Great Moments in Computer Programming

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: Great Moments in Computer Programming

Post by AArdvark »

You know, I'm starting to think he hears voices in his head that tell him things he believes are real.

I tried looking up that thing about Lucas/ Spielberg and got zilch.

THE
INTERIOR FAKE NEWS
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This... I mean, every time I go to use their crap, I just shake my head on the decisions they make.

So I need some off-site storage for RAW files. I have heard that Amazon will give you unlimited storage for RAW files. I had heard that some people use Microsoft Onedrive for it. I don't really use much Microsoft stuff these days and I think I remember that Flack said that he uses OneDrive, so I thought I would give it a try.

It's tied to my Xbox account. Great, sort of. I login. Now, keep in mind - I have never used OneDrive before:

... You can't do this.

You cannot fucking do this.

The first screen that I didn't get a screenshot of said that due to "inactivity," they were going to freeze my account in October. Huh? I've never logged into OneDrive before. I would write that up as a bug and not ship until it was fixed. Pretty easy to replicate to - simply sign in and log on.

But more than that. They want 24 hours to "unfreeze" my account? Really? I was going to start sending over content while I was at work and not tie up the cable modem. There is a delay for users to register an account here and I hate it, it bugs me all the time. The richest corporation in the history of the world wants me to chill for 24 hours? It's a free service, which means they are probably scanning the shit out of my photos or whatever. Creepy, but I was OK with it. What are the odds that after 24 hours a Microsoft product is going to suddenly work? Does anyone think that the UI and backend are working together?

It's amazing that they got this big. Thanks but I'll be fine, dumbfucks, I'll alt-tab over to Amazon and go with them. Good Christ.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I have an good one too, I think. I happened today.

I've got an email from GMail that I should disable "insecure access" to my mail account. Sounds good. I did that. My mail client could no longer fetch my email after that. Even though it's using SSL/TLS with secure credentials.

Brilliant.

Ice Cream Jonsey

That is also good. Your mailbox is now as secure as it can possibly be, not allowing anything in or out.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I don't use OneDrive, but I will probably start in the future. My school email account (which we get for life) comes with 1TB of OneDrive storage. I think I copied something up there once just to make sure it worked.

Google is now offering 200GB a month for $2.99, which is tough to beat. I still use Dropbox, but only for getting things to and from my phone (hard to break up with your first love). I also have a 2TB pCloud account. I guess what I'm saying is, I have a lot of clouds.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

RealNC wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:39 am I have an good one too, I think. I happened today.

I've got an email from GMail that I should disable "insecure access" to my mail account. Sounds good. I did that. My mail client could no longer fetch my email after that. Even though it's using SSL/TLS with secure credentials.

Brilliant.
You just have to go back into the gmail interface and create a unique password that your email client will use then it can access gmail again. I can't give the detailed instructions because I haven't done this in over a year.

Ice Cream Jonsey

CO, I appreciate you helping RealNC in this. While Great Moments in Computer Programming was meant to be a sarcastic thread, in this - Kindness Week - we have solved a problem rather than created one.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I put off major OS updates because it always results in whatever computer I have fucking going corrupt. A couple weeks ago I queued two years of Windows 7 updates. Wasn't going to install them till next week as I have two days of PTO and I don't to spend them with a dead computer.

I tried to watch the rest of Solo tonight.

Ice Cream Jonsey

There was no audio coming from my computer for some reason. I restarted because I forgot that I had the updates queued.

For the last hour it's been stuck at 15% updating.

I bring up the PS4 and start Spider-Man. I swing to the next mission. ITS A GODDAMN AUNT FUCKING MAY MISSION. No powers, just Peter trying to throw a fucking surprise party for his aunt.

I see the computer is stuck so I kill the power. This causes it to restart and it says my OS is gone.

I had one hour to myself while my wife had her online conference. I fucking hate life.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The windows 7 updates were designed to kill your machine so you go get a W10 OS

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I just saw that the Bing and Google bots are registered users here. How is that a thing? And why don't they post more?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

The key is keeping everything up to date, I keep everything up to date and have never had a problem with anything.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy, I'll make an image macro here so you can click on a button and have it say ACTUALLY automatically, it should streamline your experience here as well as help out a great group of kids.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Actually, it wouldn't be automatic if you had to click a button to perform the action.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Fair point.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Discourse.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Isn't that where they play that frisbee golf?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Neither Firefox nor Brave lets you install in a different directory than the default one (at least, if you've installed it once before). Great job fucking that one up, dumb fucks. I wanted to move these two browsers to the SSD I have so I can see them run faster. Welp, that is not happening.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I lost a day at work due to Microsoft's incompetence. I hadn't gotten around to turning off automatic updates (that require a reboot) on my home or work Windows 10 machine.

I *love* that it just shuts its fucking self down without any sort of notice. Every day when I come downstairs to check my email it's a complete surprise if my computer reset itself. This is somehow progress.

So, they reset themselves Wednesday night. I can't have my tests at work run when the machine resets itself. Whatever, I just kicked them off at 9.

There was a SECOND reset that was needed, however, because the dumb sacks of garbage can't get their shit straight. Only this time the work computer's profile got corrupted ... or SOMETHING. Microsoft certainly isn't going to tell me what happened. But I couldn't login. That's ok, deadlines are very flexible.

It gave me this screen with three icons in the right corner. They were all useless. I needed to get into safe mode. I tried rebooting and holding the shift key down. People on the Internet say that works, but it doesn't. Why is it the shift key? There's a Windows key on all keyboards now. Why isn't it that? Why do I have to "hold it down"? Why does it give you no feedback as to whether or not it noticed that you're trying to get into Safe Mode? Why do these fucking hacks pick the time I need information the most to go all barebones and lo fi?

So I couldn't get into Safe mode, but there's some recovery mode that you can enter ... and this is the truth, by cold booting your computer and turning it OFF three times as it tries to start.

That's the way. That's what they want you to do. That's how communicate that you want to recover.

Fucking assholes.

Why don't they create a restore point that recovery can use before they force these updates on people? Seems obvious, right? Can't login but it can display three icons. Instead of the worthless ones they have there (one is seriously "restart" which - if they didn't intercept Cntl-Alt-Delete - they would not need to add, in an amazing way of creating bullshit work for themselves) they could have "Go into Recovery" or "Go into Safe Mode" or "Read the goddamn boot logs."

But no.

I found an option to remove the latest "quality" update. Because I believe in an ironic galaxy I picked that one first. It spun for a while but that was worthless. Your other option is to remove the latest "feature" update. Why don't they list out what they contained? I could connect to the Internet - why don't they bring up a Win 10 forum so I can read what other people are seeing? Why the obsession with the textless blue screens? Anyway, it would not let me remove the latest "feature" update.

It had an option for "saving my files" on a reconstruction of the OS which was dumb bullshit that didn't work, I had to reinstall the programs there. I'm sure those dumb fuckers couldn't wait to remove Chrome in a case like that. I mean, why would anyone care about that. So it didn't go and delete directories of crap I had but without any applications I had to start putting all that stuff on. Config!

Fuck Microsoft.

Ice Cream Jonsey

One other note. There's only been one time in all my time with Windows 10 that I have ever seen a single benefit of their constant, useless updates. The previous update to this one fixed image thumbnail rotation. They had some over-engineered dumbfuck process in place that, and again, I am not making this up, had thumbnails upside down for images that were horizontal ones. This made absolute sense to some waste of space over there and was working as designed.

Someone concussed the style urchin and now there is "rotate right" and "rotate left" for images now. But that's it. That's the only effect I've seen. They corrected something they fucked up so badly a child of four could recognize the error.