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:54 pm
Try again. Only federal government-issued materials are public domain. State and local governments do have valid copyright on the materials they create, except for laws, regulations and court decisions.
"Try again."

Hey everyone, look at the guy who's been wrong about EVERY SINGLE THING HE'S EVER POSTED ABOUT for 20 years, including the fact that 1979 Nissans don't exist, try to make a sweeping comment about copyright.

I want you to think about the repercussions for one second of crime scene photos being under a single person's "copyright" and what effect that might have and then really REALLY think if you've got this one correct or not. What POSSIBLE side effects there could be.

Jesus Christ.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!