I guess this counts as news: I now know what I'm taking

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

I guess this counts as news: I now know what I'm taking

Post by Tdarcos » Fri May 22, 2020 5:23 am

One of the medical professionals came by to ask how I felt as far as my tremor is concerned. It did so well I'd forgotten I had them. So I told her I hadn't had any in several days. She was glad to hear that, and started to leave. I asked her what they had given me, and after sereral repeats I still kept thinking she was saying "cinnamon," which made no sense, so I called her back. Then I found out she was saying what I thought was "Cinemet" but fortunately a Wikipedia editor inserted the misspelling (the brand is actually "Sinemet,") which redirects to Carbidopa/levodopa. A combination of the two drugs, and while the article said it can take two weeks for the drug to become effective, in my case, as I said in an earlier message, it only took hours.

"Common side effects include movement problems and nausea. More serious side effects include depression, low blood pressure with standing, sudden onset of sleepiness, psychosis, and increased risk-taking behavior."

Well, I already have movement problems; I haven't had nausea; It makes me feel so badly and saddened that I don't have depression; low blood pressure might explain why my blood pressure is normal, it's defeating my high blood pressure; I sometimes fall asleep without zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz oh where was I? Yeah, anyway, not sure about psychosis, I've always had weird thoughts; and as for "increased risk-taking behavior," maybe that's why I pissed off RetroRomper so much[1].

So, for those of you who wanted to know what they gave me for the shakes, there you are.

- - -
[1] He'd probably say, "No, you've always been an asshole."
This signature is limited to 128 characters, or I could have said a few more things. Like, do you know who killed JFK? it was...

bryanb

Re: I guess this counts as news: I now know what I'm taking

Post by bryanb » Sat May 23, 2020 1:48 am

That's very good news! This means you can code again, right? You haven't mentioned floaters and eye problems recently as far as I've seen so hopefully your eyes have been doing better lately too. The odds that The Librarian will be finished and unleashed upon an utterly unprepared public have never been better. Looking forward to it!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat May 23, 2020 7:20 am

bryanb wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:48 am
This means you can code again, right?
I don't know. I will give that a "Maybe," as I did try doing some programming and other than some eye problems it wasn't too bad.
bryanb wrote:
You haven't mentioned floaters and eye problems recently as far as I've seen so hopefully your eyes have been doing better lately too.
Not much. I don't have the extreme light sensitivity - or maybe not sensitivity, white light does not hurt my eyes - but rather that white can sometimes "wash out" and make reading things in black on white difficult. For example, I use High Contrast so this text is yellow on a black background. The inverse is what my keyboard looks like; large black characters on yellow keys.

I don't mention my floaters and blur for he same reason I don't mention my stump; neither have recovered, other than partially. My stump stopped hurting about a month after my leg was cut off. My blur got less sensitive to white backgrounds. My right leg has not grown back, and my floaters have not dissipated.
bryanb wrote:
The odds that The Librarian will be finished and unleashed upon an utterly unprepared public have never been better. Looking forward to it!
While I have thought about it (mostly due to your comment here and now), I figure it's not a big audience. How many people these days play text-based interactive fiction? Maybe 50 people write games these days (based on the nmber of entrants to IFComp) and what, maybe 500-1000 people (some of which include those who code) actually play them? And how many even bother with Hugo-based games?

I had basically forgotten about the game, however, I think I'll put it back on my to-do list. I am writing a book called Marnie, about the adventures of a young girl who is Empress of her country. (A chapter on the history of the country of Vicron from its founding as the Republic of Vicron to its conversion to an Empire appears on Caltrops.) When I get into a dry spell or it becomes tedious work, I can switch gears and do something else for a while. November is only six months, not sure The Librarian will be done in time for IFComp 2020 (as I also have a separate IF "game" called "States" I'm sometimes working on, which might get finished before.)
This signature is limited to 128 characters, or I could have said a few more things. Like, do you know who killed JFK? it was...

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun May 24, 2020 5:26 pm

In all seriousness, are you trying to improve your medical situation?

