Excessive quoting in reply messages: It's all Trump''s fault

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Excessive quoting in reply messages: It's all Trump''s fault

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55 pm

There is a big problem I have noticed here and I think I know why it is happening.

The problem is excessive quoting in reply messages. It seems people have forgotten the quintessential requirement of proper quoting: quote onlly the essence of the original message that contains the part you're responding to, and that's all. Then respond to that.

You're supposed to get to the point: quote the line or lines you're responding to, then delete the rest! Be succinct, and get to the point.

Instead of succinct quoting, I see obscenely bloated examples where someone copies in a quote an entire 100+ line message to make a 1-line comment about something from that message that could have been quoted in 1 line, maybe 2 lines max.

You people complain about me not leaving short messages of 8 lines or less, but I doubt there is a man jack among you that could remember to even cut down a message you're quoting to eight lines. Remember, we've already read the original message you're quoting, you don't need to repeat all of it. Besides, nobody probably read all of the message you quoted anyway.

Now, the only time it is appropriate to quote an entire previous message is when you are answering points all throughout the message. If you've noticed, when I've done that, I've quoted a few lines, then commented on that piece, then a few more and commented on that piece, and so on, often deleting chunks where I had no comment about them in order to reduce the size of the material quoted. I try very hard to reduce redundant quoting of prior messages. And I'd like to see you guys do the same.

But I know the reason why. It's Donald Duck err I mean Donald Trump. His stupid is infectious, and more contagious than Covid-19. Sheltering in place won't help, the news caries the virus of his infectious stupidity everywhere there's Television.

I realize, since we don't have television in the permanent rooms, I'm immunized from his stupid, which is why I tend to cut back on quoting of prior messages. Here's what you can do to help:
* When quoting a message, don't just wash your hands of it, asd figure you've done your job. Try washing the message first, to remove dangerously excessive material.
* Don't just cough up a quote into your hands and post it, try quoting it into your elbow first.
* To prevent causing other people's eyes to glaze over, watch to reduce the spread by reducing the potential size of the infection and cut back on quotes.

If we all do our part, we can get through this time of trouble without this place turning into a plague of long quotes.
"The lessons of history teach us, if they teach us anything, that no one learns the lessons that history teaches us."

AArdvark

Re: Excessive quoting in reply messages: It's all Trump''s fault

Post by AArdvark » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Pandora's quote box has been opened, duck and cover.

THE
PEOPLE IN LONG LINES
OF TEXT
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55 pm
There is a big problem I have noticed here and I think I know why it is happening.

The problem is excessive quoting in reply messages. It seems people have forgotten the quintessential requirement of proper quoting: quote onlly the essence of the original message that contains the part you're responding to, and that's all. Then respond to that.

You're supposed to get to the point: quote the line or lines you're responding to, then delete the rest! Be succinct, and get to the point.

Instead of succinct quoting, I see obscenely bloated examples where someone copies in a quote an entire 100+ line message to make a 1-line comment about something from that message that could have been quoted in 1 line, maybe 2 lines max.

You people complain about me not leaving short messages of 8 lines or less, but I doubt there is a man jack among you that could remember to even cut down a message you're quoting to eight lines. Remember, we've already read the original message you're quoting, you don't need to repeat all of it. Besides, nobody probably read all of the message you quoted anyway.

Now, the only time it is appropriate to quote an entire previous message is when you are answering points all throughout the message. If you've noticed, when I've done that, I've quoted a few lines, then commented on that piece, then a few more and commented on that piece, and so on, often deleting chunks where I had no comment about them in order to reduce the size of the material quoted. I try very hard to reduce redundant quoting of prior messages. And I'd like to see you guys do the same.

But I know the reason why. It's Donald Duck err I mean Donald Trump. His stupid is infectious, and more contagious than Covid-19. Sheltering in place won't help, the news caries the virus of his infectious stupidity everywhere there's Television.

I realize, since we don't have television in the permanent rooms, I'm immunized from his stupid, which is why I tend to cut back on quoting of prior messages. Here's what you can do to help:
* When quoting a message, don't just wash your hands of it, asd figure you've done your job. Try washing the message first, to remove dangerously excessive material.
* Don't just cough up a quote into your hands and post it, try quoting it into your elbow first.
* To prevent causing other people's eyes to glaze over, watch to reduce the spread by reducing the potential size of the infection and cut back on quotes.

If we all do our part, we can get through this time of trouble without this place turning into a plague of long quotes.
??
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:55 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:40 pm
Tdarcos wrote:

??
Agreed.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:03 pm

Tdarcos wrote:

ICJ suspended the 8 line limit when we all thought you died from nursing home abuse.
RealNC wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:55 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:

??
Agreed.
Yep.

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:03 pm
Tdarcos wrote:

ICJ suspended the 8 line limit when we all thought you died from nursing home abuse.
RealNC wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:

??
Agreed.
Yep.
Alright, I'm in.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:03 pm
Tdarcos wrote:

RealNC wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:

??
Agreed.
Yep.
Billy Mays is correct. The 8 line limit was suspended when we thought you were a dead man. I make the same deal to anyone else that we think died and came back and had a former history of needing a limit. The, and I cannot stress this enough, important thing to remember is that you never adhered even slightly to the 8 line limit to begin with.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 pm

So far this week Tdarcos has shared his opinions on marriage, weight loss, and succinctness. If we could just get his thoughts on marathons, modern programming languages, and the food pyramid, I think we can go ahead and wrap things up here.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne