This is a wierd, this is a strange

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

This is a wierd, this is a strange

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm

I don't know what to make of this except to call it a "wierd." Or call it a "strange." I can't figure out what happened.

Earlier today the downstairs guy gives me his piece of the cable bill in cash and I write him a receipt. Comcast's office is one block away, across the street. I decide to go over there, write a check for that amount, then deposit the money so I don't spend it. So I notice the bill that says "Comcast" and I prepare to go across the street, getting my coat and high-visibility vest, then I write a check, stuff the cat in my room, close the door so he can't escape, pick up the papers, pick up the check, put them in my pouch, zip it up, leave, arrive at Comcast, roll over to the self-service payment kiosk, pull out the bill papers.

"Wells Fargo Cashwise Signature Visa"

Stupid, stupid, stupid, I picked up the wrong bill. So now I have to go home, pick up the correct papers, then come back again.

So I go home. The bill for Comcast is not here. It's not part of any other papers. I had not thrown anything away. The cat wasn't out here so it could not have knocked something around. There are no papers on the floor. The bill from Comcast has vortexed out of existence.

Okay, let the cat out for a while, go on Comcast's web site and print the PDF of a bill page. Now go back and try again. No problem.

I could understand if I had left them behind but they are gone. Nobody comes around the first floor this time of day, and besides, who steals a bill?

This makes no sense, I don't understand what happened, and I can't figure it out. I'd say I imagined the bill but it was too clear and regular to just be an hallucination. Besides, if I'm going to hallucinate it should be something fun like a pretty girl or a bucket of cash.
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

pinback

Re: This is a wierd, this is a strange

Post by pinback » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm

"Weird".
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:21 pm

That is weird. Could there be some kind of alternative reality manifesting itself in your room?

Or could it be like that guy in A Beautiful Mind?

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Do they make high-visibility vests for cats? I'd kick in $5 toward a matching one.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:32 pm

The likely culprit here is that you live in a disorganized mess and finding anything is next to impossible. In the event that you lived in a clean house, like I'm assuming the rest of us do, the conclusion of this story would have been: "Oh, there is my cable bill on that perfectly clean table with just the cable bill on it."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 am

Flack wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm
Do they make high-visibility vests for cats? I'd kick in $5 toward a matching one.
Now that would be cool!

OK Tdarcos, I'm actually being completely serious here: Do you think there is a chance that instead you had a vivid dream about the placement of the cable bill? I've had an experience or two with that and it can be quite confusing at first.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:16 am

I feel like I was too harsh on Paul here, it was the wrong thing to do and for that I apologize.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Why are we all glossing over the most important part here? In a house full of ably-walking humans and a cat, they send the only cripple to pay a bill? Why can't one of these meth-heads just WALK over there?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Yeah, why do YOU have to do the, pardon the pun, leg work?

THE
ONLY SOBER ONE
IN THE HOUSE
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:00 pm

The Happiness Engine wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:40 pm
Why are we all glossing over the most important part here? In a house full of ably-walking humans and a cat, they send the only cripple to pay a bill? Why can't one of these meth-heads just WALK over there?
The landlord kicked out the guy who was smoking MJ six months ago. Nobody here is smoking anything.
AArdvark wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm
Yeah, why do YOU have to do the, pardon the pun, leg work?
Because I subscribed to Comcast TV/Internet, copied the bill and broke it into four parts. I said on the note I gave everyone about 15 days ago that I needed the money by the 20th in order to pay the bill by the 24th. Only the guy downstairs has paid me. If the other two don't come up with their pieces, I'll pay the remainder of the bill out of my pocket, cancel the service, get FIOS Internet from Verizon, and leave them to decide if they want TV and they can pay for it. I haven't watched TV in years, I can live without it.

I had a bad feeling i should have let someone else here take over the cable. Then it's their problem.
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:50 am

Tdarcos dude come on man answer my question haha

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:27 pm

We think you may be hallucinating, Commander. Or at least - and we say this with no malice - there's a chance?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 pm

Let's ask the question a different way.

"Commander, have you recently eaten a bland thin-crust pizza shaped like a cable bill?"
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon May 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Flack wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 pm
Let's ask the question a different way.

"Commander, have you recently eaten a bland thin-crust pizza shaped like a cable bill?"
I've tasted paper, there is absolutely no way I could eat anything made of paper and not be instantly aware.

It's like alcohol, every single thing I've ever had with alcohol tasted terrible, it's impossible to sneak anything past me. This makes it very fortunate for me that I'm a lifelong teetotaler, alcoholism runs in our family.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Oh by the way, Jonsey, your special word highlighting system has to use [font] instead of <font> as the word I used in the previous message for "someone who completely abstains from alcohol" was marked with HTML instead of BBCode.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Tue May 08, 2018 4:17 pm

TDarcos wrote: It's like alcohol, every single thing I've ever had with alcohol tasted terrible, it's impossible to sneak anything past me. This makes it very fortunate for me that I'm a lifelong <font color=lightgreen size=24>teetotaler</font>, alcoholism runs in our family.
Yeah I've got a bit of that in my family.. plus being part Creek Indian I.. well.. let's just say I reeeaallly like beer. If I didn't drink it at such a young age there's a chance I'd hate the taste. I also can't have "booze" (hard stuff) in my house and I don't touch it anywhere unless it's a special occasion. I drank a bottle of Jagermeister over New Years and I had 3 margaritas at a Cinco De Mayo party I was recently invited to. Probably would touch anything like that again this year until another holiday like perhaps Halloween. Figure I shouldn't trust myself to have it any more often than that.

You also still haven't answered my question, Paul. I'm curious.. do you ever get "deja vu" or dream about things that may or may not happen in waking life?

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:28 pm
It's like alcohol, every single thing I've ever had with alcohol tasted terrible, it's impossible to sneak anything past me.
hold on, you said that you tried alcohol once and hated it. Now you've tried lots of kinds and can devine any alcohol that someone tries to trick you with?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat May 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Jizaboz wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:17 pm
You also still haven't answered my question, Paul. I'm curious.. do you ever get "deja vu" or dream about things that may or may not happen in waking life?
Yes, on occasion I've seen things that weren't there or were completely wrong. Sometimes I've halucinated something or misunderstood where I was so that as a video was running where I might have been partly asleep I thought I was taking part in the conversation and attempted to do something in response.
Casual Observer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 pm
Tdarcos wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:28 pm
It's like alcohol, every single thing I've ever had with alcohol tasted terrible, it's impossible to sneak anything past me.
hold on, you said that you tried alcohol once and hated it. Now you've tried lots of kinds and can devine any alcohol that someone tries to trick you with?
I tried drinking something alcoholic once, it tasted horrible. I have tried other foods cooked or prepared using alcohol such as rum cake with the same problem.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat May 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Can we get a list of the rum-based foods you have tried? I have had rum cake but not rum ham, for instance.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun May 13, 2018 6:30 am

Tdarcos wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:04 pm
I have tried other foods cooked or prepared using alcohol such as rum cake with the same problem.
Saying that you don't like the taste of alcohol is preposterous, you just didn't enjoy the one time you tried it. There are millions of different drinks and brands and combinations, you would eventually find something you really enjoyed. I don't really drink myself, I'd like to become a heavy drinker one day like some of the people here, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I had some whiskey cake before and it was delightful.