PosterPi

Text Adventures / General Discussion / Video Games. 2018 Update - after registering, the best way to get approved is to post as a guest in Orc's Head.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Flack

PosterPi

Post by Flack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:05 am

I've spent the past couple of weeks putting together something I've dubbed "PosterPi". It's a virtual picture frame that runs off of a Raspberry Pi and shows movie posters in random order. It's not much different than those old digital picture frames that everybody had 5-10 years ago; the biggest difference is that I bought a 50" TV for it to run off of.

One thing I didn't want was to have to log into the Pi to update the pictures, so instead I set up a mount to a read-only share on my server. You could use a USB stick or something else if you wanted to, too. Basically what I do is mount to my picture share, use FIND to get a list of files, shuffle that list, and then use FBI to show them in random order. Like everything else in Linux, there's probably a hundred different ways to do this. This is just the way I came up with.

I found a couple of large collections of movie posters on the Bay of Pirates, and a couple of websites that let you download them one at a time. One thing I hadn't considered was that when you blow pictures up on a 50" screen, resolution is important. I wrote a quick PowerShell script to dump the resolution of all my files. Anything less than 500px wide (in portrait mode) looks terrible. BTW, I got the 50" television from Walmart.com for $199 (free shipping).

Right now I've got $200 in the TV, ~$50 in another Pi, and ~$50 in a vertical wall mount (which is on its way). Once that arrives, I'm going to mount the television vertically outside my movie room, possibly adding a "Now Playing" sign over the top.

"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

AArdvark

Re: PosterPi

Post by AArdvark » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:49 am

That's awesome! Truly the future is nigh. Who woulda thunk something like this would even been possible back in the late 70s

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:52 am

Who knew screens were going to get so big. And small. And flat.

The original magnetic movie poster frame I saw at Hobby Lobby was $75, and that doesn't include the cost of posters. This wasn't that much more, and I like the tech factor. I'm also thinking about assembling a list of a bunch of album covers; maybe arranging them vertically with a picture of the album up top and (if I can find them) a picture of the vinyl record below. Just something to change it up occasionally.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:05 am

That is neat.

I bet this one would look cool on it lit up..