Wal*Mart is gunning for Amazon

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Wal*Mart is gunning for Amazon

Post by Tdarcos » Sun May 06, 2018 12:25 am

I was watching a commercial on USA network where Walmart has announced 2-day free shipping on all orders with no membership fees; that last point they emphasized.

Looks like Walmart is going after Amazon.com and is putting them right into the crosshairs. Amazon's excellent Prime service - I've paid the $95 a year fee myself for about two or three years - gets free shipping on most orders (as well as a few other things such as many free video products on their streaming service.)

This is clearly a big thing for Walmart to propose, being one of a very small number of companies that have the logistics and resources to go after Amazon's biggest cash cow, Amazon Prime, and the #1 reason people pay almost $100 a year for it, the free shipping. (I've watched a lot of shows on Amazon Video including the first six seasons of Suits and all of Star Trek:Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager, although I didn't even know about Amazon Prime's video and music services until months after I'd subscribed.)

This is huge and I think it becomes a game changer for the entire retail market. Now the only question is:

Do you think both will be able to keep up this new fight, or who "blinks" and how?
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

Flack

Re: Wal*Mart is gunning for Amazon

Post by Flack » Sun May 06, 2018 6:36 am

Walmart launched this service four months ago, back in January. It's not free shipping on all orders. The items have to be from their approved list, and there's a $35 minimum. Also, Amazon Prime is $99 a year, not $95, and in June it goes up $20 to $119.

Sounds like Walmart is capitalizing on Amazon's price hike to re-push their free shipping service. (I suspect Amazon will counter with ads about all the other perks that come with Prime.) The fact that most people don't know about Walmart's free shipping program isn't their biggest hurdle; it's that for the past 10+ years, the battle between Amazon and Walmart has been pushed as the online giant vs. the world's largest brick and mortar chain. Walmart will have to change people's perception and push the idea that they're in the online game if they're going to compete with Amazon in that space. I have never heard anyone say, "I need to order something online, I better check Walmart.com."
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun May 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Great point - I will go check Walmart wh-- let me back up.

I'll go to Walmart, it's fine, if they were closer I'd go there all the time. Everywhere I've lived they are just a bit farther than other places. And then the one got shot up in Thornton, where I used to live. I don't hold that against them but I felt like mentioning it.

God, this post is a mess. It's all over the place. I had no idea that they shipped stuff for free. Tdarcos did a better job getting the message out then Walmart, a giant corporation, did. Why don't people buy five second ads in front of Youtube videos? On some of my browsers at work I can't put ad blocking software because it ruins my tests, yet I watch videos anyway. "Walmart does two day shipping for free!" could be in front of the latest dubstep video I clicked on and I would be like, "Oh, good to know" and not skip it.

This is why:

"We're storytellers." -- ad people

Sorry, this post really is all over the place. I keep going with Amazon because if something gets stolen from our house they cover it. I don't think Walmart does. If they do, well, there's another five second ad.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun May 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Free 2-day shipping is a tough sell for Walmart when most people can just drive a little bit down the road and pick it up themselves.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Also, I don't know what the big sell is on Amazon Prime, I just make sure I spend more than $25 and it ships for free anyways. I've never had to wait or received slow service because of the free shipping, as soon as the seller receives payment they immediately ship out my purchase and I get it in a couple of days.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun May 06, 2018 2:04 pm

I donut like when Amazon dipped into my credit card and helped themselves to a re-up on my prime membership. I canceled it a day later.
Turns out someone checked the box marked 'let us auto re-up your shit.'

It wasn't me, but it was someone I know and love so she gets a pass.

THE NEWBEE
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun May 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Also guys, we can swear on Jolt Country so we don't have to write it as Wal*Mart.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon May 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Being in a wheelchair means being able to order even a $7 item and get free shipping an important reason I take prime. I don't have to wait or "bulk up" orders to get to the free shipping point without it. Plus, now that I know about the free videos and such might make it worth it.

