Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

pinback

Beer Poll: Founders Solid Gold

Post by pinback » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:48 pm

How many of you:

1. Have seen this in your stores?
2. Have tried it?
3. Have an opinion on it? (Please state opinion.)
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Jizaboz

Re: Beer Poll: Founders Solid Gold

Post by Jizaboz » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Never seen that one.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:29 am

That one is new to me! Have ya tried it, Pinner?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:07 am

I have! I'd seen it for a while, it's generally placed next to the Yuengling, which is the same general style/price point, but only tried it a month or so ago, and now I get virtually nothing else. It's the best taste-per-dollar beer out there. Less sweet, more hoppy, and less Trump-supporting than Yuengling, it may be the perfect beer! I just didn't know if anyone else has it in their town. It's made in Michigan.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:44 pm

I've had the All Day IPA but never the solid gold

I do like the 'what if' thing on the website

--------

FOUNDERS BREWING CO.
Search
Next

What if There were exploding pork chops?
« CHANGE MY WHAT IF
We believe that life is about having the audacity and guts to go for it, no matter the consequences. Not to just ask “what if”, but to answer it. That attitude is what drives us here at Founders and has built our brewery to what it is today. Now we want to hear from you. “Own” your what if below and we’ll be sure to share dream-chasing, curated content with you meant to inspire. We may even bring your ‘what if’ to life on our social channels!

Own It
Keep Anonymous
Name*
First
Last
Email*
Twitter Handle
@handle
Instagram Handle
@handle
Address*
Street Address
City
State / Province / Region
ZIP / Postal Code

Country
T-shirt size

Favorite Founders Beer
Tell us more about your 'What If'
Opt-in for 'Chase Your What If' Newsletter
Opt-in for Founders Newsletter

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:43 pm

pinback wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:48 pm
1. Have seen this in your stores?
2. Have tried it?
3. Have an opinion on it? (Please state opinion.)
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

Its sightings can be spotty, at times. With new breweries opening up seemingly every single day and more and more beer distributing into the state, liquor stores tend to go one of two routes: either they buy absolutely everything coming their way with their beer section and selection quickly becoming haphazardly chaotic, taking on a flea market vibe strewn with dust and ancient born-on (or best-by) dating, or they tend to be a bit smarter about the choices they select from the distributors, being cognizant of current and local market trends, even utilizing social media to announce new arrivals and drum up hype within the Georgia beer community. FSG fades into the background of the third world bizaar liquor stores and doesn't quite make the cut of those running tighter, leaning inventories.

FSG is a fine, tidy lager, though it tends to land a buck or two above equally fine, tidy lager offerings from local breweries. This last year has seen quite a bit of Classic City Lager come through the household (as well as my belly). Light, bright and refreshing, it is readily available, priced appropriately and hits the market startlingly fresh from the packaging lines in Athens, GA. While I would feel confident in Founders Brewing Co's ability to thwart spoilage contaminants during the packaging process and minimize TPO, checking date codes on bottles and cans is habitual for me. If a flip of the can reveals a beer that's rather long in the tooth, I politely return it to its rightful place on the shelf. I'm sorry, FSG, I'm not paying an extra added premium to cover your year-long shelf lease. Fine, tidy lager.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Well, we don't get "Classic City Lager" here.

Back in my Murfreesboro days, which I never thought I'd be a person who would ever utter the phrase "Boy, I sure miss Murfreeesboro, Tennessee", but here we are, a local craft had come out with "Music City Light", which was an incredible, perfect example of this style, but then they quickly changed it and made it worse, since the people were upset that it had actual flavor. Other than the original MCL recipe, which doesn't exist anymore, FSG is the best I've had. But I would enjoy exploring this genre further!

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:38 pm

I took this OFFLINE and discussed it with CGG. Where CGG lives, he is forced to pay a premium for this beer -- that is to say, the same price as other craft beers. That is not the case here. The point of this style of beer is to be a "good version of Bud/Miller/Coors", and priced similarly. Where I'm at, a 12-pack of Founders Solid Gold is one (1) dollar more than the 12-pack of Coors Light it sits next to, and is so wildly superior to it, it's not even in the conversation.

But that's crucial to the style. I'm not saying this is the best beer there is, but it's the best beer I've found at its price point.

If it was priced the same as Rhinegeist Truth, or even Sam Adams Boston Lager, I wouldn't even have mentioned it.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:36 pm

pinback wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:38 pm
The point of this style of beer is to be a "good version of Bud/Miller/Coors", and priced similarly.
Not trying to be funny here, but my understanding is that a bucket of warm piss would be "a good version" of these beers, and the correct price would be that like with all sewage, they should pay you to take it away. Bud and Miller are commercial dreck, and Coors is so weak there's more alcohol in a bottle of root beer. It's garbage like these that make me glad I don't drink.
"Shirt them a-tear up, trousers is gone/don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde."
-Desmond Dekker, The Israelites

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Alright, good talk.

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:06 pm

pinback wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:17 pm
Alright, good talk.
Everyone able to stand stands behind you on this one.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:43 am

Flack wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:06 pm
pinback wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:17 pm
Alright, good talk.
Everyone able to stand stands behind you on this one.
Except myself, I have decided I can no longer stand by what I say anymore. Oh damn, I should have said I can't believe anyone stands for these bad beers, because I don't. At least I have a leg up on my competition.
"Shirt them a-tear up, trousers is gone/don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde."

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 am

Tdarcos wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:36 pm
The point of this style of beer is to be a "good version of Bud/Miller/Coors", and priced similarly.
Not trying to be funny here, but my understanding is that a bucket of warm piss would be "a good version" of these beers, and the correct price would be that like with all sewage, they should pay you to take it away. Bud and Miller are commercial dreck,
You "hate the taste of all alcohol" so perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to comment on how various alcohol products taste.
Tdarcos wrote:
and Coors is so weak there's more alcohol in a bottle of root beer.
root beer has no alcohol as you know so this is one of the dumbest things you've written in at least a day.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 am
Tdarcos wrote:
and Coors is so weak there's more alcohol in a bottle of root beer.
root beer has no alcohol as you know so this is one of the dumbest things you've written in at least a day.
Yes, I know root beer doesn't have any alcohol in itt, that was the point .I was using the literary device of hyperbole, or ridiculous exaggeration. If someone says to their child, "I must have told you a million times not to do that," it's pretty obvious they never actually said it a million times. I figured everyone here got the point I was making that root beer, which has no alcohol, has more than Coors, which is clearly ridiculous.

In the movie Do the Right Thing, one guy says he's going to buy something, probably expensive, and the other guy says he ain't gonna buy anything, "you're 30¢ short of a quarter." Which is the same sort of hyperbole I was using.

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Sorry Paul, a lot of these people are not familiar with our particular nuanced brand of humor. I got what you were saying, though.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:50 pm
I figured everyone here got the point I was making that root beer, which has no alcohol, has more than Coors, which is clearly ridiculous.
Coors light has about 4.1% or 8.2 proof so your joke made no sense to me.