The Pinback Fat Thread

Funny threads throughout the site's history.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

pinback

Re: The Pinback Fat Thread

Post by pinback » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:29 pm

AArdvark wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 pm
I forgot to ask earlier. Ben, is this diet plan sustainable for the long haul? I don't want you to Oprah yo-yo for the next decade. I mean the cigarette gum and the bennies, are they going to help you maintain?
People are fat and addicted because they seek peace and fulfillment in the form of external, objective experience. When the next cheeseburger or next drink is consumed, the search temporarily ends, and this fragile form of peace and fulfillment is attained... for a while. After that while, the peace that was momentarily revealed is once again veiled by tension and dissatisfaction. Since the external, objective experience was assumed to be the source of the peace, it is sought -- and in this case, consumed -- again. On and on, until you're hungover every morning and weigh 317 pounds.

Any diet in which you run a caloric deficit will be effective in losing weight. There's probably other science to it I don't understand, but that does seem to be the one reliable way to achieve results. However, if the cycle of searching for external, objective experience to attain peace and fulfillment is not broken, every diet, no matter how effective, has the potential for (and indeed, likelihood of) being broken, or later yo-yoing.

It is for this reason that the third element of my approach -- meditation -- is the most vital. Through this practice, we find an infinite source of peace and fulfillment that is available within, at all times. Once this pool of unlimited peace and fulfillment is found, the urge to seek that peace and fulfillment through external means dissipates. The diet itself becomes a peaceful journey, the goal a peaceful destination, and the fraudulent promise of the mind -- that what you seek lies outside yourself in the realm of external, object experience; the next flavor, the next buzz -- is exposed as the destructive lie it has always been.

To answer your question more directly: I wouldn't worry about it.

(And I'm not taking bennies.)
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:41 am

WEEKLY UPDATE
==============
Weeks to go: 36
Pounds to 200: 4
Pounds to 190: 14
Pounds to 0: 204

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:57 am

Your earlier comment about being addicted to peace and fulfillment is accurate. It's nice to eat for pleasure in these trying times. Now that I fully understand what is happening it would be too easy to make changes.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:26 am

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:43 am

It is the best feeling. I am so happy for you. Look at you. LOOK AT YOU.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:53 am

"Does this hat make me look fat?"

Let's get everyone on the forum to pause everything for two minutes and congratulate Pinback on his achievement. Weight loss is fucking hard (if it weren't, people wouldn't have weight problems).

Sir, I congratulate you on your achievement. When any of us win, we all win. But mostly the winner wins, which is you.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 am

Congratulations!

twinback!

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:49 pm

Thank you everyone. This is the first and only time I have allowed myself to feel a touch of pride and accomplishment from this. The rest of the time, the only emotion accompanying this journey has been one of immense, humble gratitude.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Holy crap! Mina lost one of her fathers. Way to go!

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:17 pm

AArdvark wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:54 pm
Mina lost one of her fathers.
And not for the first time!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:23 pm

Holy shit you look amazing! I mean, oddly broiled, but definitely GREAT!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:38 pm

....WAIT. waitwaitwaitwait. Have you just spent the last 3 months on a human-sized 7-11 hotdog cooker WITHOUT telling us?!

Real Talk: My girlfriend thought that was 2 different people cosplaying each other.

bryanb

Post by bryanb » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:03 pm

I feel like Ben took a long, hard look in the mirror one day, didn't like what he saw, and then decided to go kick that guy's ass. Losing weight and stopping drinking are two of the hardest things anyone can accomplish, and Ben has almost made the road to fitness and sobriety look easy. I think it's safe to say that if this thread had appeared before the June Fatass Challenge (or been the June Fatass Challenge) that coolcatmckell would still be with us and enriching our virtual lives each day. There was a quote from Confucius that popped into my head because it seemed relevant to Ben's journey, but then I looked it up and found out it had to do with ancestor worship and filial piety which made it suddenly seem much less relevant. Nonetheless, I'll share it:

---
2:5 Meng I Tzu asked about the meaning of filial piety. Confucius said, "It means 'not diverging (from your parents).'"" Later, when Fan Chih was driving him, Confucius told Fan Chih, "Meng Sun asked me about the meaning of filial piety, and I told him 'not diverging.'" Fan Chih said, "What did you mean by that?" Confucius said, "When your parents are alive, serve them with propriety; when they die, bury them with propriety, and then worship them with propriety."
---

Alas, the Confucius of reality is less interesting than the Confucius of possibility. "Not diverging" is the part I wanted to emphasize because that's what Ben has done. He's been totally committed to an idea and hasn't willfully diverged from it. That doesn't mean he's been perfect or that hasn't come short of his own expectations at times, but it hasn't mattered in the bigger picture because he's been dedicated, focused, and resilient. It's been an incredibly impressive display, and we can all learn from it.

