My First Experience with Facebook Marketplace (v2)

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

My First Experience with Facebook Marketplace (v2)

Post by Flack »

This past weekend I sold the dragon skeleton I got from Big Lots using Facebook Marketplace. The first lady who responded to my ad complained that I was located too far away. The second lady who responded sent me pictures of her clown room. The third person who responded paid me $120, and I delivered the plastic skeleton to his home. The end!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Re: My First Experience with Facebook Marketplace (v2)

Post by Flack »

Today I listed a set of wheels and tires on Facebook Marketplace. I found a comparable set for $400, so I listed mine for $300. The first person who contacted me asked if I would meet him in Tulsa (120 miles away). He said it's the least I could do, since he lives 300 miles away. I told him that wasn't likely. He called me a dick.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This seems terrible. The whole benefit of using craigslist is that they don't know my name unless I respond. Is there a fee to use Facebook Marketplace? It's $7 to post an ad on craigslist now.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

The opposite of that is also true, which is that on Craigslist sellers don't know a buyer's name, either. With Facebook Marketplace, you can click on the person's profile and at least see if they look like a crazy person.

Facebook Marketplace is free, and once you mark your item as sold it "disconnects" you from any potential buyers. The history of your communication remains, but it doesn't appear they can still message you, which is good.

Flack

Post by Flack »

This morning, a guy told me he wanted the wheels and tires. He came over, paid me for the wheels and tires, and left with them. I guess the key here is to just wait out all the crazy people on days 1 and 2.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:24 pm Like It's $7 to post an ad on craigslist now.
are you serious? Craigslist was always free, literally that was the only reason to use it. When did this happen?

Flack

Post by Flack »

Craigslist is free except for a couple of small areas, like job postings and cars being sold by dealers.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Here here for everyone here who never created a Facebook account!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:57 pm Here here for everyone here who never created a Facebook account!
Does a fake account qualify? A fake account was my only interaction with FB to date.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Craigslist has some other sections where they charge $7 for an ad. They rolled it out to different cities at different times. (Initially it was $5 in Denver, then $7.) I hate to say it, but it actually works. 90, maybe 99% of the ads dropped overnight when they did it. So the ones that are left, someone paid $7 to screech into the ether. If you do use the service now to sell stuff or whatever, it sticks around longer now too. Freeloaders and spammers tried to ruin it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!