Flack

Upcoming Concerts

Post by Flack »

Upcoming shows I'm planning to attend:

11.19.18 - Phil Anselmo and the Illegals
01.20.19 - Corrosion of Conformity w/Weedeater, Mothership, and the Obsessed
03.02.19 - Clutch
03.27.19 - Pixies w/Weezer

Any upcoming shows you're planning to see?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Re: Upcoming Concerts

Post by AArdvark »

Tomorrow!

Get The led Out. America's Led Zeppelin

THE
PHYSICAL
GRAFFITI
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

Aw, man! They played here in September and I missed it! I hope it's a great show.

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

I may go see Negative Approach in December. They're opening (I think) for Leftover Crack, about whom I know nothing.

COC play here in February - that'd be pretty fun. Crowbar instead of Weedeater on the opening acts. I haven't listened to them much in years - have you heard the new album?

I just saw Fucked Up, which was the best show I've seen in years and I'd highly recommend them to pretty much anyone.

Flack

Post by Flack »

The new COC is pretty good -- more "Deliverance"-era sound with Pepper back on vox.

You would think at a COC/Crowbar show they might play a couple of Down tracks. That would be fun.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Great question. The Maine is coming to Denver down the street from me in April. The reason I knew is because Songkick tells me when dates are announced for bands that I like as soon as they exist. You guys may remember The Maine as that band you hated in my list.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Great show!

Flack

Post by Flack »

The boy and I just got back from the Phil Anselmo show. Like the other stops on the tour, he played 5 Illegals songs and then 5-6 Pantera songs. I never thought I would hear Phil singing those live again. Also, Mason got to experience a real pit for the first time.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Here's something I put together last night/this morning that will interest almost nobody. It's a list of every band I've seen, and when I saw them. There are a couple of holes, and I'm sure I'm missing more than a couple of bands, but it's 95% complete.

Google Sheet Link

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

Fugazi and Unwound? Holy shit.

Flack

Post by Flack »

So, here's my funny story about that show.

In 1995 I was not a Fugazi fan, but I was a Minor Threat fan, which is why I went. The show was at the Diamond Ballroom, which I might as well tell you about now. The Diamond Ballroom is an old country and western dance hall. It has wooden floors and hanging on the walls are all these huge oil paintings of country singers from the 70s, like Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton. There's a bar off to one side, but if you buy a drink you have to stay in the bar area because they freak out if anyone spills a drink on their pristine wooden floors. (It would ruin the line dancing, apparently.) But the Diamond Ballroom constantly books shows. In the next week alone, they have Cannibal Corpse (11/21), Bone Thugs N' Harmony (11/23), and Good Charlotte (11/27). The Diamond is where I'm going to see Corrosion of Conformity (in January) and Clutch (in March).

Anyway. Right when you walk in, there is (or at least was) a payphone booth. When my friend and I got to the show, we're standing in line, waiting to be frisked, and just past the door you can see the payphone booth. Inside it, this homeless looking guy is standing, obviously searching for a quarter. He's checking his backpack, and his pockets, and everywhere, and can't find a quarter anywhere. A minute or two later after we entered the Diamond, I pulled a quarter out of my pocket, knocked on the glass booth, and handed the guy a quarter. He looked like he needed it, and I'm a nice guy like that. He said thanks.

An hour later, I see the guy again. He's on stage, singing for Fugazi. It's Ian MacKaye.

So, the joke between my friends and I became that Ian MacKaye still owes me a quarter.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Haha that is a good story about Ian MacKaye!

There's not really anything coming up I care to see. I don't go to GWAR shows since Dave died, and I absolutely HATE going to outdoor pavilions in the summer (Last one was seeing The Cure in Charlotte during the summer.. never again. I skipped seeing Iron Maiden because fuck that place).

I still want to see Dinosaur Jr. or Jay Mascis one day. I missed them the last time they played local a few years back.. think I was in the middle of divorce crap at the time. No upcoming tour dates for Dinosaur Jr. No upcoming dates for The Meatmen.

My list of concerts I've been to isn't very long:

1. Jet Crown Dixie (high school teacher's band)
2. The Meatmen and GWAR
3. Fugazi
4. Filter
5. Danzig
6. GWAR (another 15-20 times)
7. Jane's Addiction
8. Sonic Youth (4 times)
9. The Cure
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Here's my dumb Danzig story (and no, he doesn't owe me a quarter, haha). My friend and I saw Danzig play at this club. After the show was over, my friend and I were standing there and still talking in the general admission standing area and hadn't noticed that almost everyone else had left. I guess Danzig's drummer took that as a sign that we were super fans or something so he stands up and throws a drumstick (hard) right at us. Of course I was talking to my friend and not paying attention so all of a sudden this freakin' drumstick hits me in the side of the head. Then my friend sees it and picks it up and kept it. I always felt like the rule should be if it hits you in the head you should be the one to get to keep it, but my friend did not agree. He still has the stick.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Haha now this one I have heard but I am glad this is now JC record.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

I wasn't planning to go, but my wife happened across four nosebleed (cheap) tickets at the last minute so she, I, and the kids went to see Kiss last night on their End of the Road: Farewell tour.

I don't dislike Kiss, but they wouldn't make my list of top 20 bands. I can easily rattle off a list of reasons why not to see Kiss live. Let's see, off the top of my head:

- No Ace, no Peter Criss.
- Paul Stanley is 67 years old; Gene will be 70 this summer.
- Paul can't really sing anymore.
- Gene Simmons is a jerk.

So why see them at all? Because I never did, and I don't own a time machine, so seeing "farewell" Kiss is better than having never seen them at all. Besides, between all the lights, lasers, fog, fire, and fake blood, how important is the band? ;)

Paul can't jump as high as he used to, or hit the high notes like he used to, and it looks like Gene was hiding a few extra pounds underneath that armor of his. So what? It was pretty cool to see Gene and Tommy sent over the crowd on giant rotating swing arms as they played. My kids don't know and won't remember that the guys are getting old. Hopefully they'll just remember that one time when they were kids, their parents took them to see Kiss on their farewell tour.

Flack

Post by Flack »

It was an ordeal getting to and from this show -- I drove 3 kids 100+ miles to Tulsa, checked into a hotel room, walked to the show, rocked for a few hours, got back to the hotel room around 11:30 pm, and woke up at 4 am to get back home by 6 am so that the kids could get to school and the wife and I could make it to work. That said, 100% worth it. The Pixies were great, and co-headliners Weezer blew them away. 8th row on the floor was a good place to be.