However... As I mentioned the landlord stopped paying last month for cable TV and Internet so I'm having to cough up $171, now divided 3 ways since the other guy moved out. The landlord says someone is moving in and presumably will want Cable TV and/or Internet which might help by being a 4-way split, so due to that plus about $30 a month for the cat, I might drop Amazon Prime.
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Mon May 07, 2018 11:12 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 pm
Also, I don't know what the big sell is on Amazon Prime, I just make sure I spend more than $25 and it ships for free anyways. I've never had to wait or received slow service because of the free shipping, as soon as the seller receives payment they immediately ship out my purchase and I get it in a couple of days.
the fun part is the freedom of ordering whatever stupid cheap thing that i dont want to bother searching for across multiple retail stores. For example, a stupid woven grass ball for the wife's bunny that costs only $4 and arrives 2 days later for zero shipping instead of me driving to 6 stores that don't have it. Being "treated like a douche" in 2018 is being slave to the suburban retail time wasting paradigm.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Mon May 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:18 pm
plus about $30 a month for the cat, I might drop Amazon Prime.
wait a second Paul. I hope you're not saying that your slumlord is charging you an extra $30 a month for your cat. Please confirm what you mean because I don't think we as a community can stand by while one of our denizens is outright fucked by a shithole slumlord who thinks he can upcharge for a pet while barely meeting code and legit rental practices(it's not common practice to make tenants share utilities, for ex). Seriously, our little community has enough disposable resources to help you stand up for your rights in landlord tenant court

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue May 08, 2018 3:51 am

I'm sure he is referring to the cost of supplies like food and litter.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm

pinback wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:51 am
that makes sense, I probably thought that because my slumlord charges me an extra $50 for my old ass cat.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 pm

I don't really see Walmart ever beating out Amazon. They sort of messed that up when they built stores in every fucking town and ran smaller stores out. Like Billy Mays said, people (me included) will just drive to the store to buy it. I bought my last phone and Samsung TV from Walmart. In both cases there weren't any left out but they had them in the back.. I checked Walmart.com for in-store quantities first. I still like actual stores for many items. Skateboards, shoes, etc. I'd prefer to actually touch it first and support someone other than a corporate seller.

I also have Amazon prime though. Like also mentioned.. I went years without it because I normally qualified for free shipping anyway. But eventually I tried the video service on and enjoyed it.. plus it was cheaper than Netflix which I got burnt out on. Now I order a lot of random small things from Amazon like network cables, soldering supplies, and most recently I even bought some RAM over Amazon for the first time instead of New Egg.

And yeah Aardvark my girlfriend got burned by the checkbox! I think she signed up for a "month free" or some crap when ordering things for Christmas. When she contacted them though they promptly refunded the fee for a year of Amazon Prime. At the time I already had a Prime subscription too in my name haha. Sneaky!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm
pinback wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:51 am
that makes sense, I probably thought that because my slumlord charges me an extra $50 for my old ass cat.
Is ... is this a plea for us to stick up for you in the way you would have had us stick up for the Commander?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Wed May 09, 2018 2:05 pm

The only reason I haven't switched over to mainly online purchasing is because of self checkout registers, I like not having to talk to anyone. I'll sign up for Prime and abandon retail stores when Amazon starts delivering fuel to vehicles somehow.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed May 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:05 pm
when Amazon starts delivering fuel to vehicles somehow.
Not by Amazon yet but here in the Bay area and a few other metro areas we have that already: Booster, EZfill for example.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri May 11, 2018 6:44 am

Casual Observer wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:20 pm
Tdarcos wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:18 pm
plus about $30 a month for the cat, I might drop Amazon Prime.
wait a second Paul. I hope you're not saying that your slumlord is charging you an extra $30 a month for your cat.
No, but cat food is not free. The cheapest 5.5oz cans are 50c each, and he needs about two a day.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Fri May 11, 2018 2:14 pm

So the cat will be in a wheelchair in the next two years?

I'm kidding of course, Toonces would eat a can of that glop every half hour if I let him. He's limited to 1/2 can a day and some dry food.

Self checkouts have been a bane to me. It seems every time I use one something stupid happens that a human needs to come by and swipe-correct. If it's a torn UPC sticker or: 'This product weighs too much to place on the conveyor. Help is being called, please stand by." I tried to explain to the machine that I don't find the item too heavy, but nooooo, the machine wants what the machine wants and there will be NO wiggle room from any Human, unless they have a managers swipe-lanyard. Hmmph! You know what I think of self checkouts now.

THE
NEW DENT IN
THE HOUSING
AARDVARK