I wonder what Ben's new normal will look like. When you've lost the weight, do you go back to regular meals and eating with the family? Can you eat your favorite foods again? Can you ever overeat? Can you drink a beer with your wife or get drunk with friends from out of town? Can you ever relax the discipline or does that just lead you on a path that will ultimately take you back exactly where you were before?

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:58 am

bryanb wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:03 pm
When you've lost the weight, do you go back to regular meals and eating with the family?
I think the main differences from the present routine will be: the meal types will remain similar, but the sizes will be slightly larger. According to my barely-even-a-tiny-bit-scientific guess, I think I'm running about a 1,000 calorie deficit per day. So, we get to fill that up with stuff.
Can you eat your favorite foods again? Can you ever overeat?
The radical shift in consciousness, the inner transformation, which has manifested in the external transformation I posted a picture of, has rendered "eating my favorite foods" almost powerless. I can imagine a Blake's Lotaburger green chile cheeseburger sitting next to a bowl of unseasoned, steamed broccoli, and while I realize the cheeseburger would be more pleasurable, that holds little sway with the decision made... I still like tasty stuff, I just don't care if I ever get to eat it anymore.
Can you drink a beer with your wife or get drunk with friends from out of town?
Probably. As mentioned elsewhere, I've actually "dipped a toe back in", more as an experiment than anything, and the exact same pattern mentioned above is present. There is such fulfillment available, at all times, without needing something else, that the prospect of getting drunk no longer holds any value, and the prospect of being hungover remains a strong dissuasion. That being said, I do like a nice cold one, so that'll probably happen from time to time.
Can you ever relax the discipline
This is the key, here. Once the infinite source of inner peace and fulfillment is located, there is no discipline required, and success is already assured. It unfolds naturally. Easily. Effortlessly.
does that just lead you on a path that will ultimately take you back exactly where you were before?
It seems unlikely. Two concessions:

1. I've given up guessing what's going to happen, so all the above might be for shit and I'll be 350 in two years.
2. Although it has largely been a path of "effortless unfolding", I... I'd rather not have to do it again. So yeah. Let's maintain.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:40 am

To sum all of this up, I will leave you with my favorite quote from Nisargadatta Maharaj, noted old, dead, nondualist mensch, who said:
Nis wrote: Pleasure is a distraction and a nuisance, for it merely increases the false conviction that one needs to have and do things to be happy, when in reality it is just the opposite.
When you first read this, it either seems like a ridiculous idea, or a good idea. Once it is realized and lived, the idea dissolves, and it is seen to be absolute truth.

Nice going, N.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:10 pm

“I just don’t care to eat it anymore” is a good mindset. Most of the bad-for-you commercial foods I have enjoyed since the 1980s have completely changed so I really can’t be fucking bothered! Wendy’s, Mc Donald’s, Pizza Hut, etc.. you people can’t agree rap took a huge dive after 1998 but can we all agree these types of foods took a huge dive after 1988?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:54 am

they tried to make fast food more healthy, which is some kind of oxymoron, and all they did was mess up the good flavors

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri May 01, 2020 4:34 am

FINAL WEEKLY UPDATE
===================

This journey will continue for a while, but as far as this thread is concerned, I consider the matter closed.

I'll leave this thread open over the weekend for comments, questions, reflections, etc. After that, it will be closed forever.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 am

pinback wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:49 pm
Thank you everyone. This is the first and only time I have allowed myself to feel a touch of pride and accomplishment from this.
"That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps." - Marcellis Wallace, Pulp Fiction
"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch."
-The Weeknd, Blinding Lights

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Fri May 01, 2020 7:32 am

The next thing you should work on are those feet. Disgraceful.