I have gone (semi) blind (again)

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

I have gone (semi) blind (again)

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:17 pm

Well, the Universe has found a new way to fuck me in the ass again. No, after all the things it has stolen from me, they aren't enough, it has to perform the "coup de gras" and take my vision away.

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but about three years ago I had "sudden onset blindness" (my term) in which I suddenly - as in overnight - had floaters in my eye which were thick enough that all I could see was blur. This lasted a few weeks until it just as suddenly cleared up in a suspicious manner (I might explain why later). I think it took me offline as I could not see enough to post. Amazingly enough, despite being functionally blind, I at least could see enough on the edges to be able to take the bus to the store, buy food, bring it home, and cook it.

While the blindness isn't as bad now as it was then, it's still bad. To get an idea how bad, if you have lace curtains, try looking through them, folded 2 or 3 times. While I normally view this BBS with Firefox increasing the font size (Control +) twice, and sometimes using Microsoft Windows Screen Magnifier at 200%, some things are so blurry i can't see them at all. The main blurring floater is a sneaky little bastard that likes to breeze into the exact center of my vision, which, if I'm lucky, either gets out of the way, or having Firefox use triple magnification helps overcome the son-of-a=bitch.

Also, I can't touch type any more because the infection that made me bedridden, call it sometime in Jan. or Feb., gave me severe Dupuychen's Syndrome, curling up all my fingers on my left hand except for the thumb. But I do know many of the keyboard key locations by memory so I can do some typing by touch but not that well. I don't think I can get 5 words out without misspelling something.

And then there's "break and re-break" where you realize you "broke" a word by misspelling, e.g. sometimes Firefox will catch "free' spelled "frww" or "frrr" because the built-in spell checker redlines it. But it won't catch "fire" spelled "fir". Or the word "time" is valid with an "s" or a "d" on the end. Some misspellings it completely misses, like "happens" spelled "ha[[ens". Well, let's take the first word of this sentence, which I have used more than once in this article, and probably misspelled more than once, as "wekk." No problem, move past the "e" and hit Delete twice, or go to the end of the word and hit Backspace twice, then type "ll". Only i didn't type "ll" I typed "kk" again, re-breaking the word I just tried to fix! Or repairing "wekk" as "we;;". (I cam't evem coumt the munber of tines I've imterchamed "m" amd "n".) Or used "amd" and wasn't referring to the competitor to Intel.

So it might get better (before I took a nap this afternoon I had dots, like sand or pepper, along with the thick floater) or it might get worse (while writing this article I saw an ominous black spot - or more like a "blotch" - in the top of my vision. Fortunately it floated away but if it had gone lower it would have made any sight in that area impossible.) But it might limit my ability to post here; I don't even know how long it took to write this. I do know it really fucks up my plans to try and make some money by writing. which is about the only thing i had left I could do.

I'll see what happens. (Or maybe I won't see.)
"I know what you're doing, I see it all too clear."
- Duncan Sheik, Barely Breathing

Casual Observer

Re: I have gone (semi) blind (again)

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:34 pm

You might need antibiotics. I once had partial blindness due to an infection behind my eyes. Apparently the infection caused the back of the eye to press forward. Antibiotics cleared it up.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:48 pm

CO, let me see if this helps:
You might need antibiotics. I once had partial blindness due to an infection behind my eyes. Apparently the infection caused the back of the eye to press forward. Antibiotics cleared it up.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:51 pm

Ha. Ha. That was 30 years ago but thanks.

bryanb

Post by bryanb » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 pm

This sucks. I know you don't have the best relationship with your doctor, but please do consult with him about this. It might be something treatable like CO experienced. The fact that it went away before gives some hope it might do the same thing this time around, but don't take that for granted.

If worse comes to worse, you can look (er, poor choice of words there) into screen readers. There are a lot of blind computer users, writers, and text game players out there. If I ever go blind, I see (er, poor choice of words there) myself pretty much using a computer all day long. Maybe even close to 24/7 because being blind will probably fuck with my sleep cycle. Blindness is definitely no excuse for not posting any more...did you really think we'd let you go that easily?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:04 pm

My floater problem has changed. Overnight the blur went away - maybe exposing it scared it off - and instead I have a non-stationary floater that moves around as my eye does. It reminds me of an eyelash. because that's what it looks like. A thick brown base and thin streamers flowing upward.

Its friend, the blotch, has politely agreed to remain out of the way at the top of my vision. My understanding, according to Wikipedia, is that floaters are the result of age-related degeneration. As I was on intravenous antibiotics before I had my amputation I do not think it is infection related but one of the aides I mentioned this to said he'd let one of the doctors know.

Besides, as I mentioned in my original posting, I had a much worse case of floaters about three years ago that started up, and ended, under the most mysterious coincidence. To the best of my knowledge i did not have an infection at that time.

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 pm

There are lots of things that can cause floaters, including diabetes and high blood pressure.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:29 am

Flack wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 pm
There are lots of things that can cause floaters, including diabetes and high blood pressure.
Yes, and I believe in prior postings I mentioned I am (and have been for some time, probably a couple of years) taking medications for high blood pressure (or rather, medications to treat it.) Was a result of my going into the hospital for congestive heart failure, which was caused because I had a doctor's appointment and could not go because my scrotum swelled up in size, making riding my wheelchair impossible. Instead I called 9-1-1 and had them take mr to the hospital.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:16 am

Pix?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:52 am

Tdarcos wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:29 am
Flack wrote:
Yes, and I believe in prior postings I mentioned I am (and have been for some time, probably a couple of years) taking medications for high blood pressure (or rather, medications to treat it.) Was a result of my going into the hospital for congestive heart failure, which was caused because I had a doctor's appointment and could not go because my scrotum swelled up in size, making riding my wheelchair impossible. Instead I called 9-1-1 and had them take mr to the hospital.
You must be losing weight in there, though, right?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:47 am

Tdarcos wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:29 am
Flack wrote:
my scrotum swelled up in size, making riding my wheelchair impossible.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:48 am

Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Ben and (what CO has shown to be his real name is) Eric, the two enormous ball sac cartoons from South Park were hilarious. Thank you both.

While the CHF did stretch my scrotum, once the fluid retention issues ceased it shrank back down to a much smaller size although it might be somewhat larger than it originally was.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:50 pm

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

The Best Medicine

Post by The Best Medicine » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:54 pm

If laughter is the great cure-all, let me have a crack at him:

Why do Indians hate the fine dining experience?

They have to get reservations.