3D Printing

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Re: 3D Printing

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 amAlso you can have a spare key printed at an automated kiosk at Walmart for $5. Who knew?
Also you can have a spare key ground at a manual kiosk at Home Depot for $1.97. As people have known hardware stores have done for over 70 years.

That price of $5 is insane. Let's not go crazy here. Automation is supposed to make things cheaper. It's probably because it's brand-new so they're charging extra for the novelty. Okay, I'll admit when I first saw one at Rite Aid I decided to try it. I ended up paying $6 for the combined key and bottle opener. One thing the machine did was require I give my fingerprint three times.

So when Home Depot offered the automated machine I decided to check it out. It only did Kwikset 66 and 68 keys, you just choose the correct blank, which ranged in price from $1.97 to $3.50. No extra charge to cut the key. And it worked just fine.

I broke the front door lock and had to buy replacement keys. I noticed Home Depot had removed the automated machine. So I asked the keycutter what happened. He said people couldn't follow the instructions, they kept bringing their keys back. I thought this was ridiculous; the instructions were basically to insert original, wait for the machine to be sure the key is straight, then insert the blank to cut.

Also, I suspect the Walmart automated key machine does not print keys; that would take too long. The machine probably just cuts and grinds key blanks the way locksmiths and hardware store clerks have done for decades.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I hereby concede that you know everything there is to know about having spare keys made, including (but not limited to) every place in North America that offers the service, what they charge, and your thoughts on the prices they charge. We can officially consider the topic of having spare and/or replacement keys made most thoroughly and completely covered.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Well, yeah, obviously they're not 3d printing keys. Those would suck ass and break instantly.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

3d printed guns can't work because of gas pressure. I mean, they can blow your hand off like a poorly-considered cherry-bomb, but that's about it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Here's a short video about the Liberator, the first publicly-released 3D printable model.

In case you didn't catch it, you can print everything but the firing pin, which in this case is just a nail. Also, in case you didn't catch it, some of the test models exploded when firing (see HE's cherry-bomb comment above).

There are a few different filaments for 3D printers. There's PLA, which is what I use. It's cheap and not terribly strong. It's all I've printed with. Then there's ABS, which is a little stronger, but a little more difficult to print with. That's what those guns above were printed with. There are other kinds of filaments available, but each kind requires calibration, special parts, and trial and error to get working.

I don't really like to talk about guns because I just don't like to argue with people about what they believe and what I believe, but the fact of the matter is I bought a gun one day during my lunch break at a gun shop because I was there with a friend and I was bored. Several years ago, my dad and I were at the fairgrounds and wandered into a gun show and he bought an AK-47 just because he thought it was neat. Either one of those guns cost way less than a 3D printer, are a lot simpler to get working, and have an infinitely less chance of blowing your hand off when firing them. I understand the argument about being able to 3D print firearms, but at least here in the midwest, it's way easier to just go buy one. Go to armslist [dot] com, type "AK-47" in the search window, and narrow it down to your state.

The Happiness Engine

This is %99 correct, except the rifle in question will be an AKM-74 or a chinese SKS copy, because no one has WW2 guns laying around THAT MUCH anymore. Sorry to Commander this thread.

If you need a murderin' rifle, this is a good choice.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It must be cool to be able to walk into a gun store and buy stuff without six pounds of red tape.

THE
WELCOME TO
NEW YORK
AARDVARK

P.S. Commandering a topic is my new favorite term on this board.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

AArdvark wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:17 pm It must be cool to be able to walk into a gun store and buy stuff without six pounds of red tape.

THE
WELCOME TO
NEW YORK
AARDVARK

P.S. Commandering a topic is my new favorite term on this board.
Yeah, my mom seemed pissed about that while supporting trump even though she's mentally ill so couldn't own a gun anywhere in the country (probably? hopefully?). I know the cops took my dads rifles out of the house one of the times she was mental health arrested, about 30 years ago.

I'm not up on what NY did, can't you still go to a gun show?

Flack

Post by Flack »

As a point of reference, in Oklahoma to purchase a handgun from a store you have to be 21, present your driver's license, and pass a background check. The background check ensures that you are a US citizen, aren't a felon, and a couple of other things. IIRC, it took 5-10 minutes. My buddy and I were both able to buy guns, pick up Taco Bell, and make it back to work within 30 minutes.

Private sellers are not required to follow any of those rules, although many will ask for your ID and make sure you are 21.

Around here, "assault" looking rifles sell for less than a good hunting rifle.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I started printing a bottle opener today after work. I went downstairs to get a drink, got sidetracked, and found this beauty waiting for me when I came back upstairs. I have to remind myself, "art," not "science."

Casual Observer

looks like something out of Beetlejuice

The Happiness Engine

you 3D printed a The Thing.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Have you tried opening up a bottle with it yet?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Audience: laughs
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Nope, but this one worked much better. Some of my team are in town this week so I printed a few of these, each one personalized with their names printed on them. It looks a little weird this close (and with the raft base still attached) but in real life they look pretty good. I don't think they will last forever but I opened a few bottles at Fassler Hall the other night and it worked great.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

My smart nephew printed a V8 engine. I guess he's going to print all the parts and hook up a motor to make it move

Casual Observer

I've always wanted to build one of those real working mini engines, like a Sterling maybe. Hopefully sometime I'll have time for hobbies like that.