I ask this because a friend of mine went in for throat cancer two years ago and ended spending nine months in ICU. After so much time in a hospital bed he lost the ability to walk. He's pretty much given up even trying to get around on his own, even though he could if he had the willpower to do the physical therapy. I was wondering if you've given up ever trying to become independent again

bryanb

Post by bryanb » Mon May 25, 2020 2:33 pm

AArdvark wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:26 pm
In all seriousness, are you trying to improve your medical situation?

I ask this because a friend of mine went in for throat cancer two years ago and ended spending nine months in ICU. After so much time in a hospital bed he lost the ability to walk. He's pretty much given up even trying to get around on his own, even though he could if he had the willpower to do the physical therapy. I was wondering if you've given up ever trying to become independent again
I've said this before, but I think Paul has handled his situation better than I or many people would have. He still cares about things. He is still creative. He still has ambitions. He hasn't given up on life even though life has given him plenty of things to feel down about. Independence is of course generally to be preferred to dependence, but it may not be a realistic goal given the long list of medical challenges Paul faces. I wouldn't discount the possibility of Paul going off on his own entirely, but it might not even be the best thing for Paul to aim for under the circumstances. Maybe we should introduce Vark's friend to Paul so he can find some inspiration or rethink the trajectory of his life.

Also, let's remember that we're all getting older. I'm getting older too. Is anyone here SURE that in thirty years they won't be wearing diapers, won't be hooked to a catheter, and will have all your limbs in good working order? It's not a fate anyone chooses, but it still happens, even to people who have lived generally healthy lives. I certainly plan to do my best to stay independent and stay healthy. If worse comes to worst, I might even consider following Robb's nursing home avoidance strategy, particularly if I sense my mind is starting to go. Who knows though, I might be okay with it when the time comes or too out of it to make my own decisions.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon May 25, 2020 3:10 pm

I seriously doubt I will ever be able to be independent, considering that it took a tremendous amount of effort to just get me to sit up. For me to be in a wheelchair requires they roll me to put a "hoya mat" undeneath me, then hook the four points of the hoya mat to a "hoya lift," a device that can lift me out of bed (or put me back in).

Plus, since I'm not eligible to be in a power wheelchair, I'd have to be pushed around in a manual; I don't have the strength to push a manual wheelchair anymore. The only way I could do anything indepemdemtly would be to be put into a power wheelchair. But at that, I don't necessarily trust these people; once I'm in a manual chair, I can stand it for maybe an hour or so, after which it starts to hurt. And I mean, it is painful. From the time I get brought back from wherever I was until someone shows up to get me out of the chair, can be two hours or longer. I don't matter much.

Now, I've seen good operations. When I was in Rm. 240, one of the aides who handled me would see about a regular change of be linens, which might, if I was lucky, be once a week.

Usual practice: roll me to one side, roll old bedding as close to under me as they can, while stuffing the new bedding after it. Next, roll me back the other way, over the lump - which always is right under my spine - then roll me over on that side, pulling the old bedding out and unrolling the new. Not pleasant, since if it's one person, (s)he has to push and hold me to roll in or roll out material, which is often painful during probably 10 minutes it takes to do this.

This aide did something different. She got a hoya mat, and rolled me to get it under me (much less stress on me), hooked the mat to a hoya lift, lift me out of bed, move me over, leaving me in the lift the way a caught fish is left on a fisherman's rod or the scale, strip the bed, make the bed, then use the lift to put me back. None of this hurts. Net time, about 5 minutes.

There's also one other thing which I wish they had done before. When I was being moved in Maryland, they'd unhook the mat at the four points, remove the hoya lift, then roll me to retrieve the mat. Simple. right? Nope, there's am easier way, and I wish I had thought of it.

When they put me back in bed here, they only release the bottom two hooks off the mat, leaving it hooked on to the hoya lift at the front. Then, they raise the lift. This causes me to slide out of the mat, gently landing me back in bed, without having to go through the effort of removing the mat.

Slicker than snot.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Haha, BryanB, what is my nursing home strategy? I sort of remember but not completely.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

bryanb

Post by bryanb » Mon May 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 pm
Haha, BryanB, what is my nursing home strategy? I sort of remember but not completely.
Let's just say it involved a shotgun but not a wedding. It's kind of good you don't remember. We may all end up posting from nursing homes before JC is done!