Three weeks

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Casual Observer

Re: Three weeks

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:04 pm
I am actually still driving it, in theory my car should be ready tomorrow, but wI am getting cut off constantly, partly because the thing has no pickup
By its specs, the Outback should have decent pickup, having a 2.5 lt engine and although it's massively heavy that should be big enough to move it along. I place all of the blame on the goddamn CVT transmission. But . . . I found a hack to deal with this. There are manual shift paddles on the steering wheel. I initially thought I had to put it in "manual" mode to use them but on a whim I tried pulling the downshift paddle while in drive and low and behold it shifted down the the next virtual gear. So, now, whenever I want to change lanes I just pull the downshift paddle at least a second before I want to make my move, it shifts down and I have the torque to jet in front of the California asshole who doesn't want to let anyone change lanes. Manual transmission would be better (you probably have a stick in your WRX, I'm jealous) but this makes the thing manageable.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
and partly because nobody respects it. It handles like shit, drives like shit,

I realized my chief priority in a car is to not let other people get over on me. So I did learn something about myself.
I've been thinking about this for a month now and I think the answer is best said by James Spader's Robert California character in The Office:
Robert California wrote:Robert: That was your choice, not mine. The fallacy is that it is up to the steamroller. It is up to the object... whether it will be flattened or not,
Meaning that I don't give a shit whether someone respects my car, if I want to change lanes I'm going to make it happen. If I had gone from a WRX to an Outback, I'm sure I would feel the same kind of let down. I previously had an '03 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) with a measly 1.8 lt engine. The only car I've ever had that people respected was a rental Camaro SS which I had for only a week. It's about aggressive driving, not the capabilities of the car.

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
SM X Sirius Satellite Radio is also complete shit.
What's most disappointing about the Sirius radio is that a measly tin roof or even trees will block the signal. Also, they have mostly shit channels. We just subscribed for a year because we like listening to MSNBC while driving.

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:34 pm
Also, they have mostly shit channels.
Well, I suppose if you have very specific tastes in entertainment, it may seem a bit lacking. What kind of stuff do you enjoy?
We just subscribed for a year because we like listening to MSNBC while driving.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:55 pm

MSNBC is the shiznet dude

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 am

I am at the point in my life where I dislike the radio on at all in the car. This stems from being forced to listen to classic rock and commercials ten hours a day at work for the last twenty five years.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 am

Aardvark all in his car like

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:41 am

That's me. I want quiet. I want mo-fo library quiet when I drive. I want to drive a bookmobile.

THE
NOISE CANCELLING
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 am

I rather like the CTV transmission. We had them in both our C-Max cars and have one in the Focus. Granted there's no super-vroom feeling when you floor the gas but there's no shift-lurch when you have the cruise control on and go up a hill either. It's a nice steady smooth ride, and quiet.

THE
HOLISTIC GEAR RATIO
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:05 am

Casual Observer wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:34 pm
I've been thinking about this for a month now and I think the answer is best said by James Spader's Robert California character in The Office:
Robert California wrote:Robert: That was your choice, not mine. The fallacy is that it is up to the steamroller. It is up to the object... whether it will be flattened or not,
Meaning that I don't give a shit whether someone respects my car, if I want to change lanes I'm going to make it happen. If I had gone from a WRX to an Outback, I'm sure I would feel the same kind of let down. I previously had an '03 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) with a measly 1.8 lt engine. The only car I've ever had that people respected was a rental Camaro SS which I had for only a week. It's about aggressive driving, not the capabilities of the car.
Maybe changing lanes isn't the best way to capture what I disliked about the Outback.

I will put at least a car's length between me and the next person. Usually more, of course. But you develop a sense, driving for three decades, as to whether or not some other moron in a different lane will try to get into the space you leave. It honestly doesn't happy as much in Colorado as it did in New York. If someone has their turn signal on I generally let them get in front of me. Why not? They got places to be, it's all very civilized. It's the fucking trash that can't let anyone know their intentions. Fuck 'em.

In that Outback I didn't have enough pickup to do anything about it, so I was constantly getting cut off by people barreling ahead of me.

Again, I want to reiterate what is going on here, because I feel it is very close to something that would sicken Pinback:

- Never letting anyone get ahead of you under any circumstances - I do NOT do this.
- Treating people who can't signal as people who obviously don't need to get ahead of me - sure, I do this, because living in an organized society is easy.
- Having no control over what happens in the road - all owners of Outbacks experience this.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
SM X Sirius Satellite Radio is also complete shit.
What's most disappointing about the Sirius radio is that a measly tin roof or even trees will block the signal. Also, they have mostly shit channels. We just subscribed for a year because we like listening to MSNBC while driving.
[/quote]

It wouldn't bug me if the Satellite stations didn't play the exact same music in the exact same order for the 70s/80s/90s/00s/10s channels. When it's worse than rando mode on a Microsoft Zune, you have a bad radio station.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:09 am

AArdvark wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 am
I am at the point in my life where I dislike the radio on at all in the car. This stems from being forced to listen to classic rock and commercials ten hours a day at work for the last twenty five years.
That's true. It is STUNNING to me how much Classic Rock is played in Rochester. That's all there is. That and whatever unlistenable pop is currently the new thing.

There at used to be WBER but they got weird with it last time I was home.

These are the last songs played on 96.5 WCMF according to their playlist:

Small Town, John Mellencamp (horrible song, one of the worst ever made)
Top Of The World, Van Halen (towards the bottom VH song)

They are apparently playing multiple songs by the same artist. Right Now, Runaround and Poundcake all by Van Halen. Hope you like Van Halen.

Then it's Sweet Child of Mine, Black Dog, Cemterfold and Welcome to the Machine. That's ... unchanged from when I was a senior in high school. How is anyone in Rochester not sick to death of those exact songs? Even if you love Guns n' Roses or Styx or what not, in the almost 30 years since I graduated high school, how are you not looking for the deep cuts?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:54 am

Sirius has, at last count, fifty-nine thousand channels. ONE of them is called "Deep Tracks", and if you're looking for music, and are not on that exact channel, you will hear, right now, on every other channel, in order: Sweet Child of Mine, Black Dog, Centerfold and Welcome to the Machine.

It's remarkable how determined the human race is to destroy the medium of radio, in whatever form it takes.

/crumples up paper.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 pm

The best thing about having Sirius is that you will never be lonely again because after you cancel they will call you every other month for the rest of your life trying to get you to sign back up.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 pm

They still send me re-up letters for three cars ago. The letters go straight into recycle city.

I will address the state of Rochester radio when I get on a real keyboard

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:45 pm

Right now it's Rocktober on WCMF. That means they play blocks of a particular feature rock group once an hour every day for the month.
Classic rock in general means they play the same songs every day in a different order. Think about it, Hotel California has been on the radio EVERY DAY since the album came out in .....1977 ( I looked it up). I've heard that song and many many others every day since 1992, except on Sundays. Wouldn't it be nice if there were rock songs played today that could be classic rock one day?

THE
THAT SHIP HAS
COME SAILED AWAY
AARDVARK